GDT: 2014 World Championships Thread

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Pfft, what a selfish play. :sarcasm:

ab655210-e026-11e3-8b12-cd6bb58c0f9b_853707712.gif

Getting really hard to keep expectations realistic. Really hard.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
On the prospect page of the main board I made this comment, I don't care if it's heavy expectations. When all is said and done, I think Gaudreau will have surpassed Iginla's point totals as a Flame. Providing he doesn't have any serious injuries that affect how many games he plays throughout his career, I just don't see any stopping this kid. That is Iginla's most impressive trait, his durability; and it remains to be seen if Gaudreau will have that luck, but if he does then I think in 15 years time he will be the most decorated Flames player in history. This kid has that special something that elite players need. His small stature has helped mould him into the player we see today and it has made him thrive thus far, I think we landed an absolute stud.

How's that for heavy expectations and overrating? :laugh:

I know it's way preliminary to be making these comments, but I don't care and I am just in awe of this kid and his ability. The main reason I say these things is because he's a winner, he wins everywhere he goes, plays his best when the game is on the line and he won't be denied, that's the true measure of a champion.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
The best way to describe the durability of a small player was when I first heard about Martin St. Louis, and one of the responses I remember hearing when asked about his size (and forgive me I'm paraphrasing).

"You can throw a nerf ball in front of a Mack Truck that's going 100 miles / hour, and the nerf ball won't break because it's just not heavy enough. It'll just bounce off, and just keep on going within seconds. The Mack Truck, on the other hand, will take five minutes to stop, turn around, and to try and hit it again."

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
The best way to describe the durability of a small player was when I first heard about Martin St. Louis, and one of the responses I remember hearing when asked about his size (and forgive me I'm paraphrasing).

"You can throw a nerf ball in front of a Mack Truck that's going 100 miles / hour, and the nerf ball won't break because it's just not heavy enough. It'll just bounce off, and just keep on going within seconds. The Mack Truck, on the other hand, will take five minutes to stop, turn around, and to try and hit it again."

Which certainly has some truth to it; it's the inertia of both players that increases the force felt. But if you put a guy between a huge dude and the boards, there can be a problem. And naturally the biggest concern with a little guy is the fact that his head is right at shoulder level for an average player.

That said, JG appears to be very good at slipping checks or taking them without being injured, so here's hoping that continues.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
On the prospect page of the main board I made this comment, I don't care if it's heavy expectations. When all is said and done, I think Gaudreau will have surpassed Iginla's point totals as a Flame. Providing he doesn't have any serious injuries that affect how many games he plays throughout his career, I just don't see any stopping this kid. That is Iginla's most impressive trait, his durability; and it remains to be seen if Gaudreau will have that luck, but if he does then I think in 15 years time he will be the most decorated Flames player in history. This kid has that special something that elite players need. His small stature has helped mould him into the player we see today and it has made him thrive thus far, I think we landed an absolute stud.

How's that for heavy expectations and overrating? :laugh:

I know it's way preliminary to be making these comments, but I don't care and I am just in awe of this kid and his ability. The main reason I say these things is because he's a winner, he wins everywhere he goes, plays his best when the game is on the line and he won't be denied, that's the true measure of a champion.

to be honest it's pretty heavy expectations :laugh: You are saying he will surpass the greatest Flame EVER. I love the kid to death too but hold your horses man.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
to be honest it's pretty heavy expectations :laugh: You are saying he will surpass the greatest Flame EVER. I love the kid to death too but hold your horses man.

I'm trying to man :laugh:

But that's my prediction for his career providing he stays fairly healthy. I stand behind my comments 100%.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'm trying to man :laugh:

But that's my prediction for his career providing he stays fairly healthy. I stand behind my comments 100%.

Temper them a little dude... Haha... I would say that Johnny is capable of getting 1000 points in his career at least. I would say my expectations are in the Paul Kariya's PPG ballpark (989 points in 989 games).

He's going to be a treat to watch.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Temper them a little dude... Haha... I would say that Johnny is capable of getting 1000 points in his career at least. I would say my expectations are in the Paul Kariya's PPG ballpark (989 points in 989 games).

He's going to be a treat to watch.

Kariya was actually a more productive scorer than Iginla over the course of his career if you look at points per game, scoring at a 1.0 PPG pace while is at 0.89. :laugh:

Again, the most impressive stat on Iginla is how durable he has been able to be, it's pretty mind boggling actually. I know I'm getting ahead of myself and those expectations at this point are unfair to Gaudreau, but that is the type of career that I'm predicting for him. The Kariya example is probably a much better comparison all around when you consider production and games played.

Ducksgo*

Guys he's only 5'7 and may not be able to transition all that to the NHL. But DAMN! Is he fun to watch this tournament.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Well that ended badly. The third can be summed up with Scrivens letting in a point shot with no other Finnish players in the zone and Myers making a pass in his own zone to the middle of the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad