2015-16 San Antonio Rampage (AHL) & Fort Wayne Komets (ECHL) l Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Is this the best "developmental team" the Avs have ever had? I haven't followed our prospects much until the last couple years so I have no idea if our teams have ever been good.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hartley won the championship with the Bears in 97. The Bears were also pretty good under Foligno.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Is this the best "developmental team" the Avs have ever had? I haven't followed our prospects much until the last couple years so I have no idea if our teams have ever been good.

This era, absolutely. I know the Monsters made the playoffs once and they might have been decent when they had guys like Shattenkirk, Stewart and such down there but compared to a couple years ago yes they are much better.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Many of the top AHL teams usually have some AHL stars on it (Hensick, Jason Williams etc). Doing it with your own younger talent is different.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
The grass is always greener in SA, sadly.

But the rivers run golder in CO.

sludge9n-6-web.jpg

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
For you Rampage/Avs fans, what do you think the future of Calvin Pickard is? He obviously excelled in his 16 games up last year and has done the same in the AHL thus far this season. From the WHL to the NHL, he's historically had a huge workload facing tons of shots during his career.

I heard Sakic plans to have him in COL next year, but does he have the ability to become an NHL starter and if so, when and where does he begin that journey? Varlamov will be tough to dethrone if the plan was to keep Picks in Denver.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There is quite a bit up in the air right now with the goalie situation as a whole. About the only thing we know (and it isn't even certain) is that Picks will be with the Avs next year.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Word on the street is there might be a Rampage centric podcast soon, so if you want something covered now is the time to mention it. I lieu of slacking on recaps I might have some words prepared soon too.

Regarding Picks, well if Varly doesn't get his crap together this year I don't know what the goalie situation could be. Seems like one has to go to get Picks up permanently. It does seem crazy that Varly could be supplanted and Picks has a long way to go to be a NHL starter but I think he impressed Roy a lot and they want him here. That's all I think any of us really know.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I'm excited and scared at the same time for the upcoming off-season regarding our goaltending situation. Varly will be starter, bet my house on it. Other part of the depth chart is where we run into issues. Not only is there the question of when should Pickard start being the back-up, but we have a young Spencer Martin who sooner rather then later is going to competing for the starting spot in SA.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'm excited and scared at the same time for the upcoming off-season regarding our goaltending situation. Varly will be starter, bet my house on it. Other part of the depth chart is where we run into issues. Not only is there the question of when should Pickard start being the back-up, but we have a young Spencer Martin who sooner rather then later is going to competing for the starting spot in SA.

I think Pickard and Berra both have similar potential, with Pickard being a safer pick.

However, whoever brings in a better deal should get traded. There's a fair amount of teams who seem to be needing a backup coming this offseason.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Pickard's trade value is very low, much like every other young goalie's is when they haven't proven anything.

If Berra can keep up his play this year, he will absolutely have some value on the market and we might even be able to get a 2nd rounder from a desperate team gunning for the playoffs but have lost their starting goalie to injury.

Keep Pickard at all costs, his ceiling is higher than Berras and he's way more mentally tough from all those years of playing in behind of all those garbage teams.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Think Pickard has more value then Berra. Pickard is younger and has been developing nicely plus has that really nice stint in the NHL. Berra has a shaky history plus a resurgence.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Think Pickard has more value then Berra. Pickard is younger and has been developing nicely plus has that really nice stint in the NHL. Berra has a shaky history plus a resurgence.

I agree.

I'd expect at least a 2nd if we moved either of them, probably in the offseason though. That's usually when we've seen backups get traded (Lindback, Enroth, Talbot, Jones, Scrivens, etc).

A lot of those goalies looked good while playing for a good team and system too. If Berra can keep up his play, i'm sure other teams will take that into account that he put up more than respectable numbers on a non-playoff team.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Pickard has the higher potential but most teams have a goalie prospect they like and nobody is going to bring him in to be their starter. Someone desperate this year could look at Berra. The thing that hurts both is term on Berra and that Pickard won't be waiver exempt next year, a team has to be ready to give him a NHL job. I'd say Berra has more value to the league but Pickard is more valuable to us. If Berra keeps his numbers up someone might pull the trigger.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
If you look at Berra's stats from last season and this season, he looks pretty decente for a backup. Plays 20 games and puts up decent numbers. I'd say that's worth 2nd what we paid for him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
My theory on Berra... I don't think Burke really wanted to get rid of him and I think the Avs really wanted to use a 3rd (missed out on Scrivens because of the difference between Edmonton and Colorado's 3rd). In the end the Avs caved and paid a 2nd to make sure they got Allaire's guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->