GDT: 2014 World Championships Thread

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Backlund has been awesome. But I would like him to play more physical.

He plays a pretty physical game here. Personally, I'd like him to not risk injury and thereby summer development, while at a tournament that in no way impacts the Flames. I'm happy with him strictly working on his offensive creativity while at tournaments such as these, and that sentiment stems to all other Flames players at the tournament. Baertschi just lost 4-6 weeks of summer training because he played in an optional tournament after a 9 month grind.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I think Backs as a whole is a lot stronger with core strength than ever before, thus being able to play more physical and be injured less. Knock on wood.

His focus on fitness and strength last off season was matched only by Iginla and Cammalari in terms of flames players. He is now at an age where professional maturity starts to set in, and he continues to raise his own bar. These international tournaments, are when he needs to push like he is in the playoffs for us.

That's what developing is. Getting better with every situation, in all sides of the game. Meh

sureloss

Jan 5, 2006
Backlund's OT move from Sunday's game:

tmp80_A9.gif

TheClassicK*

Monny's 7th in Faceoffs % in the tourny. Another bright thing to look for next season.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I just read an article about Finland's performance against Belarus and it said Erik Haula is due to join the team in the next few days. Totally threw me off, I had somehow assumed with complete certainty that Haula was American :huh: I guess he did play college, so there's that...

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I just read an article about Finland's performance against Belarus and it said Erik Haula is due to join the team in the next few days. Totally threw me off, I had somehow assumed with complete certainty that Haula was American :huh: I guess he did play college, so there's that...
that must be why you were thinking that, Haula is from Pori, Finland.

In 2008 he crossed the pond to attebd Shattuck St Marys Prep

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
that must be why you were thinking that, Haula is from Pori, Finland.

In 2008 he crossed the pond to attebd Shattuck St Marys Prep
Yeah I looked him up after reading the article. I was surprised since I normally have a pretty good read of players around the league. He was a tough one though, HS+college player with a name that didn't sound particularly Scandinavian or Finnish. Watched nearly every Minny game during these POs and still didn't pick up his POB :laugh: Something about him just struck me as American and I never questioned it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah I looked him up after reading the article. I was surprised since I normally have a pretty good read of players around the league. He was a tough one though, HS+college player with a name that didn't sound particularly Scandinavian or Finnish. Watched nearly every Minny game during these POs and still didn't pick up his POB :laugh: Something about him just struck me as American and I never questioned it.
the spelling of Erik is a bit of a give away I think. In North America it is fairly rare for Erik to be spelled with a K. And Haula sounds Scandinavian to me, maybe just because it reminds me of Valhalla :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad