Prospect Info: 2014 World Junior Championship discussion | Pouliot (1G, 3A) | Sundqvist (2G, 1GWG)

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Taunt this, Russians. :laugh:

Sundqvist gets the game-winner, is out in the final seconds to defend the lead and wins the last bully of the game to run out the clock. :handclap:

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
Taunt this, Russians. :laugh:

Sundqvist gets the game-winner, is out in the final seconds to defend the lead and wins the last bully of the game to run out the clock. :handclap:

The way Sundqvist killed the clock there on that last faceoff was impressive. He did not try to get the puck all the way down ice. He kept chopping it to the wall. That was really smart. Some skill and smarts. Looks like a nice player there.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I don't think it is any worse than Staal's skating was at 19.

But ya, it could be what holds him back.

A lot to love about him though. Size, grit, defensive acumen and skill.

Could be a really good third pivot one day if his skating improves.

I was actually thinking that as well. I think with some work his stride could become much more efficient & it would really help him break into the NHL.

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
Monster back check & then stick handled his way out of a bad situation in the neutral zone.

I've seen Sundqvist at our prospect camps & he was very unnoticeable but he's been great this year at the WJC.

He had his appendix removed, I dont recall if it was two or three years ago. He said in an interview that he lost 7-8 kilos after that and thought he lost almost a whole season due to this. But he's back on track now.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I was actually thinking that as well. I think with some work his stride could become much more efficient & it would really help him break into the NHL.

He doesn't have to be a great skater to be a third pivot, so I'm not overly concerned, whereas if he was projected to be a top six pivot, I'd be more worried.

We'll see how things go, but that Michalek trade isn't looking half bad now. Landed one of my favorite prospects in Ruopp and Sundqvist has a legit shot to be a good shutdown third line pivot.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Thats good to hear romelson.
Kid was arguably Sweden's top 2-3 players today. Played a heck of a game.

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
The way Sundqvist played today, I would consider him a Top 9 forward actually borderline top 6. He could be a third wheel on a line with Malkin. Of course, this could be just an aberration. I have not seen the whole WJC, but if this is what he is capable of consistently, it was a very good pick.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
I hope Sundqvist isn't injured. Looks like he got boarded and crosschecked pretty good along the boards as the clock expired.

SwedenCanada

Sep 22, 2011
Sweden
I hope Sundqvist isn't injured. Looks like he got boarded and crosschecked pretty good along the boards as the clock expired.

An interview with him came up 3 mins ago in Sweden.
He gave Collberg cred, he saw that move on a video a couple of days ago. He had tried it before but failed.

About the last minute:
He tried to keep the puck and got many hits on places where he doesn't have protection but he said it's no worries about tomorrows game. He understands that they've just lost and are mad but it doesn't justify what they did. He's also glad that the other guys stood up for him. Most of the hits came on his upper body.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Only watched the second period, but Pouliot is getting beat off the rush pretty often. If you see a clip of Fucale's ridiculous save before Finland eventually scored, Pouliot getting beat at the top of the faceoff circle and then chasing his man into the middle of the circles pretty much set that scoring chance up.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
So far Pouliot's worst game of the tournament. Canada looks blindsided by the Finns, probably underestimated them.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Not sure who Tero Lehterä is but he doesn't seem to like DP:

Finnish hockey expert Tero Lehterä is talking about Pouliot. To sum it up: he says he's terrible.

Pouliot getting tons of critique from Lehterä in the studio, and with those video to back it up... can disagree. That on ice act is cancer for that team right now, and cost Canada the 2-0 goal.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
Not sure who Tero Lehterä is but he doesn't seem to like DP:

Everyone but Fucale has been terrible for Canada. No one is skating, no one can make a pass and they have zero intensity or sense of urgency.

Credit bad bounces, bad officiating but at the end of the day the Fins came to play and Canada never did.

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
Mr. Shero, if you haven´t noticed yet, Europeans can play hockey too. The picks of Sundqvist and Maata were a good start imo, but you have to look over the pond a bit more.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
So Pouliot wins player of the game for Canada

edit also named one of Canada's three best players in the tournament, at least that makes sense

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Hoe did he get player of the game?

He was pretty bad all game then capped it off by injuring a player on a breakaway to give the Finns their choice of player to end the game.

Michael8771*

That was a bit of a surprise. This wasn't his best game of the tourny, not even close IMO.

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
I didn't think Pouliot played all that poorly, at least compared to the rest of the team.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I think Pouliot generated the only shots in the 3rd period so he got the nod.

The Fins trapped Canada to perfection today. They could very well win this tournament if they get a few lucky bounces against Sweden tomorrow.

Bronze and Gold Game Times

Date | Game | CET | Eastern
Jan. 5 | Canada vs. Russia | 15:00 | 9:00 AM |
Jan. 5 | Finland vs. Sweden | 19:00 | 1:00 PM |

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad