2015-16 AHL Ontario Reign - going back to Cali, Cali, Cali...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Once Bickel was taken out with the leg injury, that pretty much sealed the Gulls' fate -- the game plan succeeded. Five d-men going into OT is not a good position to be in, though it wasn't helped at all by the fact that the Gulls' offense managed a grand total of ZERO shots on goal in the 6:29 of OT.

I'll be there tonight -- congrats on the series win, guys. Now go win the Cup again.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Once Bickel was taken out with the leg injury, that pretty much sealed the Gulls' fate -- the game plan succeeded. Five d-men going into OT is not a good position to be in, though it wasn't helped at all by the fact that the Gulls' offense managed a grand total of ZERO shots on goal in the 6:29 of OT.

I'll be there tonight -- congrats on the series win, guys. Now go win the Cup again.

The Reign has some BIG guys that play hard, but they have to be careful that they don't cross the line or cause injury. No one wants to see anyone injured.

I once had an opponent in another sport who would target my head at every opportunity. I still hate that...

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
The Reign has some BIG guys that play hard, but they have to be careful that they don't cross the line or cause injury. No one wants to see anyone injured.

I once had an opponent in another sport who would target my head at every opportunity. I still hate that...

The Bickell injury looked like a pretty innocent play. I saw a brief replay, looked like he was skating along the boards on the right side with the puck, and Auger came into check him but really just bumped him a little and kept going north-south, so not really sure how it happened. It was not a hard check from what I saw.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Preliminary congrats, while kind, are not worth a salt until we win game 4. Then I accept. :)

Last edited:

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
The Bickell injury looked like a pretty innocent play. I saw a brief replay, looked like he was skating along the boards on the right side with thye puck, and Auger came into check him but really just bumped him a little and kept going north-south, so not really sure how it happened. It was not a hard check from what I saw.

That's good, I only listened to the radio broadcast, but looking at the Ducks' board, it's clear they feel that some of our guys are out to injure.

Watching the highlights, Backman stood out to me as working hard to create plays. I expect to see him score again soon.

Kempe's skating on his first goal was sure pretty. Nice to see him on fire last night. Dowd with a strong night. PK units were kept pretty busy last night.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That's good, I only listened to the radio broadcast, but looking at the Ducks' board, it's clear they feel that some of our guys are out to injure.

Watching the highlights, Backman stood out to me as working hard to create plays. I expect to see him score again soon.

Kempe's skating on his first goal was sure pretty. Nice to see him on fire last night. Dowd with a strong night. PK units were kept pretty busy last night.

From what I've seen this year, both teams are pretty murderous in that regard. The Reign just have the most reputed murderer in MacDermid .

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
From what I've seen this year, both teams are pretty murderous in that regard. The Reign just have the most reputed murderer in MacDermid .

Newbury was in full cheap shot assassin mode last night at least. MacDermid was relatively tame, but frankly Newbury was a punk all night, before and after the high-sticking double.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
The Bickell injury looked like a pretty innocent play. I saw a brief replay, looked like he was skating along the boards on the right side with the puck, and Auger came into check him but really just bumped him a little and kept going north-south, so not really sure how it happened. It was not a hard check from what I saw.

Thank you - I didn't see the play myself, only the aftermath. I couldn't have told you whether anyone even hit him, much less whom. I appreciate the take.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
2-1 Reign after two, with a 20-10 dominance in SOG. Auger (HODOR!) scored the 2nd Reign goal on a rifle shot on a 2-on-1 break, breaking a very young tie on his birthday.

Handshakes are looming...

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Was that an offensive zone penalty with less then 2 mins to go?

Sounds like some Kings hockey.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Reign win 2-1. Backman took a really stupid penalty with 1:16 left in the game, so with Hackett pulled, the Gulls had a 6 on 4 advantage. The Gulls really only had one decent opportunity, and the Reign PK, the strength of the team, really shut them down.

The Reign really need to improve their Power Play as they move on. It has been extremely weak all season. I will never understand Sothers thinking of putting Schultz on one of the PP units, especially when he has Leslie sitting on the bench who has a really good shot and can command the PP from the left side.

If they Reign can get Brodzinski and Sutter back, they have a good shot of making the finals. I do not know anything about the Detroit and Columbus AHL teams, so will have to wait and see how we match up. It's really weird to play for the Western Conference championship when you have never played the teams involved all season.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
It's interesting watching them play because they remind me so much of the 2012 Kings in certain ways. The Reign break out of the zone so well using the same strategies the Kings used to execute pretty flawlessly. Also, they get their sticks on and deflect so many opposition passes. I didn't look at the final shot tally, but at one point late in the game it was still a 2 to 1 ratio in favor of the Reign and that pretty much told the story for the flow of the game.

Every time I've attended a game, Dowd just looks so good and makes such smart decisions with the puck. In that way, he reminds me of Kopi. A lot of times, he just outsmarts the players on the ice and I just have to laugh at how he clowns them. It's crazy. I really have high hopes for him as a reliable bottom 6 center next season.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Reign win 2-1. Backman took a really stupid penalty with 1:16 left in the game, so with Hackett pulled, the Gulls had a 6 on 4 advantage. The Gulls really only had one decent opportunity, and the Reign PK, the strength of the team, really shut them down.

The Reign really need to improve their Power Play as they move on. It has been extremely weak all season. I will never understand Sothers thinking of putting Schultz on one of the PP units, especially when he has Leslie sitting on the bench who has a really good shot and can command the PP from the left side.

If they Reign can get Brodzinski and Sutter back, they have a good shot of making the finals. I do not know anything about the Detroit and Columbus AHL teams, so will have to wait and see how we match up. It's really weird to play for the Western Conference championship when you have never played the teams involved all season.

Both are pretty insane on paper. Think of all the prospects they've been sitting on over the years. And their parent clubs have sent a few guys down to help out, too.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
It was a good time at the game, there were a lot of gulls/duck fans there and they were pretty vocal ,actually the loudest I have heard duck fans being lol. The team plays well together and gravel , kempe ,dowd, mersch and amadio stood out but honestly the only one who seemed a little off was forbert who made a couple of questionable plays . I left out auger who played well both ways and his goal was a beauty ,the dman covered the pass well on the 2/1 and everyone knew he had to shoot and he still beat Hackett , like the other guy posted the team blocked a lot of shots and deflected pass after pass, I don't know how many of these guys make the team next year but it does not look as our prospect pool is as bleak as some make it out to be

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
I don't know how many of these guys make the team next year but it does not look as our prospect pool is as bleak as some make it out to be

It's not bleak - but there are really no top tier top 6 forwards or top 4 defensemen in the pool. A chance that Ladue, Gravel or Cernak can be a 3/4. Entirely possible...especially when one considers that McNabb plays with Doughty. (does not make him a legit top 4)

Dowd should be a great fixture in the bottom 6. Kempe has the skill and tools to be a top 6 and should be. Just hard to know how good / productive he will be.

So I think when people out there say the Kings prospect pool is weak, it's because there are no sure fire or top 50 HF rated prospects. But
players like Martin Jones were not expected to become impact NHL
players. It's also possible a Brodzinski, Amadio or Ladue can become
impact NHL players. Too early to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->