2015-16 Lineup Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Silf didn't score his first goal last season until game 17 (had 0g-6a up to that point). This start is pretty disappointing, but shouldn't be too surprising. This may be more or less all he is going to be. I'm not sure we can afford the luxury of so many expensive, complimentary middle-tier forwards being leaned on to provide the bulk of our secondary offense.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
He'll be fine. A number of players are still trying to find their game.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Last year Silfverberg was playing well defensively to start the season, but sucked offensively. This year he's not great defensively and still sucks offensively.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Last year Silfverberg was playing well defensively to start the season, but sucked offensively. This year he's not great defensively and still sucks offensively.

? hes made good defensive plays to me, and i haven't seen him make mistakes defensively either yet.

Oct 18, 2011
if bieksa keeps being dog ****, murray is going to have to cut his losses with him. will murray swallow his ego and admit his giant mistake? bieksa is not better than stoner/manson/holzer/despres.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
if bieksa keeps being dog ****, murray is going to have to cut his losses with him. will murray swallow his ego and admit his giant mistake? bieksa is not better than stoner/manson/holzer/despres.

Murray's never been one to sit on a bad signing very long (Stoner notwithstanding, I assume he sees Stoner differently than 90% of this fan base), I'm praying that Bieksa goes the way of Wisniewski before that NTC kicks in. Not that KB2 would be all that bad as a 3rd pairing, ~ 17-18 minute guy, but there's no reason we always have to employ an overpaid $3-4 mil "tough guy" on our 3rd pairing. If we do keep Bieksa beyond this season, I'll assume it's Murray's old school fetish for those types driving the bus.

With Manson looking like a legit NHL'er, we don't really need Bieksa.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Murray's never been one to sit on a bad signing very long (Stoner notwithstanding, I assume he sees Stoner differently than 90% of this fan base), I'm praying that Bieksa goes the way of Wisniewski before that NTC kicks in. Not that KB2 would be all that bad as a 3rd pairing, ~ 17-18 minute guy, but there's no reason we always have to employ an overpaid $3-4 mil "tough guy" on our 3rd pairing. If we do keep Bieksa beyond this season, I'll assume it's Murray's old school fetish for those types driving the bus.

Even if you are correct that Bob sees the error of his ways with KB (and I don't think he will), who the **** is going to take on that contract? He has negative value now with that contract, and it's only going to get worse as he continues aging. I think we could give Stoner away for free/7th/weak prospect, but NFW with Bieksa.

Oct 18, 2011

thing is bieksa is not even that big, boudreau has to change his philosophy on D pairings and put the weaker guys into lesser roles instead of trying to shelter them, the way i see it, fowler/lindholm/vatanen are clearly our best 3 dmen and should be playing the most minutes. imo you give bieksa til the TDL to improve, if he doesn't you have to upgrade that spot or cut your losses. seems like every year we are searching for that proven top 4 guy and constantly come up short

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Even if you are correct that Bob sees the error of his ways with KB (and I don't think he will), who the **** is going to take on that contract? He has negative value now with that contract, and it's only going to get worse as he continues aging. I think we could give Stoner away for free/7th/weak prospect, but NFW with Bieksa.

Depressing, but true. Murray can either ride it out and hope Bieksa figures it out, or swap him for someone else's headache and hope that new headache somehow works out better for us.

There is no easy out, but I have little doubt Murray would find a way to move him if he continues to suck.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
When everyone is healthy this is what I want to see:

Fowler - Despres
Lindholm - Vatanen
Stoner - Manson/Bieksa (limited minutes)

In the meantime:
Lindholm - Vatanen
Fowler - Manson
Stoner - Bieksa

Both have 3 RHD and 3 LHD. I don't think we have enough talent to spread over3 pairing with Beauchemin gone so I would like to see the first two loaded up. Lindholm and Vatanen have never really played together before but I would like to see it given a shot.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Hagelin has gotten better and better he's in a new conference on a new team and had no preseason games for whatever reason you guys need to chill, he has a much harder shot than I was anticipating too.

He had no preseason games because he was hurt. It was in an article with quotes from Bruce or Murray (can't remember which one) at the beginning of the year.

Not sure why you're telling people to "chill" either. No one said we have to make a move now. I said that this team can't afford to pay 3 wingers 11 million combined that don't bring anything offensively. I strongly believe that's accurate. Especially for a budget team. However, there's still time for Hagelin to try and get something going.

It's easy to tell people to chill when the team has won 4 in a row. However, we aren't going to do much this season averaging 1.5 goals a game.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

He's definitely picked it up defensively the last few games. He has been beyond terrible offensively though. Never mind the no scoring. It's the complete lack of vision and how the offense dies on his stick that's bothering me.

Oct 18, 2011
going to be very interesting when despres returns..if the coaching staff has any objectivity, manson should be playing over bieksa.

i mean you can argue bieksa will be the 9th best dman on the team, i just cannot believe this guy got a NTC before ever playing for this team, but murray wouldn't give beleskey one

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
going to be very interesting when despres returns..if the coaching staff has any objectivity, manson should be playing over bieksa.

i mean you can argue bieksa will be the 9th best dman on the team, i just cannot believe this guy got a NTC before ever playing for this team, but murray wouldn't give beleskey one

He has that Bieksa wouldn't agree to a trade with out an extension in progress. I'm sure Bob had to assure him he'd get that before Bieksa would waive to come here in the first place.

Not that I'm excusing it. I probably hated that trade more than anyone here when it was made. You guys are just all coming around to my side now. :naughty:

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
When everyone is healthy this is what I want to see:

Fowler - Despres
Lindholm - Vatanen
Stoner - Manson/Bieksa (limited minutes)

In the meantime:
Lindholm - Vatanen
Fowler - Manson
Stoner - Bieksa

Both have 3 RHD and 3 LHD. I don't think we have enough talent to spread over3 pairing with Beauchemin gone so I would like to see the first two loaded up. Lindholm and Vatanen have never really played together before but I would like to see it given a shot.

Jesus, in what situation can we play this pairing? :help:

mighty Stanley Duck

Feb 1, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Bieksa has upper hand, mostly due to fact he is carrying more money and he was brought as D ''upgrade''...leaving Bieksa out of the lineup means BM ****ed up.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Bieksa has upper hand, mostly due to fact he is carrying more money and he was brought as D ''upgrade''...leaving Bieksa out of the lineup means BM ****ed up.

Leaving Bieksa out of the lineup and pulling a Bickell on him also eradicates every last bit of trade value he might've had. It's a double-edged sword, really, as trading Bieksa is the only hope of us getting rid of him. Because his new contract is a 35+ contract, we can't even buy him out next offseason, as there's no cap relief.

Bob REALLY ****ed up with this one.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
How would we even know that if they aren't together for a sustained period of time?

This seems a little strange coming from you. Weren't you the one who was adamant that Getzlaf needed to play less? And yet now you want to risk burning our top two defensemen out by playing them very high end minutes?

Make up your mind, because the risk of playing Fowler and Lindholm together, for the lion's share of the minutes, is exactly what you're complaining about in regards to how Getzlaf and Kesler are used. Only worse, because they've never done it before. What do you think happens if you give them 25+ minutes a game and they end up running out of gas by the time the end of the season rolls around?

I want Boudreau to make better decisions regarding the way our D pairings are used, but loading up a single D pairing and giving them a crap load of minutes is pretty close to an all or nothing strategy. By the time you find out they aren't ready, you're probably late into the season and they're worn down. That's what an 82 game season does to players. It isn't an immediate result. That's one of the reasons a guy like Keith was able to play 30 minutes a game in the playoffs. He wasn't doing it during the regular season. He still played a lot of minutes, but not that amount on a consistent basis.

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
Jesus, in what situation can we play this pairing? :help:

Didn't the 2007 Ducks have Huskins-Dipenta/Jackman as the third pairing? If you only play them 12-16 minutes, you'll be fine.

I'd be more worried about whether Vatanen could handle the extra time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad