Prospect Info: 2014 World Junior Championship discussion | Pouliot (1G, 3A) | Sundqvist (2G, 1GWG)

penguins2946*

I'm almost positive that Pouliot will be a full time NHLer on the bottom pair with Scuderi next year. Pens love how he has developed, and he nearly made the team this year. He'll make it, especially if Maatta-Letang stays together (so Scuderi gets pushed down)

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
That's a little optimistic. Pens play a fairly complex defensive "system," if you can even call it that. I'd rather he get some time to learn it and get used to the speed of pro-level forecheckers before he steps into the NHL, and I'm betting the Pens brass feels the same way.

penguins2946*

That's a little optimistic. Pens play a fairly complex defensive "system," if you can even call it that. I'd rather he get some time to learn it and get used to the speed of pro-level forecheckers before he steps into the NHL, and I'm betting the Pens brass feels the same way.

Yeah that's probably true. Dumoulin looked so good last year due to playing the same system that he did in college, and Morrow struggled mightily when going from Portland to Pittsburgh/WBS. Success isn't as black and white as skill level.

Penguinzilla*

Pouliot is so bizarre defensively. He just stands around like he's not worried about anything. Offensively he's awesome, but on D, he's ... something... not motivated? Or he's too much like Letang, he tries to do everything with his stick instead of his body. He's just a weird dude

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm almost positive that Pouliot will be a full time NHLer on the bottom pair with Scuderi next year. Pens love how he has developed, and he nearly made the team this year. He'll make it, especially if Maatta-Letang stays together (so Scuderi gets pushed down)

There's a lot of depth and experience he'd have to leapfrog.

It's not totally outside the realm of possibility, but "almost positive" is setting yourself up for disappointment. Maatta was very much the exception, not the rule, and Pouliot doesn't play the same type of mistake-free game Maatta did to get him into DB's good graces.

Never mind that I don't see any way DB ices two 20 year old defensemen.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
There's a lot of depth and experience he'd have to leapfrog.

It's not totally outside the realm of possibility, but "almost positive" is setting yourself up for disappointment. Maatta was very much the exception, not the rule, and Pouliot doesn't play the same type of mistake-free game Maatta did to get him into DB's good graces.

Never mind that I don't see any way DB ices two 20 year old defensemen.

will Pouliot be in the AHL next year?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Pouliot is so bizarre defensively. He just stands around like he's not worried about anything. Offensively he's awesome, but on D, he's ... something... not motivated? Or he's too much like Letang, he tries to do everything with his stick instead of his body. He's just a weird dude

I don't think I've seen anyone play defense quite like him, haha. It's not even that he's bad, because he's generally in good position and often has good reads and a quick stick, which is why he got so much PK time in the tourney. He's just so laissez-faire.

Like, "relax guys, I'll probably get there and take care of this".

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

My take is he's too worried about arbitrary positioning rather than just picking someone up and sticking to them. it's like someone showed him the Xs and Os of defense and he took it too literally. He needs to be a little more fluid and have a more active stick. Basically more like Harrington & Maatta.

He also plays a lot and may have developed the habit of half-assing it in his own zone to conserve energy, which is actually kind of common for high end d-men in juniors.

Michael8771*

My take is he's too worried about arbitrary positioning rather than just picking someone up and sticking to them. it's like someone showed him the Xs and Os of defense and he took it too literally. He needs to be a little more fluid and have a more active stick. Basically more like Harrington & Maatta.

He also plays a lot and may have developed the habit of half-assing it in his own zone to concerve energy. Despres and Morrow were kinda like that at times too IMO.
I think that's a pretty fair assessment. He does ''pick his spots'' but his defensive game as a whole has improved over the last year. The good news is his offense hasn't suffered in the process.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I don't like Pouliot's defensive game right now. He's still kind of shaky when it comes to taking his man and identifying where he's supposed to be in the defensive zone. You saw it a few times this tournament against the more skilled teams.

His offensive game might be near NHL ready, but I'd like to see him handle his defensive responsibilities in the AHL first, to let him adapt to the pro game.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I think he's more like Niskanen where he has strength issues and loses coverage around the net. I want to blame the mish, mash WJC teams but we've seen that in his game before the WJC.

He's a prospect with elite, high end ability. He's worth waiting for and putting the time in to build a better player.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
A year in the AHL refining his defensive game would definitely be beneficial to him long term.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
All the points above about his defense gives me hope.
He looks like he's barely trying and he's been 1 of Canada's better d-men overall. Imagine if he actually gets stronger and did it with purpose. He'll be fine imo.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Team Canada´s forwards suck, though. Not easy to make a bigger impact for a D-man like DP, when they are playing like this. Pouliot is OK, but that´s it. Also, Matt Dumba is horrible.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think the team Canada brass severely overestimated the offense that their top 6 was capable of bringing. Probably should've left a few grinders off and brought along more skill. I think they assumed they'd be playing with the lead a lot more than they have been.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think the team Canada brass severely overestimated the offense that their top 6 was capable of bringing. Probably should've left a few grinders off and brought along more skill. I think they assumed they'd be playing with the lead a lot more than they have been.

To be fair, Canada has been bringing the same amount of role players pretty consistently, even during their 5 gold in a row streak.

I don't think it's a selection thing. I just think we weren't good enough.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
Personally I like what Bob said, the kids are more afraid of loosing than having the drive to go out there and WIN.

The passing was absolutely terrible all tournament long though.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
A year in the AHL refining his defensive game would definitely be beneficial to him long term.
It couldn't hurt. Its the same system. Just don't yo yo him up and down.

Walk the fine line of weeding out his mistakes and letting him do what has made him so valued at that level first. Then let him spiral up.

I actually like how the Pens have been bringing along their defensemen. Such a turn around from the Whiney, Goligoski, Letang days...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad