GDT: 2014 World Championships Thread

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
WHC are coming up in a week or so, so I thought I'd make a thread on it!

Team Canada's Roster (as of now; they can add more players to the roster):

GOALTENDERS (2)
James Reimer Morweena, Man. Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL)
Ben Scrivens Spruce Grove, Alta. Edmonton Oilers (NHL)

DEFENCE (7)
Kevin Bieksa Elmira, Ont. Vancouver Canucks (NHL)
Ryan Ellis Freelton, Ont. Nashville Predators (NHL)
Jason Garrison White Rock, B.C. Vancouver Canucks (NHL)
Erik Gudbranson Ottawa, Ont. Florida Panthers (NHL)
Marc Methot Ottawa, Ont. Ottawa Senators (NHL)
Tyler Myers Calgary, Alta. Buffalo Sabres (NHL)
Morgan Rielly West Vancouver, B.C. Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL)

FORWARDS (11)
Troy Brouwer Vancouver, B.C. Washington Capitals (NHL)
Alexandre Burrows Pincourt, Que. Vancouver Canucks (NHL)
Jason Chimera Edmonton, Alta. Washington Capitals (NHL)
Cody Hodgson Markham, Ont. Buffalo Sabres (NHL)
Jonathan Huberdeau St-Jérôme, Que. Florida Panthers (NHL)
Nazem Kadri London, Ont. Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL)
Sean Monahan Brampton, Ont. Calgary Flames (NHL)
David Perron Sherbrooke, Que. Edmonton Oilers (NHL)
Mark Scheifele Kitchener, Ont. Winnipeg Jets (NHL)
Kyle Turris New Westminster, B.C. Ottawa Senators (NHL)
Joel Ward North York, Ont. Washington Capitals (NHL)

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/news/First-players-named-to-2014-worlds-roster

My predictions for TC Lines:

Perron-Kadri-Scheifele
Huberdeau-Turris-Monahan
Chimera-Hodgson-Brouwer
Burrows-CENTRE-Ward

Garrison-Bieksa
Methot-Reilly
Gudbranson-Ellis
Myers

Reimer
Scrivens

* Gaudreau playing for Team USA as well!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We have alot of guys going.

Hudler is with the Czech Republic, Gaudreau with USA, Backlund with Sweden

Any word on Ramo and Finland?

Also if the Heat lose Wednesday we could see Baertschi join the Swiss team and maybe Granlund for Finland?

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Looks as if Seguin rejected TC's invite to play...

Him and TC have some real beef it seems. I don't know why he would reject as he doesn't have an international profile for TC; if he wants a better chance to make TC, going to the World Championships is a start.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Looks as if Seguin rejected TC's invite to play...

Him and TC have some real beef it seems. I don't know why he would reject as he doesn't have an international profile for TC; if he wants a better chance to make TC, going to the World Championships is a start.

Maybe he was ticked off that he didn't get any consideration to play in the Olympics? Or often guys have injuries this time of year, but if he is healthy it is kind of silly that he wouldn't go, you would think he will be on the team if they go the next time around.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Maybe he was ticked off that he didn't get any consideration to play in the Olympics? Or often guys have injuries this time of year, but if he is healthy it is kind of silly that he wouldn't go, you would think he will be on the team if they go the next time around.

Maybe, but I think him getting cut from the junior team when he was 17 AND the fact he was left off the Ivan Hlinka tourney team made him resent HC. Very interesting for sure.

If he declines, I'm guessing this will weigh in for him making the 2016 WorldCup/2018 Olympic Team.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Or Seguin wants to train, pointless speculation really. He has his reasons, unless Seguin comes out and says why , we will never know. Crosby did that and there was an uproar when he declined, but it was the best move.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Or Seguin wants to train, pointless speculation really. He has his reasons, unless Seguin comes out and says why , we will never know. Crosby did that and there was an uproar when he declined, but it was the best move.

Crosby can decline all he wants, he has the resume to make TC every Olympics; he doesn't need to go to the WHC. Seguin, on the other hand, only has one 80 point season and hasn't really cemented himself as a TC guy. If he goes to the WHC, he gets a better chance to make the Olympic team.

On top of this, Seguin's past attitudes only adds fuel to the fire.

Also, how was it the "best move" for Crosby to decline?

TheClassicK*

It's understandable though. It's a long-ass season, you don't get many months off (involving no workouts/training) during the off-season and Seguin probably wants some rest right away. Just because someone declines to play for the WHC I think it's pretty stupid to have it count against him when it comes time for the Olympics. It doesn't mean he doesn't have the passion and desire to represent his country, it just means he wants his fricking rest.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Also, how was it the "best move" for Crosby to decline?

Well as we all know he played the last 15-20 games of the season after coming back from concussions. He declined the invitation because he wanted to get ready for the 2012-2013 season. That is a lot of conditioning and strength lost in that time he took off. You could tell the training was paying off and then he finished the season with 56 points in 36 games.

In fact, I am pretty sure he said he declined it to get ready for the next season.

Edit: here is the link

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=394090

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
It's understandable though. It's a long-ass season, you don't get many months off (involving no workouts/training) during the off-season and Seguin probably wants some rest right away. Just because someone declines to play for the WHC I think it's pretty stupid to have it count against him when it comes time for the Olympics. It doesn't mean he doesn't have the passion and desire to represent his country, it just means he wants his fricking rest.

While you are true, players representing Canada at the WHC do have a better chance of making the team, if they are a bubble player. For example, if Nathan Mackinnon chooses to represent TC at the WHC while Tyler Seguin declines, who is TC going to select?

I wouldn't really care, but Seguin seems to have an issue with TC and frankly, he comes off as a entitled child. It also seems as if he feels he's too big for the WHC.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
While you are true, players representing Canada at the WHC do have a better chance of making the team, if they are a bubble player. For example, if Nathan Mackinnon chooses to represent TC at the WHC while Tyler Seguin declines, who is TC going to select?

I wouldn't really care, but Seguin seems to have an issue with TC and frankly, he comes off as a entitled child. It also seems as if he feels he's too big for the WHC.

It's an invitational Tournament, and just because you get an invite, by no means does it require you to go. Playoffs are hard on your body, and it is completely understandable that he is choosing not to go, heck Hall declined the invite and he didn't even have a grueling 6 games playoffs against the Anaheim Ducks. The only players that I think should be frowned upon for not going are the uninjured players who did not play in the playoffs. If you were in the playoffs, there should be zero judgement against you if you decide not to go. Playoffs are really hard on your body and mind, so if he wants a break, then good for him, he's earned it.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I think it's fair to say that if Seguin did not have an attitude problem of some sort, that he would still be a Bruin.

And his career would be in a worse spot for it. The best thing for him was to get out of that situation, he was being smothered by enormous center depth.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
It's an invitational Tournament, and just because you get an invite, by no means does it require you to go. Playoffs are hard on your body, and it is completely understandable that he is choosing not to go, heck Hall declined the invite and he didn't even have a grueling 6 games playoffs against the Anaheim Ducks. The only players that I think should be frowned upon for not going are the uninjured players who did not play in the playoffs. If you were in the playoffs, there should be zero judgement against you if you decide not to go. Playoffs are really hard on your body and mind, so if he wants a break, then good for him, he's earned it.

Did you not see what I posted? I said I wouldn't have cared if he declined or not, but the fact in which he seems to have beef with HC and has a big head just rattles me, to an extent. By the way, Hall went to the WHC last year, so it's not a big deal to me.

Oh well, his loss if he doesn't get selected at the 2016 World Cup. I would rather have Mackinnon/Hall/Duchene for TC instead.

Also, you do know that every international tournament is invitational, right? Any player could decline to go to the Olympics if he wanted to. I'm pretty sure Kipper and Nabokov have done that before.

Last edited:

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Did you not see what I posted? I said I wouldn't have cared if he declined or not, but the fact in which he seems to have beef with HC and has a big head just rattles me, to an extent. By the way, Hall went to the WHC last year, so it's not a big deal to me.

Oh well, his loss if he doesn't get selected at the 2016 World Cup. I would rather have Mackinnon/Hall/Duchene for TC instead.

Also, you do know that every international tournament is invitational, right? Any player could decline to go to the Olympics if he wanted to. I'm pretty sure Kipper and Nabokov have done that before.

I wasn't saying invitational as if it was different, just that invitations work both ways, in that he in no way is obligated to go. I can also understand that he may not want to go to the WHC because he is upset about not being invited to the Olympics, when for all intents and purposes he should have been. He's a quick 2 way scoring center that plays the game the right way and has great chemistry already with another of the invitees, and has been offensively spectacular all season, so if he's upset about not getting the invite I don't blame him.

He was 3rd in scoring for centers league wide, so it does seem like a slight to me that he wouldn't be selected. Anyhow, maybe it will come back to haunt him, but if HC is jaded enough to not select an incredibly talented scoring center for their team because he didn't want to use his hard earned off-season to go play more hockey over-seas, then they seriously need to take another look at the selection process.

Also, what does Hall have to do with Seguin being on the World cup team, they would be going after entirely different spots on the roster.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I can also understand that he may not want to go to the WHC because he is upset about not being invited to the Olympics, when for all intents and purposes he should have been. He's a quick 2 way scoring center that plays the game the right way and has great chemistry already with another of the invitees, and has been offensively spectacular all season, so if he's upset about not getting the invite I don't blame him.

I don't think Seguin should have been selected to the National Team. He most definitely wouldn't have been playing at centre, as Crosby, Getzlaf, Bergeron, and Toews had it locked up (for the most part; Babcock likes to switch lines a lot). This means Seguin would most likely have been on RW. During the Olympics, TC had St.Louis, Perry, Nash, and Carter on the RW. Perry and Nash were going to be selected to TC no matter what, so you have to decide between St.Louis, Seguin, or Carter. St.Louis was having yet another amazing season and even he was snubbed to begin with. I would rather have Carter than Seguin, as Carter was possibly the fastest skater on the team. To add to that, Carter was one of the best players on that Canadian squad.

On top of this, it is unlikely that Seguin and Benn would have been on the same line in Sochi. Benn was on a line consisting of himself-Gezlaf-Perry, which was possibly the most dominate line for Team Canada. The Marleau-Toews-Carter line was also very dominant, scoring a majority of the goals for the TC forward lines IIRC. So, that leaves Seguin on the 1st or 4th line. Seguin most likely wouldn't have been on the 1st line, considering Babcock wanted Crosby to have familiar line mates (Kunitz/Bergeron). So, this leaves Seguin on the 4th line, consisting of Sharp-Duchene/Bergeron-Seguin/St.Louis.. IMO, I would much rather have St.Louis as he has been an all-star for his whole career; Seguin, not so much (he had a below average year in 2012-2013, which was only a year away from Sochi; this doesn't help his case at all).

He was 3rd in scoring for centers league wide, so it does seem like a slight to me that he wouldn't be selected. Anyhow, maybe it will come back to haunt him, but if HC is jaded enough to not select an incredibly talented scoring center for their team because he didn't want to use his hard earned off-season to go play more hockey over-seas, then they seriously need to take another look at the selection process.

Again, it was stated that Seguin was a bubble player. If you are to select a bubble player, would you rather pick one that would be eager to represent Canada and not the latter?

For 2016, Seguin would most likely go as a winger. So, do you choose Seguin over Giroux, Bergeron, Perry, Carter, E.Staal, Mackinnon, Stamkos, Neal, ect..

Also, what does Hall have to do with Seguin being on the World cup team, they would be going after entirely different spots on the roster.

I was just giving examples of similar bubble players that could possibly make Team Canada.

Last edited:

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think Seguin should have been selected to the National Team. He most definitely wouldn't have been playing at centre, as Crosby, Getzlaf, Bergeron, and Toews had it locked up (for the most part; Babcock likes to switch lines a lot). This means Seguin would most likely have been on RW. During the Olympics, TC had St.Louis, Perry, Nash, and Carter on the RW. Perry and Nash were going to be selected to TC no matter what, so you have to decide between St.Louis, Seguin, or Carter. St.Louis was having yet another amazing season and even he was snubbed to begin with. I would rather have Carter than Seguin, as Carter was possibly the fastest skater on the team. To add to that, Carter was one of the best players on that Canadian squad.

On top of this, it is unlikely that Seguin and Benn would have been on the same line in Sochi. Benn was on a line consisting of himself-Gezlaf-Perry, which was possibly the most dominate line for Team Canada. The Marleau-Toews-Carter line was also very dominant, scoring a majority of the goals for the TC forward lines IIRC. So, that leaves Seguin on the 1st or 4th line. Seguin most likely wouldn't have been on the 1st line, considering Babcock wanted Crosby to have familiar line mates (Kunitz/Bergeron). So, this leaves Seguin on the 4th line, consisting of Sharp-Duchene/Bergeron-Seguin/St.Louis.. IMO, I would much rather have St.Louis as he has been an all-star for his whole career; Seguin, not so much (he had a below average year in 2012-2013, which was only a year away from Sochi; this doesn't help his case at all).

Again, it was stated that Seguin was a bubble player. If you are to select a bubble player, would you rather pick one that would be eager to represent Canada and not the latter?

For 2016, Seguin would most likely go as a winger. So, do you choose Seguin over Giroux, Bergeron, Perry, Carter, E.Staal, Mackinnon, Stamkos, Neal, ect..

I was just giving examples of similar bubble players that could possibly make Team Canada.

I guess the only thing I disagree with is with Seguin being a bubble player. I don't see how they can consider the NHL's 4 highest scoring player a bubble player. I don't see how you can put 13-14 Canadian forwards ahead of the 4 highest scorer in the league. Just my opinion though.

Also, sure Canada had dominant lines, but you have no idea if any of those lines would have been as good or better with a guy like Seguin on them, who can be and had been a prolific scorer throughout the season.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I guess the only thing I disagree with is with Seguin being a bubble player. I don't see how they can consider the NHL's 4 highest scoring player a bubble player. I don't see how you can put 13-14 Canadian forwards ahead of the 4 highest scorer in the league. Just my opinion though.

Totally understandable. I would be more inclined with you if Seguin was a few years older and had a few 60/70/80 point seasons to his resume.

If Seguin was 28 and is scoring on a whim, I would be fine with him not going. But as a 22 year old, it may be smart to head over-seas to play for his country in hopes of making the 2016 World Cup team, you know? And trust me, I would love to have Seguin on TC in 2016! That's why I'm a bit "flustered" if he doesn't accept the invite.

TheClassicK*

I really don't think that's true. I mean, they shouldn't be responsible with the assembling of the team if they account the players' WHC participation into their chances of selection, because it's stupid. What determines the players' chances of making the Olympic/World Cup team, even if they are the "bubble players", is how they perform leading up to those events, and what kinds of players the management thinks will make a winning team. I didn't hear stuff like that when they were picking the Olympic squad.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If one can consider Giroux a bubble player, one can definitely consider Seguin a bubble player. TC deliberately chose a big team, that could skate and shut opposing teams down, and really who can argue with the results they had?

And sorry, I'm to lazy to look for the link, but last year before the WC's, I'm pretty sure that Yzerman said players that are serious about making the Olympics better show their stuff at the WC's for TC because they wanted to win that tournament. While I don't think playing in that tournament is the be all and end all for the selection process, I do firmly believe participation plays a factor in their decision making process. That is also why I think they want Monahan to go, I believe they see him as a potential player for our country down the road and want to get him acclimatized to the international game.

May 27, 2012
Earth
If one can consider Giroux a bubble player, one can definitely consider Seguin a bubble player. TC deliberately chose a big team, that could skate and shut opposing teams down, and really who can argue with the results they had?

And sorry, I'm to lazy to look for the link, but last year before the WC's, I'm pretty sure that Yzerman said players that are serious about making the Olympics better show their stuff at the WC's for TC because they wanted to win that tournament. While I don't think playing in that tournament is the be all and end all for the selection process, I do firmly believe participation plays a factor in their decision making process. That is also why I think they want Monahan to go, I believe they see him as a potential player for our country down the road and want to get him acclimatized to the international game.

Giroux is not a bubble player. I am not fan of the Flyers, but Giroux was not needed on the team. Obviously he would have helped. At the time it was bad to leave him off the team, but now not so much. Canada just has so much depth that Team Canada 2 could have won.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Giroux is not a bubble player. I am not fan of the Flyers, but Giroux was not needed on the team. Obviously he would have helped. At the time it was bad to leave him off the team, but now not so much. Canada just has so much depth that Team Canada 2 could have won.

You wouldn't classify a final 3 player to make the team a bubble player?

I think it was criminal Giroux was left off as a matter of principle, he deserved to be on that team. But I understand why that decision was made, they had a clear blueprint in mind and Giroux was not part of that plan, it must of been a very tough decision to make leaving that talented of a player off the team. And you are absolutely correct, Canada could ice a Gold and Silver roster with little difficulty, our wealth of players is ridiculous. The NHL's top 3 and 4 leading scorers were left off the team and last years leading scorer was left off initially as well too :laugh:

May 27, 2012
Earth
You wouldn't classify a final 3 player to make the team a bubble player?

I think it was criminal Giroux was left off as a matter of principle, he deserved to be on that team. But I understand why that decision was made, they had a clear blueprint in mind and Giroux was not part of that plan, it must of been a very tough decision to make leaving that talented of a player off the team. And you are absolutely correct, Canada could ice a Gold and Silver roster with little difficulty, our wealth of players is ridiculous. The NHL's top 3 and 4 leading scorers were left off the team and last years leading scorer was left off initially as well too :laugh:

I am saying he is better than a bubble player. He should have made the team,but Yzerman knew what he was doing, and to them the players they picked played a specif role. They still won. Its in Rob Blake's hands now, so I guess we will see what team he wants to build.

TheClassicK*

I'd like to see that link if anyone finds it.

You look at a guy like Jordan Eberle who's played for TC at the WHCs for 3 consecutive tournaments up to last year, and represented TC at the junior level establishing himself as one of the most decorated World Juniors player (ranked 1st on TSN's "Top 40 All-Time Canadian Juniors). He's THAT guy for you if you're looking for international experience. He must've been pretty disappointed he didn't even get considered for the Olympic team, and I honestly think he could've played better than Kunitz or Sharp, who I thought were the worst forwards for Canada.

But no, Eberle didn't make it because at the time, the management snubbed him probably because they simply thought others were better, or they simply were looking for certain types of players. Eric Staal is also one who consistently played in the WHC, but was snubbed because of depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad