2015-16 Line-up discussion - focus on D edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I think it's pretty clear Santo is not playing because Ritchie plays LW, so comparing he and Santo doesn't really mean anything in the Maroon argument. I agree that Santo is a better player right now.

I disagree that Maroon would not be playing over Ritchie. I think Ritchie is in because of lack of options on the left side. There's no one better to replace him in the AHL.

We've had too many budget restrictions for me to just say "oh it's only 500k". I respect your opinion, although completely disagree, but do yourself a favor, when a scenario comes up where we sign or obtain a player for less value than an available better player, don't say "we're a budget team". I could name several posters who cited that as reasons about Bieksa, and now, this 500k is awesome. I don't know if you're one of them (and not trying to insinuate you are), and I won't name the others, because I respect our mods too much to start that **** show, but just keep that in mind in upcoming off-seasons.

I agree about Pirri. He needs more time, and IMO, we'll need him to step up more than most if Perron is out long term.

Fair enough on all points.

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
Man, people so sour on Maroon still. Dude was only good in front of the net and against the boards. That's it. Otherwise, he was worthless. Mcginn easily replaces him and has quite well actually. People need to get over the fact that he's gone.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Man, people so sour on Maroon still. Dude was only good in front of the net and against the boards. That's it. Otherwise, he was worthless. Mcginn easily replaces him and has quite well actually. People need to get over the fact that he's gone.

Don't even bother.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

yep. never mind the fact that Ritchie continues to struggle. No one said McGinn isn't better.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014

McGinn wasn't traded for Maroon, I don't see why this is always presented as an either/or thing. The argument isn't for Maroon taking McGinn's minutes, it's for him taking minutes away from Ritchie or similar depth scrubs.

Every other depth option on LW has similar holes in their games. I won't derail the thread further as Duck_Off has covered this end of the debate better than I could have, but we don't know yet if this (albeit, minor) trade will have an impact on the strength of this team's depth and ability to weather injuries. There's no sense in saying "get over it" until things play out and it can be said for certain that it was a good or bad trade to make.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
Man I wish Hampus would sign a Roman Josi like contract in terms of value. Do you think the expansion draft rules delay the signings, I mean as long as it's not clear how no movement clauses are handled.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
You can't give NMCs for any RFA years of a players contract. Lindholm could only be given a NMC for the years he would have been unrestricted.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Man I wish Hampus would sign a Roman Josi like contract in terms of value. Do you think the expansion draft rules delay the signings, I mean as long as it's not clear how no movement clauses are handled.

That's very, very unlikely

Josi signed that sweetheart deal out of gratefulness, as the Predators organization showed patience with him, despite him having an extended history of concussions. And obviously since he wanted some commitment when it comes to term because of those issues.

What a home run this deal has turned out to be.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
If we lose a player like Manson because of Bieksa's ****ing NMC and Murray doesn't buy him out I am going to lose my ****ing ****. What a ****ing horrible idea to give him that and what horrible management/scouting he is so bad.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
We're not losing Manson lol. He's a fan favorite signed to a cheap deal. They'll trade Despres before they let go of Manson at this point

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
If we lose a player like Manson because of Bieksa's ****ing NMC and Murray doesn't buy him out I am going to lose my ****ing ****. What a ****ing horrible idea to give him that and what horrible management/scouting he is so bad.
Murray is not buying out anyone, and it's not up to him. He probably would consider it, but team is on the budget.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Stoner is the guy that needs to be moved, it is literally impossible to get rid of Bieksa. As LF said, Murray is not buying him out. He has an NMC and no one is taking that contract anyways. Besides, he'd be OK on the 3rd pairing the next 2 years as the lone old guy on defense.

Stoner is a guy that cannot even stay in the lineup over Holzer on a regular basis and is making 3.25 million. You can't have that kind of dead weight. Murray needs to get creative and find a way to save a little money there even if he has to retain a million a season to make it happen. I mean if he was willing to retain money on Maroon, surely that shouldn't be an issue with a guy who sits in the pressbox most of the time, right?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
BB has to go with Andersen from here on out. I'm not a huge Andersen fan but Gibson hasn't been particularly good for a while now.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
We're not losing Manson lol. He's a fan favorite signed to a cheap deal. They'll trade Despres before they let go of Manson at this point

We could possibly lose Manson to a expansion draft depending on how protection of players are. If we can only protect 3 defenseman and have to protect Bieksa because of a NMC we are probably going to lose Manson because we sure as hell are going to protect Fowler and Lindholm.

Murray is not buying out anyone, and it's not up to him. He probably would consider it, but team is on the budget.

If NHL has a expansion and we are forced to protect Bieska because of a NMC and lose a good player because of that I would be pissed. Better to buy him out then possibly lose a good player. Now you are probably right odds of us doing so aren't that good damn BM for trading for Bieksa and giving him that crappy contract :cry::rant:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
We could possibly lose Manson to a expansion draft depending on how protection of players are. If we can only protect 3 defenseman and have to protect Bieksa because of a NMC we are probably going to lose Manson because we sure as hell are going to protect Fowler and Lindholm.

If NHL has a expansion and we are forced to protect Bieska because of a NMC and lose a good player because of that I would be pissed. Better to buy him out then possibly lose a good player. Now you are probably right odds of us doing so aren't that good damn BM for trading for Bieksa and giving him that crappy contract :cry::rant:

It won't even take that, based on what is meant by "entering the third year" of being on a professional contract. That seems to be everyone entering the last year of their ELC, which may include Ritchie, Theodore, and Montour.

Getzlaf
Perry
Kesler
Silfverberg
Rakell
Ritchie

Lindholm
Fowler/Vatanen
Theodore

All get protected ahead of Manson without even needing to discuss it IMO. Maybe Montour as well.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Despres hasn't looked like himself either; he was rattled after being hit yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if he sat out a couple games.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I don't think we have a chance against the Sharks or Kings if we don't get Perron and possibly Stewart at 100%. Our skill on the wings without those two has got to be the worst among playoff teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad