2015-16 Line-up discussion - focus on D edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Actually, he has a NMC starting next season. Theoretically that's even worse than full NTC but bears no significance to Ducks because there's zero chance of Ducks burrying him, or anyone else with salary that high, in the minors.

Probably with a retention though. Landscape of NHL has changed since he signed.

We actually have three options with Stoner:

1. Somehow trade Stoner without retaining anything on him. If somebody is willing to take him for a draft pick or something, you make the trade no matter what. That's the dream scenario for us, don't know how likely that is though. The more likely option for us IMO is that he goes as a cap dump in a bigger deal.

2. Shop Stoner around with up to $1 million retained on him. This is also an option, as this is still cheaper for us than a regular buyout. Stoner at $2.25 million AAV would probably gather some interest in the league, while also giving us a significant amount of money saved.

3. Buy him out. This is a certain way of getting rid of that contract, but it costs us just under $1.1 million per year for four years to do so. It does give us about $2.2 million in immediate savings though.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Gunnarsson, who is a solid second pairing D-man, signed for 3 years witha cap hit of 2,9 mill.

That's the kind of solid cost controlled guys you want as your #4.

Can Anaheim afford to pay Fowler, Lindholm, Despres and Vatanen around 20 mill after this season?

With Bieksa's behemoth of a contract, that's 24 mill on 5 guys.

Then add the twins and Kes and you pay 8 guys 50 mill.

That leaves new contract for Rakell + Gibson's. Let's lowball and assume their cap is a combined 6 mill and you have 56 million on 10 guys.

Now we have to resign Perron and he'll demand at least 5 = 61.

Silfverberg, 4 mill= 65.
Cogliano, 3 = 68.
With Stoner's contract we're now at around 71-72.

Thompson, Garbutt, Ritchie = 75 ish. Fistric and Maroon's cap = 76ish.

Santo, Stewart, Pirri, Khudobin, Horcoff, McGinn, Holzer are all unsigned in this scenario.

And the game-breaker. Andersen is also unsigned. Signing him would at the very least cost 3.5 mill in cap, which takes us to almost 80 mill.

So.

We will either lose several players for nothing, or trade at least a couple of the usual suspects.

Who stays, who goes?

Trading Vatanen alone doesn't give us enough cap to be able to resign the other players and stay under our budget cap limit.

Will be a very busy offseason.

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
Gunnarsson, who is a solid second pairing D-man, signed for 3 years witha cap hit of 2,9 mill.

That's the kind of solid cost controlled guys you want as your #4.

Can Anaheim afford to pay Fowler, Lindholm, Despres and Vatanen around 20 mill after this season?

With Bieksa's behemoth of a contract, that's 24 mill on 5 guys.

Then add the twins and Kes and you pay 8 guys 50 mill.

That leaves new contract for Rakell + Gibson's. Let's lowball and assume their cap is a combined 6 mill and you have 56 million on 10 guys.

Now we have to resign Perron and he'll demand at least 5 = 61.

Silfverberg, 4 mill= 65.
Cogliano, 3 = 68.
With Stoner's contract we're now at around 71-72.

Thompson, Garbutt, Ritchie = 75 ish. Fistric and Maroon's cap = 76ish.

Santo, Stewart, Pirri, Khudobin, Horcoff, McGinn, Holzer are all unsigned in this scenario.

And the game-breaker. Andersen is also unsigned. Signing him would at the very least cost 3.5 mill in cap, which takes us to almost 80 mill.

So.

We will either lose several players for nothing, or trade at least a couple of the usual suspects.

Who stays, who goes?

Trading Vatanen alone doesn't give us enough cap to be able to resign the other players and stay under our budget cap limit.

Will be a very busy offseason.

Only Pirri and Holzer have a chance of coming back from that list :laugh:

I agree with you though - Vatanen and Andersen are likely traded. I don't see either player interested in a short term contract and they want to get paid. Sadly it won't be with the Ducks.

I could imagine a scenario where Vatanen gets re-signed at 4-4.5M on a long term deal and Murray deciding to move Fowler. Cam will be expensive to re-sign in two years when his current deal is up, and he probably would generate the best return outside of Lindholm on our blueline.

Tough to see any scenario where Andersen would stay. No room for his salary.

Will be an interesting summer for sure, especially if Lindholm remains unsigned for a while. I understand that the Rielly, Trouba and Lindholm camps might be playing a game of poker to see who signs first, but the waiting game stinks just the same. :rant:

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I don't think theres anyway we can afford Fowler once his deal expires, if we can lock Vatanen up long term and of course Lindholm maybe we should move Fowler, his value would be the best as well.

How much is Fowler going to ask? 6.5 atleast?

Last edited:

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I don't think theres anyway we can afford Fowler once his deal expires, if we can lock Vatanen up long term and of course Lindholm maybe we should move Fowler, his value would be the best as well.

When Fowler's current contract is up, so is Bieksa's and Stoner's, that is if we don't trade one of those two before. But, I think we'll have enough anyways, put 2-3 million from Bieksa's contract towards Fowler's new one and call it a day.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

Sure there's a way. You get rid of one of the other two high dollar defensemen.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Just when we wanted to split up the lines they go out and score 7 goals. The only weak spot I saw was having Santo on the top line, we really need Pirri/Stewart in that spot.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Holzer looked better than Bieksa. There, I said it.

To be fair, he was far more sheltered than Bieksa and only got 16 minutes. He made some bad pinches and some miscues defensively but nothing really came from them. If he was given top pairing minutes beside Fowler I'm sure he'd be exposed more. That being said, for a guy that hadn't played in 2 months he was solid. I like him a lot as a depth guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad