2015-16 AHL Ontario Reign - going back to Cali, Cali, Cali...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Reign coverage:

from MayorsManor:

from ReignInsider

On if the Reign will have a morning skate on Sunday:

<snip>
You’re going to play three games in four nights, the last thing we need to do is leave it out on the morning skate. You talk to your core group of guys, ask how they’re feeling. But they don’t need ice tomorrow. They need ice tomorrow like a turtle needs air brakes. <snip>

Player quotes also up at reigninsider.com

from JewelsfromtheCrown

Then, as Jason Lewis posted in the previous page:

Enjoy and get prepped for tonight's Game 3.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
1-0 Gulls after one, and it could have been more, but the shot within the first minute only hit the inside of the post, fooling the goal judge. Another apparent goal off Zolnyiercyk's backside was waved off as touched with a high stick (though my homer eyes right along the goal line didn't see it that way).

The one goal came from rookie Kosilla, who had the entire net to work with after some nice possession work on the boards by Laganiere, who then fed it across the crease to the wide open youngster - no real chance for Budaj on it.

Gulls are dressing 7 d-men. Shots are 10-10 at the break, but it felt like the Gulls had more o-zone possession time overall.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
I'm having issues with the Ontario Reign radio broadcast.

Hope the Reign pull it together next period. The Gulls are fighting hard not to go down 3-0 and sound like they have the edge.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Still 1-0 after two - but there were some near things, including a Reign shot off the crossbar that got reviewed four minutes later. Shots in the period were 13-10 Reign.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Reign having a real struggle with Hackett. Funny that SD had concerns that their goalie wouldn't be ready...

Really hope those struggles with the Gulls from the season aren't coming back into the series.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Kempe total lost coverage on the goal.

That and Ebert couldn't be physical enough following his guy around the corner until the guy cut into the middle off the half wall. His wasn't happy with himself.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
The Gulls we're definitely the better team tonight. Much more commotion all night long in front of Budaj.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
One correction -- the number of minutes the teams have played each other in the past four days is actually 191+. Remember, Game Two went 11+ minutes into OT before Auger's goal on Saturday.

You are correct sir! Thanks :handclap:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Dowd and Mersch have the most playoff points for the Reign so far. I'm glad they responded well to their call-ups and are bringing it when it counts.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Dowd and Mersch have the most playoff points for the Reign so far. I'm glad they responded well to their call-ups and are bringing it when it counts.

Definitely the two forwards that stood out the most last night, although Dowd had a few instances of forgetting the puck while skating with it.

Tough first experience for me. Trip to Ontario for a 7PM Sunday game only to see no goals scored by the Reign and not even one odd-man rush from either team that I can remember.

Was worried that might be the case due to the scheduling but this was the game on Mother's Day and Mom wanted to go so there we were.

Kempe was awful, to be kind. Amadio was invisible on the 4th line mostly but--outside of the cross-bar shot in the 2nd period--he had the closest chance of the night on a shot along the ice that just missed tucking inside the post. Once the lines were adjusted with Kempe/Amadio together, they both got a little jump. You can tell Amadio has good vision. He set up Kempe for a fantastic opportunity right in the slot but Kempe blasted the one-timer high over the net.

Story of the night for the Reign: missed shots. Seems all their best chances wound up being shots that missed the net completely. Hackett did not have to stand on his head, that's for sure.

Forgot to say that MacDermid may not ever make the NHL, but it is fun to watch him hit people. Highlight of the night for me was when he buried a guy in the corner right in front of us and the player stayed down for a good amount of time. Kid is mean for sure.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Definitely the two forwards that stood out the most last night, although Dowd had a few instances of forgetting the puck while skating with it.

Tough first experience for me. Trip to Ontario for a 7PM Sunday game only to see no goals scored by the Reign and not even one odd-man rush from either team that I can remember.

Was worried that might be the case due to the scheduling but this was the game on Mother's Day and Mom wanted to go so there we were.

Kempe was awful, to be kind. Amadio was invisible on the 4th line mostly but--outside of the cross-bar shot in the 2nd period--he had the closest chance of the night on a shot along the ice that just missed tucking inside the post. Once the lines were adjusted with Kempe/Amadio together, they both got a little jump. You can tell Amadio has good vision. He set up Kempe for a fantastic opportunity right in the slot but Kempe blasted the one-timer high over the net.

Story of the night for the Reign: missed shots. Seems all their best chances wound up being shots that missed the net completely. Hackett did not have to stand on his head, that's for sure.

Forgot to say that MacDermid may not ever make the NHL, but it is fun to watch him hit people. Highlight of the night for me was when he buried a guy in the corner right in front of us and the player stayed down for a good amount of time. Kid is mean for sure.

Sometimes, it's all about timing and you picked a stinker of a first game. Both teams were running on fumes a bit, but the Gulls needed this game or they were done and they knew it. You're right about the Kempe-Amadio-Backman line, they really provided a spark. I can just tell you the Reign's performance in Game 3 was a fraction of what it was in Game 1. Hackett was never really tested at all, and the shots that could of or would have beat him hit the crossbar or were shot high and/or wide. Just a night of poor execution, especially in the passing game (both passing and receiving). Reign also really missing one of their best snipers in Brodzinski so far this series, who is out injured.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Yeah, I've been questioning Kempe's performance a few times because I really want to see him push beyond and be the leader on and off-ice we need him to be. Only the 2nd first-round pick we have from 2011-2016. We need his high-end talent to be matched by leadership on and off the ice.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah, I've been questioning Kempe's performance a few times because I really want to see him push beyond and be the leader on and off-ice we need him to be. Only the 2nd first-round pick we have from 2011-2016. We need his high-end talent to be matched by leadership on and off the ice.

I agree, I think Kempe gets a lot of well-deserved wrath though, because people see the glimpses of superstardom.

Let's not forget, though, he's not even 20 yet and wouldn't be until after the start of next season.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Sometimes, it's all about timing and you picked a stinker of a first game. Both teams were running on fumes a bit, but the Gulls needed this game or they were done and they knew it. You're right about the Kempe-Amadio-Backman line, they really provided a spark. I can just tell you the Reign's performance in Game 3 was a fraction of what it was in Game 1. Hackett was never really tested at all, and the shots that could of or would have beat him hit the crossbar or were shot high and/or wide. Just a night of poor execution, especially in the passing game (both passing and receiving). Reign also really missing one of their best snipers in Brodzinski so far this series, who is out injured.

I watched most of last year's Calder Cup run so I know this team can play much better, even if there are a lot of different faces. Knew that San Diego wasn't exactly lighting the ice on fire either. The hatred was there but not enough energy from both teams.

Just is what it is. Not the kind of first game that has you running to the Team Store to spend some money.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
I agree, I think Kempe gets a lot of well-deserved wrath though, because people see the glimpses of superstardom.

Let's not forget, though, he's not even 20 yet and wouldn't be until after the start of next season.

Stothers has said the same many a time. You watch what he does in practice and there is NO QUESTION he has some elite level talent in him. It's just a matter of getting it out and more consistently.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Reign having a real struggle with Hackett. Funny that SD had concerns that their goalie wouldn't be ready...

These last two games have been Hackett's best of the season, probably of his career. I still don't like the chances should he have to start all of the remaining games, especially after four days to cool off. However, those four days might be enough to bring back Khudobin for Game Four, and also maybe enough for the boot to come off Mike Sgarbossa's foot.

It took a game where the Reign were "off" in most aspects (as Jason's piece accurately described) for the Gulls to win without Doby/Sgarbossa -- I have my doubts that they can win three of four remaining without them, as I doubt the Reign will come out that way again.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Game Five tickets acquired -- the Reign have worked with the Gulls for a promo code for visiting fans that's pretty awesome -- $44 for two seats in the corner on the end the visiting team attacks twice, three rows from the glass. I've noted that the attendance Sunday night at the CBBA was much less than at the regular-season game I went up for this year, and CERTAINLY less than the Gulls pulled for their first three home playoff games -- it was almost like Game Seven against the Ducks at the Honda Center a couple years back, except this time the Gulls fans were close to out-shouting the Reign fans at points. It's also interesting seeing all the gear that seems to indicate that there is a segment of the crowd that supports one or the other of the NHL teams primarily, and are there kind of as AHL tourists -- as an AHL fan myself, I hope some of them become AHL converts to help the financial health of this California experiment! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille