Prospect Info: 2014 World Junior Championship discussion | Pouliot (1G, 3A) | Sundqvist (2G, 1GWG)

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
It's December and the rosters are being announced, starting with Derrick Pouliot being named to the initial Team Canada selection camp list.

Please use this thread to discuss the tournament at large.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
It's December and the rosters are being announced, starting with Derrick Pouliot being named to the initial Team Canada selection camp list.

Please use this thread to discuss the tournament at large.

Any word on if Jarry got an invite?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I was reading that Team Canada only has to cut 2 forwards and 1 D-Man.
Hopefully Pouliot can make the team this year.

ETA:^Thats if no other NHL'er is released by thier club to play in the tourney.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Fucale has to be there by name and pedigree. hes been very average this season.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
What about non-Canadian players? Teddy B? Or is Latvia out this year? Sundqvist?

penguins2946*

Fucale made it because he has thrived in big games in the past. His Memorial Cup numbers are crazy good. Paterson made the team because he was on the roster last year. I'm more confused on why they only brought 2 goalies, but the 2 they brought made sense.

Also, on Pouliot, he's definitely going to be on the team. His play in the 2nd game of the Super Series was fantastic. Sutter trusted him with a lot of PK duties as well. If for no other reason, he'll be on the team as the PPQB.

If I hade to guess, I'd say the D would be Dumba, Reinhart, Pouliot, Morrissey, Severson and Ekblad as the 6 D.

Edit: Reinhart is suspended for the first 3 games, so replace him with Pelech for the start.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I guess pens wont release Maatta for the tournament either, especially not now with Martin and Scuderi injured. So thats another pens prospect who wont be there.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I guess pens wont release Maatta for the tournament either, especially not now with Martin and Scuderi injured. So thats another pens prospect who wont be there.

Yeah, I'm assuming Olli will stay with the Pens.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Poor Maatta. I guess he will have to settle for getting top 4 minutes in the NHL and playing in the Olympics.

penguins2946*

Poor Maatta. I guess he will have to settle for getting top 4 minutes in the NHL and playing in the Olympics.

Exactly this. Who gives a **** about the WJC? Sending Maatta to that when he's playing top-4 minutes in the NHL and probably will be on Team Finland for the Olympics is beyond stupid.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Yeah would be shocked if Maatta doesn't make the Olympics, especially with teams taking 8 D.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I rather have Maatta play in the NHL as well. just trying to figure out wich of our prospects will be at the WJC :)

Seems like sweden will only make 1 cut at forward since only 14 are invited to camp. Sundqvist should have a good chance of making the team.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Guentzel didnt get an invite.

Looking pretty bad this year regarding the chance to watch pens prospects in the wjc.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Pouliot was most recently practicing on a pairing with Ekblad at camp. News today is that the Leafs won't release Morgan Rielly after all. Could potentially lead to more responsibilities for Pouliot.

Malkin112*

Bylsma said about 2 weeks ago that Määttä is not going to WJC according to Finnish media

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Fucale made it because he has thrived in big games in the past. His Memorial Cup numbers are crazy good. Paterson made the team because he was on the roster last year. I'm more confused on why they only brought 2 goalies, but the 2 they brought made sense.

Also, on Pouliot, he's definitely going to be on the team. His play in the 2nd game of the Super Series was fantastic. Sutter trusted him with a lot of PK duties as well. If for no other reason, he'll be on the team as the PPQB.

If I hade to guess, I'd say the D would be Dumba, Reinhart, Pouliot, Morrissey, Severson and Ekblad as the 6 D.

Edit: Reinhart is suspended for the first 3 games, so replace him with Pelech for the start.
True but they should be grooming Jarry for those big games. It would be hard to just jump in next year.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Pouliot was most recently practicing on a pairing with Ekblad at camp. News today is that the Leafs won't release Morgan Rielly after all. Could potentially lead to more responsibilities for Pouliot.

This all but guarantees Pouliot's spot on the team. He'll be a first unit PP guy, and may very well see PK time, as well. He'll definitely play a significant role, unless he really performs badly in the exhibition & early games.

True but they should be grooming Jarry for those big games. It would be hard to just jump in next year.

Nonsense. This isn't the Olympics, or whatever. Most goalies at the WJCs are first time goalies. Having a 3rd string guy not playing or playing half of one exhibition game doesn't give them "grooming" for big games. He'll play enough big games in the playoffs.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Teodors "Teddy Blueger" Blugers has joined Latvia at the Division-I WJC in Poland. Minnesota State has no games till early January so they allowed him to go. Latvia has been cruising through the round robin so far, beating Poland 5-0, Slovenia 10-0 and Austria 3-0. The latter was Blueger's first game, he went scoreless with two roughing penalties. The two toughest opponents, Denmark and Belarus, are still to come.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I don't follow world juniors that much, is Pouliot on the top pairing?

He's definitely one of thier top guys.
Was out there to start PK's and a 5on3 against today.
Also on PP1.
Sutter loves him, you can tell.

Had 1 or 2 assists today. 1 for sure in a 4-2 Canada win over Finland.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
I don't follow world juniors that much, is Pouliot on the top pairing?
As Sid said, yes he's on what you'd probably call the top pairing along with Ekblad. Finished with an assist on an Ekblad goal, was plus-1 and had three shots today in the exhibition win.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Looks like Severson got cut on D. That should mean Pouliot made the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad