2015-16 AHL Ontario Reign - going back to Cali, Cali, Cali...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Good recap, Jason. Sheng's recap at jewelsfromthecrown.com. Still laughing at Crescenzi's checking the goalie into the boards. You can see it on the video highlights.

Jason makes an appearance at the podcast linked below. Not a serious or particularly informative one, but the guys are having a good time hanging out and talking about the Reign. Jason was able to get a few words in. :D

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
And getting Brodzinski and Sutter back in the line up would make us even better. I think the next round opponent may have more offensive talent. We'll see.

Yeah in my limited viewings of those two teams and a cursory glance at their per-game stats, they're definitely more potent offenses but give up much more on D too. But as mentioned above, it's hard to tell when they don't play across divisions...

The Reign would be paper favorites on stats/performance alone imo but the other two teams definitely have the far sexier prospect names. Then again, so did San Diego.

Hutch

Jun 27, 2015
SoCal
Because of AHL Live (woo!) I get to watch many Reign games, and they are consistently more NHL-like in their approach to systems play than their opponents. The Gulls were fun to watch, with higher end prospects than the Reign, but the Reign looked far better to the eye, despite such close scores throughout the season and playoff series.

I saw the Griffins play in game 1 of the season vs the Gulls in their sweaty, foggy home opener at the Sports Arena, tons of fun. An entire season has passed, but they looked weak that night. The Gulls were a pretty solid AHL team this season with NHL prospects throughout the line-up, and a former NHL head coach with a winning background as an AHL boss, and while those kinds of things don't win you any games, they don't lose them for you either. The Reign, visually, as well as statistically, removing PP % and goals, were dominant over the Gulls. The Reign, just like last year's Monarchs (thank you AHL Live), play playoff hockey, and grind out wins with forechecking and solid defense and goaltending. If Brodzinski and Sutter can come back, and even Raine and/or Ebert, they just get even better.

Without being an idiot about it, I think the Reign's biggest test will be in the Finals vs Toronto (who are battling Albany right now I think). Marlies v Reign would be a great series, and the premier match-up in the AHL.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Without being an idiot about it, I think the Reign's biggest test will be in the Finals vs Toronto (who are battling Albany right now I think). Marlies v Reign would be a great series, and the premier match-up in the AHL.

We don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but I would agree, that would be a premier match up. Full out offense vs Great defense. The Marlies thought they were penciled in though. Someone forgot to tell Albany that. Game 7 in a couple hours.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Because of AHL Live (woo!) I get to watch many Reign games, and they are consistently more NHL-like in their approach to systems play than their opponents. The Gulls were fun to watch, with higher end prospects than the Reign, but the Reign looked far better to the eye, despite such close scores throughout the season and playoff series.

I saw the Griffins play in game 1 of the season vs the Gulls in their sweaty, foggy home opener at the Sports Arena, tons of fun. An entire season has passed, but they looked weak that night. The Gulls were a pretty solid AHL team this season with NHL prospects throughout the line-up, and a former NHL head coach with a winning background as an AHL boss, and while those kinds of things don't win you any games, they don't lose them for you either. The Reign, visually, as well as statistically, removing PP % and goals, were dominant over the Gulls. The Reign, just like last year's Monarchs (thank you AHL Live), play playoff hockey, and grind out wins with forechecking and solid defense and goaltending. If Brodzinski and Sutter can come back, and even Raine and/or Ebert, they just get even better.

We don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but I would agree, that would be a premier match up. Full out offense vs Great defense. The Marlies thought they were penciled in though. Someone forgot to tell Albany that. Game 7 in a couple hours.

I'm going to keep an eye on updates on the Marlies-Devils game. The Marlies were best in the league this year and it's too bad I don't get AHL Live. I appreciated the free AHL in the final round of last season's playoffs. But yeah, after seeing the favored Kings play one playoff round on the last two seasons, a lot of Kings/Reign fans aren't going to take a single game for granted. I'm fully emotionally prepared to see the Reign lose in 4, but hopeful we'll see them match last year's 15-4 run.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Marlies win.

Also, bring on Lake Erie!

Keep an eye on Werenski and all should be well. Will be a tough series.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Rolling with a series preview before the weekend gets going. Check it. Should be a really fun series

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=77112

Good stuff, Jason. Interesting how Lake Erie was a lot like Ontario during the regular season, but like you said, exploded during the playoffs with an insane power play and a goals for of 2.78 -> 3.67. They are going to present a real challenge for the Reign. Werenski should be a treat to watch.

There is a lot of great coverage on both teams, particularly from you, Sheng and Lindsay. All the Kings Men has a podcast on the series, as well as Jewels from the Crown. The Royal Half had a gif contest and this bit of news to make Reign fans jealous:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Gonna actually close this thread and open a new one right now so it doesn't spill over during the game tonight. Also going to copy over some of the goodness from the last page or so (previews, etc). Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad