2015-16 Line-up discussion - focus on D edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Let's be real. We have one scoring line (which hasn't done much scoring) and three checking-lines.

Our defence looks much worse than it would, if we actually had gifted skill players who could receive, handle and hold on to the puck.

Aside from Kesler, we have no secondary scoring. The second line is a shutdown unit, Hagelin and Silfverberg (post concussion) are not offensively gifted players - they are hard working 2-way players in the sense that they do create chances, but never score.

3rd and 4th lines are just checking lines, no skill aside from perhaps Sekac - but he lacks the vision and brains to do any damage anyway.

Of course this team will have a hard time scoring, who are we kidding?
¨
Either blow it up and make some trades for the future, or sacrifice some assets to be able to be competitive right now. Not doing anything is just a total waste.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
^ We have good defencemen that can handle the puck in Fowler, Vatanen, Lindholm and now Theodore. If Theo keeps this up it will be difficult justifying sending him down.

The rest I agree with and the issues up front are nothing new. Too many 2 way-wingers with tunnel vision or lack of creativity. I wanna see Maroon, Stewart and Sekac replaced. Hagelin too but that's mostly because of his contract, otherwise he'd be a fine bottom six player. Santorelli at least shows some versatility, I'd keep him for the rest of the season even if it's just as a spare forward.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Ducks have scored one or zero goals in 20 of their 41 games!!!!

WOW!!

Ducks desperately need to add skill to the lineup. Not sure that is possible as presently constituted.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
time to clear out the crap that cant put a puck in the net....figure it out murph.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
Ducks have scored one or zero goals in 20 of their 41 games.

Not just that, but 78 GF projects to 156 over full 82 GP. The all-time worst tally is 150 GF by Sabres in 2014. This really is a epic failure of historical proportions.

I got it when Bob erred on the side of caution 20 games ago, that only a few months ago this team was one win away from SCF etc blah blah. Well that was then but this is now. There are no more excuses.

If Bob won't recognize his mistakes and act decisively to set them right, it is he who's gotta go before season's end. The pro scouts team needs a refresh as well.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
^ We have good defencemen that can handle the puck in Fowler, Vatanen, Lindholm and now Theodore. If Theo keeps this up it will be difficult justifying sending him down.

The rest I agree with and the issues up front are nothing new. Too many 2 way-wingers with tunnel vision or lack of creativity. I wanna see Maroon, Stewart and Sekac replaced. Hagelin too but that's mostly because of his contract, otherwise he'd be a fine bottom six player. Santorelli at least shows some versatility, I'd keep him for the rest of the season even if it's just as a spare forward.
So basically you want to replace the only 2 forwards that sometimes drop the gloves with what exactly?

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Maroon and Stewart do not play physical at all so I am not sure what you're worried about. Maroon is so slow he cant hit anything and doesn't even fight very often at all. Stewart is totally lazy and doesn't hit anything or fight so replacing those two will not be hard.

Its not like those two actually intimidate anyone so I am not sure why you would be concerned with them being gone.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
So basically you want to replace the only 2 forwards that sometimes drop the gloves with what exactly?

Stewart is lazy, hits fewer times and less effectively than Cogliano does, and doesn't fight as an enforcer - he just randomly fights people for no discernible reason. Replace him with a 4th liner who does all of that and it's an upgrade. Wagner was an upgrade as a 4th liner, color me not impressed with Stewart's random undeserved goal every 7 games or so.

Maroon is at least attempting to hit, he's just strangely ineffective this year.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
time to clear out the crap that cant put a puck in the net....figure it out murph.

The only way is to fleece someone, or trade your future draft picks(a bad idea to remain sustainable). If Freddy, Hampus and Sammy all get $5/yr cap hits, we'll have if we're lucky $2 million left with only 9 forwards on the roster. If Bob can trade dollar for dollar for a better forward, that's about the only way. At any rate, it looks like someone has to go next year irregardless. Hopefully we can find a taker for someone we won't miss too badly.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010

Once everyone is healthy and with Bieksa and Stoner on the NHL roster barring a trade, Theodore will have to be sent down. He's looked good so far no doubt, but Manson is more deserving of a spot on the NHL roster at this point having played better for a much longer period.

The only way is to fleece someone, or trade your future draft picks(a bad idea to remain sustainable). If Freddy, Hampus and Sammy all get $5/yr cap hits, we'll have if we're lucky $2 million left with only 9 forwards on the roster. If Bob can trade dollar for dollar for a better forward, that's about the only way. At any rate, it looks like someone has to go next year irregardless. Hopefully we can find a taker for someone we won't miss too badly.
Well I think it's a safe bet Anaheim isn't going to be signing Andersen to a contract extension.

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
Ducks have scored one or zero goals in 20 of their 41 games!!!!

WOW!!

Ducks desperately need to add skill to the lineup. Not sure that is possible as presently constituted.

At least we're third in the Corsi Cup standings after LA and Nashville.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Once everyone is healthy and with Bieksa and Stoner on the NHL roster barring a trade, Theodore will have to be sent down. He's looked good so far no doubt, but Manson is more deserving of a spot on the NHL roster at this point having played better for a much longer period.

Well I think it's a safe bet Anaheim isn't going to be signing Andersen to a contract extension.

Not sure of Manson's waiver status either. He's 24. That won't be an option next year, he'll be the 7th Defensemen, with Shea as a call up.

Ya, we definitely have to shed some salaries(or as you said, not take them on). Barstool is going to have to get over his 3 solid backups fetish, too. That will no longer be a luxury. We're going to have a cheap back-up, and a call up guy next year. Deep prospect pools are critical when you're up against the cap.

If Theo shows he can fill Fowlers spot, then he may be a great peice to try to get Drouin and his entry level contract. People think Yzerman doesn't have leverage, and his hand is forced, but that factor alone negates all that nonsense. Drouin is possibly a lot of bang for the buck for the rest of this year and the next.

I hate to add to the doom and gloom, but my last figures, I accidentally left out Rakell, and that $2M with only 9 forwards was if we spend to the estimated cap of $74M.

Last edited:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

With better players. Doesn't mean I want this team to get softer. There are physical forwards in this league that are quite useful, hopefully we can get a couple of them in the offseason.

Last edited:

PrototypeX85

Jan 18, 2011
With better players. Doesn't mean I want this team to get softer. Hopefully in the offseason smarter signings are made.

With what money? BM isn't willing to spend to the cap, and already has a ton of cash tied up in grinders. And with a few important contracts up this off-season, we're definitely not going to be able to sign an elite goal scorer. Too much money tied up in players like Hagelin and Silfverberg. What team would take on their salaries if we are looking to trade them?

I dunno, I just feel like this team isn't in any position to make any big signings in the near future, and won't until some of these terrible contracts expire.. which won't be a for a while.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

Yeah I think Theodore gets sent down too, until they can find a way to get rid of Stoner who's icetime has shrinked lately.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
With what money? BM isn't willing to spend to the cap, and already has a ton of cash tied up in grinders. And with a few important contracts up this off-season, we're definitely not going to be able to sign an elite goal scorer. Too much money tied up in players like Hagelin and Silfverberg. What team would take on their salaries if we are looking to trade them?

I dunno, I just feel like this team isn't in any position to make any big signings in the near future, and won't until some of these terrible contracts expire.. which won't be a for a while.

There's no denying that the contracts on Hagelin, Kesler, Bieksa and Stoner has us in an awful spot right now. But there are useful role players who don't cost a ton. Look at Nate Thompson at $1.6 mil for example. He's worth a lot more to this team than Stewart at $1.7 mil and Maroon at $2 mil.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
There's no denying that the contracts on Hagelin, Kesler, Bieksa and Stoner has us in an awful spot right now. But there are useful role players who don't cost a ton. Look at Nate Thompson at $1.6 mil for example. He's worth a lot more to this team than Stewart at $1.7 mil and Maroon at $2 mil.

We'll be lucky to re-sign our own guys. He was spot on when he said we're pretty much stuck with what we got. These guys just have to start earning their checks. They all got re-upped, and their laying eggs. Unacceptable. The only option to get better now is give up stuff we don't want to. We may have to.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Stewart is lazy, hits fewer times and less effectively than Cogliano does, and doesn't fight as an enforcer - he just randomly fights people for no discernible reason. Replace him with a 4th liner who does all of that and it's an upgrade. Wagner was an upgrade as a 4th liner, color me not impressed with Stewart's random undeserved goal every 7 games or so.

Maroon is at least attempting to hit, he's just strangely ineffective this year.

I agree with this completely. Despite his occasional goal, I think Stewart is horrible, and he's more of a liability on the ice than not. I would rather see Jackman in his spot. He at least works his ass off every shift.

I also think Maroon gets too much crap around here. Yes, he's not having a good season, but he seems to be at least trying. I wouldn't be so quick to give up on him, as I see the effort. Just god awful foot speed. Plus, if Rakell gets hurt this season, or in the playoffs, Maroon is next best option. Stewart half ***** it all the time, and since he gets a goal every now and then, most people look the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad