Prospect Info: 2015-16 Rangers Prospects Thread Part III (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.28.16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Skates like luc robitaille though from what I saw hope I'm wrong there but very ugly

I don't think its 'very ugly' at all. Graceful, no. Reminds me of Stepan when he first came into the league - small but quick choppy strides when he accelerates. Best thing to know about Fogarty's skating is its gotten better every year of College and he has no problems getting from point A to point B, especially cause he see's the ice so well, puts himself into opportunistic spots, much like our Oscar Lindberg does.

Maybe Fog can take to fighting and become Glass II... ;)

I think Fogarty could hold his own, but I don't think he's a fighter at the Pro level. Doesn't have the demeanor, nor should his talents be used in that way, IMO.

Here's a better view from a youtube video that a Finnish poster in the prospect forum made.

The beauty is in that pass - looks directly towards the net yet makes a nice almost no look pass to a WIDE open Joe Cirella ;)

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Fogarty and Notre Dame shutout one of the Nations top teams, BU, 1-0. Goalie Cal Petersen(2013 5th rd Buffalo) with the 39 save shutout.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Fogarty and Notre Dame shutout one of the Nations top teams, BU, 1-0. Goalie Cal Petersen(2013 5th rd Buffalo) with the 39 save shutout.

Do you see him making the jump next season or does he spend a year in A?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Do you see him making the jump next season or does he spend a year in A?

Depends on the situation up on the big club.

Lindberg could have and maybe should have been playing full time last year, but he was pretty much blocked. Fogarty will be the same age. If he does his one year tour in Hartford he'd still be 24 heading into training camp 2017.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Depends on the situation up on the big club.

Lindberg could have and maybe should have been playing full time last year, but he was pretty much blocked. Fogarty will be the same age. If he does his one year tour in Hartford he'd still be 24 heading into training camp 2017.

We have 1 more year of Tanner Glasss contract but Moore's contract ends this summer. I would be all for it to have a 4th line of Hrivik-Lindberg-Fogarty and have Glass as our spare

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As RangerBoy said, Saarela's contract is up in five games with Assat, assuming they don't make the playoffs, and they probably won't. I say send him to the AHL immediately. It'll challenge him, and I think he's ready for the challenge. Lets evaluate him on his production and skill-set, not his age and draft position.

Is Liiga a proper league for his development anymore? I don't think an 18/19 year old is really being challenged when he's the 4th leading goal scorer in a league, despite missing 9 games, having 16+9=25 points in his last 29 games. The light-bulb went off for him in around the middle of November, and he's been a different level player since then. The kid's the best player on his team, plays all situations, he's playing 19:51 per game in February, which is crazy high for a forward. He's ready for a new challenge. I don't know what more the Rangers want him to accomplish, unless people think its important that he's scoring around a PPG and half a goal per game for a full season? I'd rather progress the kid to a better level, and let him face a new challenge than have him return to Liiga next season.

Can I also give perhaps my favorite Saarela stat? In January he was 57.15% on face-offs. Over the course of a season, that's top 5-10 in most leagues, its face-off dominance. He's only around 49% this month and his defense hasn't been as good this month as prior months, something that a Finnish poster pointed out a few days ago, maybe because he's getting tired, but he's 51.2% on FO's for the season as an 18/19 year, which is 22nd in Liiga for guys who've taken 500+ draws. This is a skill that young players usually struggle with a lot in men's leagues. Not a single rookie in the NHL with at least 300 draws taken thats even 50%.

Anyone speak Finnish? I found the Finnish HF and they have a whole thread on Aleksi

http://keskustelu.jatkoaika.com/threads/aleksi-saarela-–-ganalim-barttan-crosby.58120/page-66

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Could go either well, but Saarela must be on the Finish radar for the WCHs. Or either way, I think it's a bit of a long shot for him to make that team, but just being on a preliminary roster would delay the opertunity for him to go to the AHL.

BTW my Finish is very weak, think some are questioning his defense/team play though in that thread.

Last edited:

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Yeah in that Aleksi Saarela thread in jatkoaika they were talking about his attitude issues, he does things offensively but he isn't interested about defending. Probably the coach change wasn't good for him. His old coach was old guy who was great for young players.

But they really think this is attitude thing, he just don't play for the logo, he plays for himself. He probably has contract with Lukko (rival for Ässät) for next season and it maybe shows. But I think it's possible he is in the NA next season.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Yeah in that Aleksi Saarela thread in jatkoaika they were talking about his attitude issues, he does things offensively but he isn't interested about defending. Probably the coach change wasn't good for him. His old coach was old guy who was great for young players.

But they really think this is attitude thing, he just don't play for the logo, he plays for himself. He probably has contract with Lukko (rival for Ässät) for next season and it maybe shows. But I think it's possible he is in the NA next season.

Interesting, let's get him to the Pack and check out his attitude first hand. The vets will set him straight and he can learn some defense or sit.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Interesting, let's get him to the Pack and check out his attitude first hand. The vets will set him straight and he can learn some defense or sit.

The Internet is the same all over lol, if I understood it right one guy had the same opinion on AS for several years and he called AS selfish and one-dimensional, the others where crapping on him. Lot of things I didn't pick up either, but AS dad was also a famous player in Finland, and if I remember correctly he was definitely a bit of a slacker for real. These type of things can go a long way back lol.

Anyway, I have zero concern about AS attitude.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Kovacs and Saarela once again showing how dominant the Rangers have been recently in their third-round drafting.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Kovacs and Saarela once again showing how dominant the Rangers have been recently in their third-round drafting.

These are relatively new picks, I'd give it some more time before I'd throw around 'dominant', but you can say it's looking pretty promising so far. I think Saars is the real gem here, I'm looking forward to seeing him in NA.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

I feel it was between either Kovacs or Saarela going to Carolina. I think this was the reason why they sent Saarela instead of Kovacs. Both have great shots. Both are feisty two way threats. Kovacs has more of an edge. Saarela has a better hockey IQ. Rangers lack edge with skill.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I feel it was between either Kovacs or Saarela going to Carolina. I think this was the reason why they sent Saarela instead of Kovacs. Both have great shots. Both are feisty two way threats. Kovacs has more of an edge. Saarela has a better hockey IQ. Rangers lack edge with skill.

I think they wanted Saarela because of Aho.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Like PB said, it was definitely because they have Aho and an outside chance of possibly Puljujärvi or Laine in June.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad