Prospect Info: 2015-16 Rangers Prospects Thread Part III (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.28.16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
You should have chosen your game better. :sarcasm:

They play today again and Saarela has one primary assist after two. :)

I honestly love the game Saarela brings. His shot looks absolutely lethal. He seems to have a solid two-way game. What is there not to like about the guy if he stays healthy?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
3rd's are valuable when you have Gordie Clark running your draft. Thats why I don't want to be throwing in mid-round picks to any trades we make. I'd rather trade players who's stock has slipped some than picks that could turn into the next Buchnevich, Duclair or Saarela.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Tyler Nanne has Myocarditis? Can someone provide a link for that? I can't find it anywhere online.

Tyler Nanne, grandson of Minnesota hockey icon Lou Nanne, isn’t playing with the Ohio State team the Gophers hosted this weekend because he’s still recovering from a heart ailment. Nanne, a freshman defenseman from Edina, still has four months of recovery from myocardis, a heart infection.

http://www.twincities.com/2015/12/0...-zimmer-in-the-running-for-coach-of-the-year/

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Tyler Nanne has Myocarditis? Can someone provide a link for that? I can't find it anywhere online.

this was posted at Prospects thread in january

01-17-2016, 01:58 AM #517
Pavel Buchnevich Registered User

I don't know if its been mentioned yet, but apparently Tyler Nanne our 5th round pick in 2014 hasn't played so far this season at Ohio State because he's dealing with a heart ailment called myocardis, which is a heart infection. This article mentioned this information, and said the recovery time is another four months. http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci...oach-year.html

here is the full URL and the relevant content:
http://www.twincities.com/2015/12/0...-zimmer-in-the-running-for-coach-of-the-year/

Tyler Nanne, grandson of Minnesota hockey icon Lou Nanne, isn’t playing with the Ohio State team the Gophers hosted this weekend because he’s still recovering from a heart ailment. Nanne, a freshman defenseman from Edina, still has four months of recovery from myocardis, a heart infection.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Two more pts by Kovac today, real good year by him in Allsvenskan. He is 19th overal in scoring, but he also missed 7 of 50 games when he was up in the SHL. In PPG and GPG he is 9th and 3rd overal. Impressive. He is not a mega star at that level but he is producing well in a very low scoring league.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
two more pts by kovac today, real good year by him in allsvenskan. He is 19th overal in scoring, but he also missed 7 of 50 games when he was up in the shl. In ppg and gpg he is 9th and 3rd overal. Impressive. He is not a mega star at that level but he is producing well in a very low scoring league.

Shesty31

Jul 10, 2011
Connecticut

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Two more pts by Kovac today, real good year by him in Allsvenskan. He is 19th overal in scoring, but he also missed 7 of 50 games when he was up in the SHL. In PPG and GPG he is 9th and 3rd overal. Impressive. He is not a mega star at that level but he is producing well in a very low scoring league.

Same league Phillip Forsberg played in right?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Same league Phillip Forsberg played in right?

Yes, and they also had similar stats in their 1st post draft year, Forsberg with better assist numbers, Kovacs with better goals numbers. Total points was pretty close. Forsberg with about a .05 advantage per game.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yes, and they also had similar stats in their 1st post draft year, Forsberg with better assist numbers, Kovacs with better goals numbers. Total points was pretty close. Forsberg with about a .05 advantage per game.

Kovacs got a bunch of goals from shoot outs where he's automatic. Still very solid numbers regardless.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
How is Kovacs not considered a top 5 or at least a top 7 prospect for the Rangers? Because he was a late round pick?

He might very well have a big impact on the team in the future. Does he PK :naughty:?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
How is Kovacs not considered a top 5 or at least a top 7 prospect for the Rangers? Because he was a late round pick?

He might very well have a big impact on the team in the future. Does he PK :naughty:?

actually after the big 3 (Buch, Graves, Skjei) and the goalies, the next 6-8 guys are equally promising and hard to gauge, especially the F's - Kovacs, Gropp, Saarela, Tambellini, Nieves, with Morrison, Bernhardt and Fogarty right behind

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Shooutout goals count toward their totals in that league?

Maybe he means penalty shots. I think teams can choose any player to take the PS. Kovacs takes all of them.

Actually, yes, the GWG in the shootout is counted as a goal. We noticed this a few weeks ago when Kovacs scored the only goal in a SO win. It's different but I think it kinda makes sense.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Because being a top 5-7 prospect immediately following a draft year is tough

Including the current rookies

1. Buch
2. McI
3. Lindberg
4. Graves
5. Skjei
6. Saarela
7. Shesty

Without the current rookies

1. Buch
2. Graves
3. Skjei
4. Saarela
5. Shesty
6. Halverson
7. Gropp

I could see an argument for him being 6 or 7 on the second list, but even Saarela is barely a top 6 prospect in a Rangers farm system that lacks depth.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

I'll tell you why, Richard ****ING Grönfors lol.

Seriously, the kid should have played in the Effin WJCs and if he plays he ends up on the 1st line when W Nyls goes down, and probably scores a lot of pts there...

From my point of view, Kovac was a very good pick. Compared to Filip Forsberg (who also played in the Allsvenskan) Kovac is however much more one-dimensional, but he is talented, effective and especially just always manage to get noticed on the ice. Ends up in the middle of things when he is out there. He is very cocky. He leads his team in PIMs etc.

He isn't as complete as other kids we have brought up lately, but he has potential as a goal scorer and maybe a bit of an agitator.

On ranking him against our other prospects, I think it's really hard. I would have wanted him to play in the WJCs to get more compareables. From my POV he could be better than Saarela or worse, I just can't tell after only watching Kovac a bit in one environment and Saarela only in another environment. But I do notice that Kovac has out scored Saarela in he four nation tournaments where both have played. Overall think Saarela is more complete, while Kovac is more of a scorer.

Shestyorkin BTW is the prospect with the highest potential we have had since Lundqvist. Shestyorkin could win a Hart Trophy, he is a exciting young goalie. But the road to the NHL is really long for a kid like him, I am not even sure if he ever will play a NHL game. How do you rank that against our other prospects?

Last edited:

Stavros

Nov 30, 2015
Saarela has been poor defensively recently, he has been watching goals scored in the own end from close distance too many times. He has good d-zone positioning but he should actually do something and not just pretend to be defending. Yesterday he was on ice twice on 5-5 when scored against. eight - goals in seven last games, only 13 in 38 games before that.

I have been praising his 2-way game too but i think that he is getting bit too much credit of his defensive game and maybe too little of his offensive game here. Im not worried about his defense though, players of this age have always some flaws in their game.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I know Sean Avery has been named as a comparable player for Kovacs, but does anyone else see potential for him to be a Marchand-esque player?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I know Sean Avery has been named as a comparable player for Kovacs, but does anyone else see potential for him to be a Marchand-esque player?

I think Marchand is a closer comparable than Avery. Avery wasn't as much of a goal scorer as a playmaker. Sean was underrated at setting people up.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Kovacs is definitely going to be our Marchand, so long as he continues to develop this way and is able to translate his scoring/agitation to the NHL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad