Prospect Info: 2014 World Junior Championship discussion | Pouliot (1G, 3A) | Sundqvist (2G, 1GWG)

Michael8771*

Yeah, what the kid did wasn't very mature. Pretty pathetic actually. That said, if you want to prevent a display like that, win the game. To the victors go the spoils.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah, what the kid did wasn't very mature. Pretty pathetic actually. That said, if you want to prevent a display like that, win the game. To the victors go the spoils.

Oh no doubt. That said, that is a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. If you win, just walk away, the win itself speaks volumes.

To paraphrase Chuck Noll, 'When you score act like you have been there before, and that you expect to be there again.'

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Pouliot, Ekblad a terrific tandem

"Pouls controls the game and handles the puck really well," Canadian head coach Brent Sutter said. "Just a great understanding (of the game) and a very intelligent hockey player."

"If you watch him, you can go back and see 20 different plays where he's being nifty around guys and just doing special things," Ekblad added.

"I can't say enough great things about him. I really, really, love the way I play with him."

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports/Pouliot+Ekblad+terrific+tandem/9341512/story.html

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Time for the Pens to tank or trade away Letang for a high pick. Pouliot/Ekblad pairing for the future! :sarcasm:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Yeah. Being selected over Maatta was never the issue, it was being selected over Grigorenko and Forsberg. All 3 are playing very well at the tourney. I feel good that Pouliot's keeping pace with them performance-wise, even if forward skill is rarer in our pool.
Yeah but do the Pens have another PPQB in the entire organization. I hate that the Pens go defense, defense, defense every year at the draft but I have no problem with the DePo pick.

Going back to that draft... I really wanted the Pens to take Henrik Samuelsson but who do they not take? Maatta? The Pens made the right call with both picks.

2009 was butchered but other than that the Pens have drafted pretty well. Even if we don't like the catering to defense, that prospects list is really good.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah but do the Pens have another PPQB in the entire organization. I hate that the Pens go defense, defense, defense every year at the draft but I have no problem with the DePo pick.

Going back to that draft... I really wanted the Pens to take Henrik Samuelsson but who do they not take? Maatta? The Pens made the right call with both picks.

2009 was butchered but other than that the Pens have drafted pretty well. Even if we don't like the catering to defense, that prospects list is really good.

Agreed on both. I'm just saying Grigs/Forsberg being high profile, available forwards was where the vitriol came from, and their success is what Pouliot's going to be compared to.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

Wasn't Morrow supposed to be the future PPQB (5th in AHL Dmen scoring, 48th overall)? Then Shero felt that DP made him expendable so he gave him away for a pile of garbage.

Des fell over 10 spots to 30th so I don't fault Shero for taking him. Morrow over Saad and DP over FF/Truba on the other hand...

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Wasn't Morrow supposed to be the future PPQB (5th in AHL Dmen scoring, 48th overall)? Then Shero felt that DP made him expendable so he gave him away for a pile of garbage.

Des fell over 10 spots to 30th so I don't fault Shero for taking him. Morrow over Saad and DP over FF/Truba on the other hand...

Let's not play the Saad game. Look at it this way. Trouba went 1 pick after DePo and Forsberg, what... 3 picks after? Where as Saad went 43rd overall or something to Morrow's 23rd... so clearly a large majority of the league was completely fine passing on Saad for whatever the reasons were at the time -- you couldn't say the same with the 2012 draft picks you mentioned. There's really no point going down that road.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Is the Trouba mention a little hindsight? I recall many complaining when DP was picked. I don't recall it being for another defenseman.

I wanted FF but I know Jiggy, and others, wanted Truba pretty badly in the draft thread.

I wouldn't be upset had he taken Truba because he was actually the BPA at the time. DP was the B-PPQB-A and Shero went way off the board to draft for need.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I wanted FF but I know Jiggy, and others, wanted Truba pretty badly in the draft thread.

I wouldn't be upset had he taken Truba because he was actually the BPA at the time. DP was the B-PPQB-A and Shero went way off the board to draft for need.

Ah yes... the legendary "board" that they went way off of.... this has been discussed ad naseum countless times before (probably involving you since it's Pouliot-related), so there's no way I'm going to waste my time with that again.

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley

No, he went a little off the "consensus" board to draft a player that he and his scouts had ranked as their BPA.

Also, it's Trouba. I only mention it because you've spelled his name wrong across multiple posts.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Ah yes... the legendary "board" that they went way off of.... this has been discussed ad naseum countless times before (probably involving you since it's Pouliot-related), so there's no way I'm going to waste my time with that again.

*sound of wheel spinning*

Shero's right and everybody else is wrong.

In Shero We Trust!

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
the wheel thing wasn't funny the first time you did it. It hasn't gotten funnier any of the other 100 times.

If people would stop playing out the same old excuses for Shero I wouldn't do it.

I just find it funny that the same people who will blindly say, "Shero though he was BPA so he must be right" are the same ones who will attack anyone who tries to form their own opinion by getting information on these players from multiple sources.

"You read reports from multiple scouts and think player X is better than player Y? what do you know? Shero thought player Y is the best so he has to be right!"

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
but you don't have anything better to base your opinion on, do you? Just other professional opinions that are no more or less valid than Shero's.

Multiple opinions vs just one opinion.

When everyone besides Shero has an opinion on a player I'm more inclined to trust them over just one guy.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Havent we had this debate about the Pouliot pick like a billion times? Nothing has changed since then, its way to early to tell. Sure, Grigs, Forsberg and Trouba are already in the NHL, but that doesnt say anything because usually only bad teams pick in the top 10. We only piced there because of the Staal trade.

We just have to wait until/if Pouliot make the NHL before we can judge the draft. Deal with it!

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
I'm fine with people disagreeing with me as long as they back it up with something better than "because Shero though it was right".

What we're saying is that there is no one clear cut BPA typically. The draft boards of every organization vary because they all have different assessments of these players.

It's fine to say that you believe that other players are/will be better than Pouliot because you've watched them or read up extensively on them. It's another to say that Shero didn't pick the BPA because that's an opinion, especially at the time of the draft. What is a fact is that this organization had him rated as their BPA at the time of the draft.

penguins2946*

Why are people still complaining about the Pouliot pick? We've had 2 complete drafts since then. C'mon, it gets old. Nothing said now will be new. Everything said here will just be a broken record.

Anyway, I like the Pouliot pick. Again, as I've said a thousand times, GRIGORENKO IS A CENTER. Using a top-10 pick on a player just to change his position is beyond stupid. Believe it or not, moving a center to the wing doesn't always work. I thought that notion would stop after Jeffery fell flat on his face, but I guess not. Shero shouldn't use the only top-10 pick we'll have for 10 years on a center just so we can convert him to the wing.

Trouba would have been an even dumber pick. We already have a problem with too many NHL ready D, how would adding another help anything? I know he'll be and is good, but just because he's NHL ready this quickly doesn't mean we should have picked him. Bylsma wouldn't have played him, and one of him or Maatta would be playing in too low of a league. The number of veteran D we have just don't work, Trouba wouldn't have been a smart pick.

Forsberg would have been nice, but I like Pouliot better than him.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
About the whole draft thing. Im fine with our first round picks, although the way Morrow turned out wasnt that great. In my opinion it was all about the later rounds. There is Harrington in 2011, but there is no player on our roster we took in later rounds in the last few years. Bort was taken in the 3rd round with 78 or what, but besides of him there isnt a player on our roster we have taken in later rounds. Players like Saad,ROR,Toffoli all took in the 2nd round in recent drafts. I also didnt like trading away both 2nd round picks, although we made a trade for a 2nd last year. Hopefully guys like Blueger or Sundqvist can make an impact!

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
Why are people still complaining about the Pouliot pick? We've had 2 complete drafts since then. C'mon, it gets old. Nothing said now will be new. Everything said here will just be a broken record.

Anyway, I like the Pouliot pick. Again, as I've said a thousand times, GRIGORENKO IS A CENTER. Using a top-10 pick on a player just to change his position is beyond stupid. Believe it or not, moving a center to the wing doesn't always work. I thought that notion would stop after Jeffery fell flat on his face, but I guess not. Shero shouldn't use the only top-10 pick we'll have for 10 years on a center just so we can convert him to the wing.

Trouba would have been an even dumber pick. We already have a problem with too many NHL ready D, how would adding another help anything? I know he'll be and is good, but just because he's NHL ready this quickly doesn't mean we should have picked him. Bylsma wouldn't have played him, and one of him or Maatta would be playing in too low of a league. The number of veteran D we have just don't work, Trouba wouldn't have been a smart pick.

Forsberg would have been nice, but I like Pouliot better than him.

This I don't agree with. If Shero thought Grigorenko was the BPA he would have taken him regardless of the fact that he's a natural center. Also, I fail to see how having Trouba being NHL ready this season can be used as a knock against him just because it would have added to the logjam at defense. You take the BPA on your board period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad