2014 WHL Tie Break and Playoff discussion

lopper

Oct 22, 2006
AB
For alllll the fans that hate the Winterhawks, the Oil Kings say your welcome :handclap:

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
The Winterhawks came out tight, and outside of 15 minutes, played way too tight. Not just defensive miscues; I thank my lucky stars there was no drinking game involving the number of times a Hawk lost the puck right at his skates and couldn't really dig it out.

Actually, that happened to Edmonton, too, but a lot of the time, they cocoon a bit, either sit on the puck or an opponent's stick, and wait for the cavalry to arrive.

Edmonton was definitely the better team tonight. No doubt about that. Congratulations.

Oct 15, 2008
Great three years of battles between two great teams.

Can they make it four?

I expect Portland to be in the mix next year.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Great three years of battles between two great teams.

Can they make it four?

I expect Portland to be in the mix next year.

you think?

Losing,

Haar
Rossignol
Boes
Pouliot
Leipsic
Dumba
& Leier (probably)

They have some quality coming back, but they will mosty likeyl pick up a couple american kids who (for some reason or another) decide to not go to college...Say no more.

Hordichuk_24

What are the lot of different reasons why you are satisfied to see Portland lose?

I won't bother mentioning the obvious reason. For me that part doesn't bother me that much. I don't like a lot of players on their current roster mainly due to their cockiness and arrogance. I can't count how many times Portland would run up the score and several of their top players would laugh, gloat and point at the scoreboard trying to rub it in. Beating a team you should beat isn't something you should be bragging about. Then to top it off they would still dive and try and draw another penalty right after. Which brings me to another reason I just mentioned previously. The team is full of divers and it's well known league wide. And last but not least there are a handful of mouthy Winterhawks led by Leipsic (also their most notorious diver). I have no problem with a little trash talking but only if you are willing to back it up. Portland loves to talk a tough game but most of the time their mitts are glued on. I realize we are now in an era of hockey where that is considered "acceptable" but I will never be a fan of that type of hockey. In fact I flat out despise it.

Anyway does that answer your question?

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
you think?

Losing,

Haar
Rossignol
Boes
Pouliot
Leipsic
Dumba
& Leier (probably)

They have some quality coming back, but they will mosty likeyl pick up a couple american kids who (for some reason or another) decide to not go to college...Say no more.

losing the 3 guys on the back end will hurt the msot but they still will bring out a top 6 group of forwards that will be as good as anyone next year along with guys like Turgeon and Iverson too.

Like Liquor said they will be in the mix next year as well.

alcoraces

Jun 1, 2008
I won't bother mentioning the obvious reason. For me that part doesn't bother me that much. I don't like a lot of players on their current roster mainly due to their cockiness and arrogance. I can't count how many times Portland would run up the score and several of their top players would laugh, gloat and point at the scoreboard trying to rub it in. Beating a team you should beat isn't something you should be bragging about. Then to top it off they would still dive and try and draw another penalty right after. Which brings me to another reason I just mentioned previously. The team is full of divers and it's well known league wide. And last but not least there are a handful of mouthy Winterhawks led by Leipsic (also their most notorious diver). I have no problem with a little trash talking but only if you are willing to back it up. Portland loves to talk a tough game but most of the time their mitts are glued on. I realize we are now in an era of hockey where that is considered "acceptable" but I will never be a fan of that type of hockey. In fact I flat out despise it.

I admire and respect the talent on the Winterhawks team, but this comment is bang on! And now that they have no first round picks until 2018 due to their previous shady dealings in signing players, they will be in tough to keep themselves competitive.

Sucks to be them. Good luck to the Oil Kings in London!

Oct 15, 2008
you think?

Losing,

Haar
Rossignol
Boes
Pouliot
Leipsic
Dumba
& Leier (probably)

Theyve got Petan and Bjorkstrand likely returning. Along with Turgeon, Iverson, De Leo, Bittner, Shoenborn, Cedarholm, Burke plus whatever NCAA defectors they manage to attract. Yes I absolutely do think they will be at the top of the WC or at least close to it next year. Who is going to be better?

alcoraces

Jun 1, 2008
Victoria. Vancouver. Kelowna. Everett. To name a few.

Good luck next season, but there are several teams in the West that already have the talent, and several more that are only going to get better.

Oct 15, 2008

Good luck next season, but there are several teams in the West that already have the talent, and several more that are only going to get better.

All four of those teams are going to be better?

Wanna bet?

arsmaster*

Vancouver surely won't be better next year, Victoria maybe, but theyre losing a ton of depth, but their drafting looks good since they've left Chilliwack.

Everett, don't really know a ton, but I can't see it.

Kelowna, Victoria, Seattle, and Portland will be the class of the WC.

If we're talking about teams that look like they won't nearly as good, its the OK's. Losing Reinhart and Samuelsson are huge losses.

Portland will need blueline help for sure, but they've already signed that Heinrich kid. They'll be more.

Their shady dealings had nothing to do with signing players, they flew in parents and paid a cell phone bill.
-------
Agree with rocko604 about the cockiness of Portland, but these are teenage boys. I don't really look down on them for it, and you can imagine when any of the kids pointed to the score board there was most likely a comment from the opposition that preceded it. If you don't want to scrap or don't feel like name calling, pointing to the scoreboard is a pretty easy way to get your point across.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Vancouver surely won't be better next year, Victoria maybe, but theyre losing a ton of depth, but their drafting looks good since they've left Chilliwack.

Everett, don't really know a ton, but I can't see it.

Kelowna, Victoria, Seattle, and Portland will be the class of the WC.

If we're talking about teams that look like they won't nearly as good, its the OK's. Losing Reinhart and Samuelsson are huge losses.

Portland will need blueline help for sure, but they've already signed that Heinrich kid. They'll be more.

Their shady dealings had nothing to do with signing players, they flew in parents and paid a cell phone bill.
-------
Agree with rocko604 about the cockiness of Portland, but these are teenage boys. I don't really look down on them for it, and you can imagine when any of the kids pointed to the score board there was most likely a comment from the opposition that preceded it. If you don't want to scrap or don't feel like name calling, pointing to the scoreboard is a pretty easy way to get your point across.

People are gonna bash me here but take a look at PG, they are by no means going to be the class of the west, but they arent gonna be last either. With a newly invigorated fan base and some good young players they should be decent, maybe mid conference, somewhere in the 5-8 range. I surely dont think they will miss the playoffs again.

Looking at who they will most likely get back, they will be very top 6 heavy.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

Portland will be better than 2 of those teams at least, maybe 3, maybe even all of them.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
People are gonna bash me here but take a look at PG, they are by no means going to be the class of the west, but they arent gonna be last either. With a newly invigorated fan base and some good young players they should be decent, maybe mid conference, somewhere in the 5-8 range. I surely dont think they will miss the playoffs again.

Looking at who they will most likely get back, they will be very top 6 heavy.

PG is going to be in tough, again. Losing guys like Bourke and Pochiro are massive blows up front. Plus a guy like Fiddler, who was a total stud for them.

They're losing their top 4 scorers once you throw Klarc Wilson into the mix.

james bond

Aug 5, 2007

I like your answer. Still not sure about what the obvious is.. I guess I wasn't the only one noticing about Leipsic. With some of his diving I wonder if he played the victom one too many times and ended up hurting his team. The victom thing seems to be a real reflection of society these days.

james bond

Aug 5, 2007
Portland will be better than 2 of those teams at least, maybe 3, maybe even all of them.

Will be interesting. I wonder if Cederholm and Bjorkstrand return to Europe next year providing the dont get a spot in the NHL.

Hordichuk_24

Agree with rocko604 about the cockiness of Portland, but these are teenage boys. I don't really look down on them for it,

You could use that argument for all players league wide. And most don't act that way. So it doesn't hold any water, IMO. It has to do with a certain type of player and Portland has many of those. I'll just leave it at that.

arsmaster said:
and you can imagine when any of the kids pointed to the score board there was most likely a comment from the opposition that preceded it. If you don't want to scrap or don't feel like name calling, pointing to the scoreboard is a pretty easy way to get your point across.

While I agree something was likely said which preceded the scoreboard pointing it's still a cocky and gutless move which will only add more fuel to the fire. If you are going to pull that type of crap you'd better back it up. That's my take anyway. Then again I'm as old school as you can get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad