Prospect Info: 2015-16 Rangers Prospects Thread Part III (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.28.16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Fast is everything you want in a bottom-6 forward: smart defensively, , great forechecker, utilizes his body well, can play in the corners, and keeps it simple and gets the puck out of danger.

At every level he's played, the offense always comes later. He does have decent skills and a pretty good shot, the issue is he doesn't really exude confidence when the pucks on his stick. He's still young and can grow into that though, but for the time being, he should be a staple in our bottom-6.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Fast is everything you want in a bottom-6 forward: smart defensively, , great forechecker, utilizes his body well, can play in the corners, and keeps it simple and gets the puck out of danger.

At every level he's played, the offense always comes later. He does have decent skills and a pretty good shot, the issue is he doesn't really exude confidence when the pucks on his stick. He's still young and can grow into that though, but for the time being, he should be a staple in our bottom-6.

Yep the confidence will come with experience.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I've always liked Fast--I've always been a big fan of the bottom-6 cog guys. They'll never be the face of the clock, but they'll help keep it moving.

I see Fast being a bit similar to Pageau, who is another player I really like that I think a lot of people didn't see a whole lot of upside in (though I think JGP has more offense). Anyway, JGP just had himself a 43 point season, and Fast put up 30. They'll never be league leaders, and if there's ever a trade, they'd likely be sweeteners instead of main pieces, but they're important pieces to have, and there's still a chance they can elevate play ala JGP this past season.

A strong bottom 6 is really important. I think that's what keeps costing the Caps. Just look at the Pens this year...when their top-6 was seeing the opposition's best defensive players, the bottom-6 was going to work.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
fast biggest value right now is as a penalty killer...we are losing moore, might lose stalberg and talking about trading stepan and nash. if those 4 are gone who is killing penalties? Tanner glass becomes one of your top 2 PK forwards lol

fixing the pk starts with hank and the blueline but we are really thin up front on guys that can kill penalties...there are guys that might be able to do it, but haven't in the past

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
fast biggest value right now is as a penalty killer...we are losing moore, might lose stalberg and talking about trading stepan and nash. if those 4 are gone who is killing penalties? Tanner glass becomes one of your top 2 PK forwards lol

fixing the pk starts with hank and the blueline but we are really thin up front on guys that can kill penalties...there are guys that might be able to do it, but haven't in the past

Fast should be fine as a pk'er. Could use more experience there and be far more active, but looks like he can do it. Glass should not be there. Lindberg might have the capability as he's got a 2-way game, but it's also a bit of a waste of his offensive ability. Nash is good enough at it and can skate the puck. Stepan can do it.

Some combination of the following, I'd guess:

Stepan - Nash
Staal - McIlrath

Lindberg - Fast
McDonagh - Girardi

Anything extra would just help with depth. You know AV will put Glass there. Whoever the FA signing is will probably be there as well, be it Stalberg or a Hrivik call-up. I feel like Miller might be okay at it as well with a bit more physicality.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Fast should be fine as a pk'er. Could use more experience there and be far more active, but looks like he can do it. Glass should not be there. Lindberg might have the capability as he's got a 2-way game, but it's also a bit of a waste of his offensive ability. Nash is good enough at it and can skate the puck. Stepan can do it.

Some combination of the following, I'd guess:

Stepan - Nash
Staal - McIlrath

Lindberg - Fast
McDonagh - Girardi

Anything extra would just help with depth. You know AV will put Glass there. Whoever the FA signing is will probably be there as well, be it Stalberg or a Hrivik call-up. I feel like Miller might be okay at it as well with a bit more physicality.

stepan & nash are our 2 best PK forwards...but what happens if they get traded for blueline help, a prospect and 1st?

and lindberg should be able to do it but he's hurt and won't be ready to start the season

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
stepan & nash are our 2 best PK forwards...but what happens if they get traded for blueline help, a prospect and 1st?

and lindberg should be able to do it but he's hurt and won't be ready to start the season

I'd wager only one of them goes this off-season. Unless a deal wows the FO, I don't see both.

Either way, you get a buy-low bottom 6 option. A Stalberg. Or they could go younger and try to get a guy like Mike Halmo on a 2-way deal coming off a decent AHL season and see if he sticks. I think there will be plenty of bottom-6 options in FA.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

None of our players are particularly great on the pk...Nash and Stepan
Are good only because they are scoring options..not sure they are great posts in the classic get the puck outta the zone after retrieving and winning a board battle.

Honestly losing hagelin was felt most on the pk

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
im not in favor of moving Fasth because of 1 reason...he's one of a very few number of players that can get in on the forecheck and win puck battles. Say what you want about his near nonexistant (at times) offensive skills..but the kid works his ass off below the hashmarks. goes in hard on the forecheck, and doesnt stop skating till he wins a puck battle or the shift is over. we have WAY too many guys that glide back after the other team has the puck.

why do the pens win so one sided? when the other team has the puck, they have 5 guys on the ice doing everything they can to get the puck back. they dont just drop back and defend, they ACTIVELY try to retrieve pucks. Fasth is very good at that. Frankly i wish more of our guys were like him in this regard.

Its one thing that Stepan is very good at too...but Brassard sucks at.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
There's no reason to trade cheap young guys like Fast and Lindberg. They're young, cheap, useful, won't bring back too much in return. Keep whoever is already familiar with the team.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Fast just had 30 points at mostly ES with extremely inconsistent linemates.

Why are we discussing him like offense dies on his stick?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Fast just had 30 points at mostly ES with extremely inconsistent linemates.

Why are we discussing him like offense dies on his stick?

30 points isn't much to go crazy about.

And I think the argument was he is not a 2nd line player, not whether or not he has offensive skills, he obviously has enough to be a 3rd liner.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
30 points isn't much to go crazy about.

And I think the argument was he is not a 2nd line player, not whether or not he has offensive skills, he obviously has enough to be a 3rd liner.

Well, I won't argue with that.

But I don't think he's this easily replaceable player like we're discussing.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
12 2015-2016 Season JESPERFAST NYR 971.55 CHRISKREIDER 33.4
J.T.MILLER 27.7
DERICKBRASSARD 27.5
DEREKSTEPAN 23.1

His 4 most common forward linemates. its not like they sucked.

he had 30 points sure...20 assists...3 empty net goals, and im sure a handful of empty net assists.

he just never strikes me as a good offensive player in the offensive zone...hes a good role player...for sure. but i feel like his best impact is as a 4th liner.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
12 2015-2016 Season JESPERFAST NYR 971.55 CHRISKREIDER 33.4
J.T.MILLER 27.7
DERICKBRASSARD 27.5
DEREKSTEPAN 23.1

His 4 most common forward linemates. its not like they sucked.

he had 30 points sure...20 assists...3 empty net goals, and im sure a handful of empty net assists.

he just never strikes me as a good offensive player in the offensive zone...hes a good role player...for sure. but i feel like his best impact is as a 4th liner.

Those are my thoughts. I'm the one who started this discussion by saying IF Jensen impresses enough in camp, it might make Fast available. Somehow, though, he's reaching untouchable status.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
The similarity between Hagelin and Fast is that they're both players that can be plugged in anywhere in the lineup and they'll do a competent job. Fast is smart, works hard and has some offensive skill. He's not an "ideal" second line player in terms of pure offensive, but playing alongside two guys that are good offensively he'll not look out of place and will contribute. He's a perfect complimentary player. I said the same thing about Hagelin forever and people responded with asinine "observations" that he was a stupid player who lacked hockey sense. Well, I think we really miss that stupid player and the nonsensical things he did. Fast isn't yet on Hagelin's level, but he soon will be. It would be a mistake to make him a throw-in because we wouldn't get equal value.

Couldn't agree more with this post. :handclap:

It'll come, but yes he is absolutely a defensive staple.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I've always liked Fast--I've always been a big fan of the bottom-6 cog guys. They'll never be the face of the clock, but they'll help keep it moving.

I see Fast being a bit similar to Pageau, who is another player I really like that I think a lot of people didn't see a whole lot of upside in (though I think JGP has more offense). Anyway, JGP just had himself a 43 point season, and Fast put up 30. They'll never be league leaders, and if there's ever a trade, they'd likely be sweeteners instead of main pieces, but they're important pieces to have, and there's still a chance they can elevate play ala JGP this past season.

A strong bottom 6 is really important. I think that's what keeps costing the Caps. Just look at the Pens this year...when their top-6 was seeing the opposition's best defensive players, the bottom-6 was going to work.

Well said and agreed with Pageau. :handclap:

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The similarity between Hagelin and Fast is that they're both players that can be plugged in anywhere in the lineup and they'll do a competent job. Fast is smart, works hard and has some offensive skill. He's not an "ideal" second line player in terms of pure offensive, but playing alongside two guys that are good offensively he'll not look out of place and will contribute. He's a perfect complimentary player. I said the same thing about Hagelin forever and people responded with asinine "observations" that he was a stupid player who lacked hockey sense. Well, I think we really miss that stupid player and the nonsensical things he did. Fast isn't yet on Hagelin's level, but he soon will be. It would be a mistake to make him a throw-in because we wouldn't get equal value.

From my vantage point he does look out of place. He's a tweener in my book. He's excellent for the 4th line, but, with extended minutes on the 3rd line he will put up average numbers at best. As Inferno pointed out, his most common linemates were four out of our top five offensive players. Essentially he put up average 3rd line numbers while playing with top 6 forwards. Those numbers can and will easily be eclipsed by better offensive players, which is why I cringe when AV puts him in those spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille