2014 World Championships Belarus May 9-25

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
It's amazing to see Ovechkin's passing skills. When he plays with guys that can score it really brings out that part of his game. Would love to see someone on his line next season that can compliment him. He is playing some great d too. As I write this he assists on the Russian 6th goal

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Ovechkin is such a better passer on the LW. On the RW, he doesn't see the ice very well.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Ovie needs to be enjoying the game. If he's not having fun out there, you're not going to get the same old Ovechkin. That's what strikes my fear about disciplinarian coaches, they'll make the 82 game grind even worse. We need someone who can help Ovie enjoy the game again, while not putting him in a position to fail (as Oates sometimes did at even strength).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ovie needs to be enjoying the game. If he's not having fun out there, you're not going to get the same old Ovechkin. That's what strikes my fear about disciplinarian coaches, they'll make the 82 game grind even worse. We need someone who can help Ovie enjoy the game again, while not putting him in a position to fail (as Oates sometimes did at even strength).

I wonder how much support you will find here for that idea. I wonder what we would see with a full throttle offensive coach who was also a disciplinarian?

That said there are a lot of people that want their pound of flesh. If they have a bad game, bag skate em. if they are struggling, bench and scratch em. fire em waive em cut them buy them out.

a lot of caps fans want ov punished for not playing well or not putting forward the effort they want.

Liberati0n*

I wonder how much support you will find here for that idea. I wonder what we would see with a full throttle offensive coach who was also a disciplinarian?

That said there are a lot of people that want their pound of flesh. If they have a bad game, bag skate em. if they are struggling, bench and scratch em. fire em waive em cut them buy them out.

a lot of caps fans want ov punished for not playing well or not putting forward the effort they want.

He's right, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable not to push him to improve and make his game more complete. They need to emphasize how quickly defense can turn into offense and generally get him to enjoy beating guys that way, spark his enthusiasm for being a physical beast on the boards, etc. At the same time, a disciplinarian coach who approaches it more negatively doesn't have to sap his enthusiasm. If the situation is conducive to his scoring and the PP is working, he can probably be enthusiastic in the offensive zone while accepting he has to do other things in order to be playing in the situations he likes in the first place.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006

From what Ovie has said in the press over the last couple of years, I get the idea that he's very sensitive to his public image, and that has had more to do with his diminishing excitement on the ice than his coaches. Obviously I'm not in the guy's head, but he seems to be well aware of public criticism and to react to that criticism in his game.

It's too bad he's one of the faces of the NHL, because the media scrutiny has not helped his game, IMO.

Burakovsky95*

Crazy how different a player he looks in this tournament. Almost like he's playing in a real system, having fun again.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm curious what's happening with Ovi. Is it the system/position/team or the style of the national game that's conducive to his play?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad