Prospect Info: 2015-16 Rangers Prospects Thread Part III (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.28.16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
The presence of Jensen could make Fast available in the right deal, especially with Buchnevich joining the team, the possible signing of Vesey and what the fallout is from the possible deals the Rangers make.

What is Fast going to get us in return? Nothing that great. He's a dime a dozen type player.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
The presence of Jensen could make Fast available in the right deal, especially with Buchnevich joining the team, the possible signing of Vesey and what the fallout is from the possible deals the Rangers make.

NYR would be stupid to move Fast right now. He's underrated beyond belief.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
NYR would be stupid to move Fast right now. He's underrated beyond belief.

So, let's say the Rangers sign Vesey who wins a spot in training camp, Jensen impresses in camp, the Rangers keep Zucc and Buch earns a spot. Now add in maybe getting wingers in deals for Nash, maybe Staal, or maybe in a deal for one of Stepan or Brassard? Nice problem I know, but, where do you put Fast?

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
So, let's say the Rangers sign Vesey who wins a spot in training camp, Jensen impresses in camp, the Rangers keep Zucc and Buch earns a spot. Now add in maybe getting wingers in deals for Nash, maybe Staal, or maybe in a deal for one of Stepan or Brassard? Nice problem I know, but, where do you put Fast?

On the 4th line where he belongs.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Except that premise of my point was that if Jensen plays well enough to earn a spot on the 4th line, he makes Fast available in a trade.

I suppose that is true. Though I agree with the general sentiment, which is that he's more valuable to us than as an add on in a trade.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Hrivik-Lindberg-Fast should be our 4th line next year. It would be a high quality 4th line. Jensen and Glass would be the fill-ins.

Also, since Glass will cost under a million in real money this season and it's his last year, a team without cap trouble would possibly take him in the waiver draft. Presumably, he'll be exposed again, but with less money due to him and less term left, it's more likely that he gets picked up.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Hrivik-Lindberg-Fast should be our 4th line next year. It would be a high quality 4th line. Jensen and Glass would be the fill-ins.

Also, since Glass will cost under a million in real money this season and it's his last year, a team without cap trouble would possibly take him in the waiver draft. Presumably, he'll be exposed again, but with less money due to him and less term left, it's more likely that he gets picked up.

You mean a team might pick him off waivers if and when the Rangers waive him at the end of training camp correct? Thought they did away with the waiver draft many years ago!

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
hrivik definitely deserves to be in the mix for the 4th line...not sure who will center that line though while lindberg is out

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

IMHO, the Rangers aren't impressive enough for Vesey to sign there. He's fielding offers from just about anywhere, except Nashville, and he'll go to a team that will fit him in now. NYR would have to give up one of Kreider and/or Hayes to fit him in and one of those spots is already for Buchnevich.

Jensen will get a good look in camp, but he's not top 6 quality yet. I don't think its possible to see him translate what he did over in Europe to training camp with such a big gap between the two. It's hard to keep that motivation up for 3 or 4 months. I would much rather have a proven Fast take the middle 6 role rather than a spotty Jensen during the season. Think he edges out Glass for the 4th line/13th forward duty. I'm not completely sold on him, yet. There is still plenty of time for Jensen to develop.

What wingers are you trying to grab with a Nash or Staal deal? They are cap dumps, if moved. NYR would most likely get younger, more promising prospects in a Nash or Staal trade to ultimately compete with Jensen, Hrivik and Co. Any proven winger or defender would replace either Nash or Staal (or get another failed attempt aka Etem). I won't comment on a Stepan or Brassard trade because I think NYR would need to get an overpayment worthy return for either of them to be moved. Stepan is a huge two-way center that don't come around often and Brassard is a huge offensive weapon for them.

Others will disagree, but I honestly think Fast most definitely can be a consistent top 6 winger. Defensively sound, responsible in his position, can pot gorgeous goals, can play make, has excellent hand-eye coordination, doesn't take dumb penalties, can hit and can skate. It's hard to point out any specific flaw to his game, he's just that solid. Even put in an undermining role, like the bottom 6, he's excellent at the basic flow of the game. Helps give the Rangers other scoring chances from another line.

In conclusion, Fast is unnoticed by most of the fans on theses boards. If most were paying attention, Fast tallied 10 goals and 20 assists this year amassing 30 points in 79 games. Was also a plus-9 and only had 18 PIM.... from predominate play on the bottom 6. When put with players that are higher caliber, he makes plays like this....

Wake Up, people! Fast is not a "dime a dozen". NYR needs to utilize what they have in Fast and you won't need to sign Vesey.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
IMHO, the Rangers aren't impressive enough for Vesey to sign there. He's fielding offers from just about anywhere, except Nashville, and he'll go to a team that will fit him in now. NYR would have to give up one of Kreider and/or Hayes to fit him in and one of those spots is already for Buchnevich.

Jensen will get a good look in camp, but he's not top 6 quality yet. I don't think its possible to see him translate what he did over in Europe to training camp with such a big gap between the two. It's hard to keep that motivation up for 3 or 4 months. I would much rather have a proven Fast take the middle 6 role rather than a spotty Jensen during the season. Think he edges out Glass for the 4th line/13th forward duty. I'm not completely sold on him, yet. There is still plenty of time for Jensen to develop.

What wingers are you trying to grab with a Nash or Staal deal? They are cap dumps, if moved. NYR would most likely get younger, more promising prospects in a Nash or Staal trade to ultimately compete with Jensen, Hrivik and Co. Any proven winger or defender would replace either Nash or Staal (or get another failed attempt aka Etem). I won't comment on a Stepan or Brassard trade because I think NYR would need to get an overpayment worthy return for either of them to be moved. Stepan is a huge two-way center that don't come around often and Brassard is a huge offensive weapon for them.

Others will disagree, but I honestly think Fast most definitely can be a consistent top 6 winger. Defensively sound, responsible in his position, can pot gorgeous goals, can play make, has excellent hand-eye coordination, doesn't take dumb penalties, can hit and can skate. It's hard to point out any specific flaw to his game, he's just that solid. Even put in an undermining role, like the bottom 6, he's excellent at the basic flow of the game. Helps give the Rangers other scoring chances from another line.

In conclusion, Fast is unnoticed by most of the fans on theses boards. If most were paying attention, Fast tallied 10 goals and 20 assists this year amassing 30 points in 79 games. Was also a plus-9 and only had 18 PIM.... from predominate play on the bottom 6. When put with players that are higher caliber, he makes plays like this....

Wake Up, people! Fast is not a "dime a dozen". NYR needs to utilize what they have in Fast and you won't need to sign Vesey.

You are right, there is no glaring flaws, but there is nothing that good either. He's a good defensive player that will put in 3rd and 4th line numbers. Just like most other 3rd and 4th line..hence the reason why he is a dime a dozen player. He was tried on the 2nd line a few times and brought the line down and was usually moved back quickly to the 3rd/4th line.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
You are right, there is no glaring flaws, but there is nothing that good either. He's a good defensive player that will put in 3rd and 4th line numbers. Just like most other 3rd and 4th line..hence the reason why he is a dime a dozen player. He was tried on the 2nd line a few times and brought the line down and was usually moved back quickly to the 3rd/4th line.

Dude, what?

He's a dime a dozen player because he logs 3rd and 4th line minutes and when put on the 2nd line, he brought the line down....

I really hope you don't mean that. Have you seen how AV works? He doesn't often give chances for younger guys to step up into the top 6. A few stints doesn't make or break it. Most of whom have watched Rangers games this year, can easily tell you that Fast does have offensive upside. He always had. Granted he did have a few empty netters, but some of the goals he had this year were deflections and top-circle wristers. Even has slick hands, where we can all recollect the nice goals on Bishop and Khudobin. He wasn't given a chance this year because NYR's bottom 6 was brutal, especially the 4th line. AV pretty much sent Fast down there to clean up the mess and eventually got left there with no help. This year Fast carried the bottom 6 on his back. He most definitely deserves his shot at true offense.

He started scoring more and created better chances when in the top 6, especially when the lines were switched up. I remember seeing a line of Kreider-Brassard-Fast that was all over the offensive zone, granted I think it was against Buffalo. Nonetheless, they thrived off of offensive possession and Fast ended up scoring a beauty slap shot for a goal. In the playoffs last season (14/15 season), he was on a line with Stepan and Miller that also flourished and were the main cognate to those amazing OT goals in the Caps series.

This article has the right idea...

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-east/metropolitan/rangers-jesper-fast-emerging-unexpected-hero//

Before I end this tirade, there is a specific quote from this article that I absolutely couldn't agree more with....

"A player like Fast may never win a major individual trophy because he doesn’t have the pedigree to be a league leader, but he has the chance to be a key cog on a Stanley Cup championship team. He’s very similar in style to Ruslan Fedotenko sans offensive upside, and it is funny that the two-time Stanley Cup champion played for both Eastern Conference finalists.

Right now Fast has more than exceeded expectations, because it is unlikely that anyone in the Rangers’ organization thought the former sixth rounder would be playing a vital role on a team poised to return to New York’s “Canyon of Heroes”"

Sound familiar?

* Cough * Cough * Hagelin

Tired of the overlooking of certain players. Hagelin was considered a dime a dozen player last offseason and look how big of a component he was to the Bonino and Kessel line. The Rangers better not do the same thing to Fast.

Marcus Kruger. Another name that could be considered a dime a dozen player, would be a huge loss for Chicago's north/south, bottom 6 threat defensively and offensively. Good thing they locked him up.

Melker Karlsson and Matt Nieto on San Jose, Ondrej Palat and Vladislav Namestnikov on Tampa Bay, Antoine Roussel and Radek Faksa on Dallas. The list goes on.

I promise you, if Fast gets a chance to regularly be in the top 6, you'll understand what I see.

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Dude, what?

He's a dime a dozen player because he logs 3rd and 4th line minutes and when put on the 2nd line, he brought the line down....

I really hope you don't mean that. Have you seen how AV works? He doesn't often give chances for younger guys to step up into the top 6. A few stints doesn't make or break it. Most of whom have watched Rangers games this year, can easily tell you that Fast does have offensive upside. He always had. Granted he did have a few empty netters, but some of the goals he had this year were deflections and top-circle wristers. Even has slick hands, where we can all recollect the nice goals on Bishop and Khudobin. He wasn't given a chance this year because NYR's bottom 6 was brutal, especially the 4th line. AV pretty much sent Fast down there to clean up the mess and eventually got left there with no help. This year Fast carried the bottom 6 on his back. He most definitely deserves his shot at true offense.

He started scoring more and created better chances when in the top 6, especially when the lines were switched up. I remember seeing a line of Kreider-Brassard-Fast that was all over the offensive zone, granted I think it was against Buffalo. Nonetheless, they thrived off of offensive possession and Fast ended up scoring a beauty slap shot for a goal. In the playoffs last season (14/15 season), he was on a line with Stepan and Miller that also flourished and were the main cognate to those amazing OT goals in the Caps series.

This article has the right idea...

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-east/metropolitan/rangers-jesper-fast-emerging-unexpected-hero//

Before I end this tirade, there is a specific quote from this article that I absolutely couldn't agree more with....

"A player like Fast may never win a major individual trophy because he doesn’t have the pedigree to be a league leader, but he has the chance to be a key cog on a Stanley Cup championship team. He’s very similar in style to Ruslan Fedotenko sans offensive upside, and it is funny that the two-time Stanley Cup champion played for both Eastern Conference finalists.

Right now Fast has more than exceeded expectations, because it is unlikely that anyone in the Rangers’ organization thought the former sixth rounder would be playing a vital role on a team poised to return to New York’s “Canyon of Heroes”"

Sound familiar?

* Cough * Cough * Hagelin

Tired of the overlooking of certain players. Hagelin was considered a dime a dozen player last offseason and look how big of a component he was to the Bonino and Kessel line. The Rangers better not do the same thing to Fast.

Marcus Kruger. Another name that could be considered a dime a dozen player, would be a huge loss for Chicago's north/south, bottom 6 threat defensively and offensively. Good thing they locked him up.

Melker Karlsson and Matt Nieto on San Jose, Ondrej Palat and Vladislav Namestnikov on Tampa Bay, Antoine Roussel and Radek Faksa on Dallas. The list goes on.

I promise you, if Fast gets a chance to regularly be in the top 6, you'll understand what I see.

I think you are really overrating Fast. Most here would agree he is not a 2nd line player and likely will never be one. He likely won't see 2nd line minutes either because we will always have better players than him to play the wing unless injuries occur.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
What do we consider 2nd line minutes to be? Fast played over 15 mins in 40 games this year and was in the high 14 mins many more times. Leaving out E Staal's epic 20 games of awesomness Fast was 6th amongst forwards in avg ice time, TOI/60 and TOI/even.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Why would they have to move Kreider or Hayes? If Nash goes, and the Rangers don't re-sign Stalberg, there are two open spots on RW...one for Buch one for Vesey. And Brooks has written that the Rangers are going to push hard for Vesey, so while you may believe the Rangers don't need him, Ranger brass disagrees.

I do not anticipate seeing Jensen in a top 6 role, or even a 3rd line role, for that matter. My point was that he could impress enough to earn a spot on the 4th line.

Cap dumps for Nash? Hardly...I think it's more likely that the Rangers will retain money to get a better return. And what if a Silfverberg or Jurco or Wilson comes back in a deal for Nash? I think you're underselling Nash's value on the trade market.

As for Brassard or Stepan being moved, the more I read, the more I'm convinced one of them is getting moved this off-season.

I fully disagree about Fast being a top 6 forward, especially when better offensive players such as Zucc and Buch would be in the lineup.

And, as a footnote, weren't you claiming that you could see the Rangers signing Loui Eriksson? That move would put Fast on the 4th line as well.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Until Jensen can actually prove he's an NHL player I think it's premature to be looking at him as a replacement for Fast. I'd agree that Jesper shouldn't be in our top 6 but he's very acceptable on the third line and an A+ option as a 4th line player.

Jesper is also a very good penalty killer. It's been part of his resume pretty much since he came to North America. If Jensen is going to make the team he's going to need to be defensively responsible and he's going to need to have a positive impact on specialty teams and the most likely need for him will be as a penalty killer. So a question I would have is how capable he is to fill that role? Anyone who regularly watched Hartford last year maybe could tell us more about Jensen as---or not as a penalty killer. So.........

To make the Rangers as a 4th liner Jensen will need to not only find a role. He needs to fit a need.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The similarity between Hagelin and Fast is that they're both players that can be plugged in anywhere in the lineup and they'll do a competent job. Fast is smart, works hard and has some offensive skill. He's not an "ideal" second line player in terms of pure offensive, but playing alongside two guys that are good offensively he'll not look out of place and will contribute. He's a perfect complimentary player. I said the same thing about Hagelin forever and people responded with asinine "observations" that he was a stupid player who lacked hockey sense. Well, I think we really miss that stupid player and the nonsensical things he did. Fast isn't yet on Hagelin's level, but he soon will be. It would be a mistake to make him a throw-in because we wouldn't get equal value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad