2014 WHL Tie Break and Playoff discussion

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Well everyone knows Bowey and Reinhart and all those guys on Portland are good, they are practically NHL players already, it's different to see a 16-year-old who can play with those guys and make them look slow.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Last night in Portland... 61 saves for Cooke (many ridiculous; I'll never get over him trapping one with his toes), Portland gets 2 goals in the final 3 minutes to force overtime, game winner right at 10:00.

I think Kelowna is gassed. Playing tonight won't help.

I can guess what Shaw was thinking by not televising this series, but it wasn't well thought out.

Hordichuk_24

I can guess what Shaw was thinking by not televising this series, but it wasn't well thought out.

It's pretty simple really. They prefer not to broadcast in the states (for money costs) plus Edmonton is their biggest market left in the WHL playoffs. They don't choose based on what series will be more entertaining (although I understand why many fans would prefer that).

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Stick a fork in Kelowna.

God damn I hate Portland. Thankfully they'll have some bare cupboards the next couple years after losing those draft picks.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
4th straight trip to the WHL Finals for the Winterhawks as they win game 5, 7-3 and the series 4-1

It's too bad the CHL doesn't handle illegal recruiting and benefits the way the NCAA does. Winterhawks would be banned from the playoffs. Who needs draft picks when you have dollars?

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
It's too bad the CHL doesn't handle illegal recruiting and benefits the way the NCAA does. Winterhawks would be banned from the playoffs. Who needs draft picks when you have dollars?

Agreed.

Sadly, I don't see them getting put in their place until the Memorial Cup. Edmonton is good, but I'm not sure they can battle that firepower.

Hordichuk_24

No team in the WHL is beating the Winterhawks in a 7 game series. It doesn't matter which team wins the east. The Rockets were the most capable and Portland made quick work of them. It's unfortunate because I despise everything about them but that doesn't change the fact they are the best team in the league by far.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny

Are you sure the league couldn't do that?

Mind you, finding out would require revealing the rules under which they operate. It strikes me funny that this isn't done.

Let's face these possibles:

- Maybe the league thinks the sanctions were only so bad...

or

- Maybe the league doesn't really want to police the sausage-making that much, therefore funny business might be more the norm than you want to believe; so the owners only punish by "their" rules / golden rule.

(Yes, I'm of the belief that Ron Robison operates at the whim of the owners. I'll say that about every commissioner until presented with solid evidence otherwise.)

It could just be stupidity, but when you're talking about people with enough money to own in this league, I have my doubts.

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
Agreed.

Sadly, I don't see them getting put in their place until the Memorial Cup. Edmonton is good, but I'm not sure they can battle that firepower.
My thoughts as well. Edmonton is going to have to play a flawless series to beat the Hawks- Jarry will need to be stellar and the Kings will need to use their heavy group of forwards to expose the Portland defence.

And as irritating/infuriating as it is that Portland has managed to assemble yet another high calibre squad despite the foul play and penalties, you gotta give credit to their scouting department. The scoring depth that Schoenborn (sp?), Turgeon, Bittner, Iverson and the like have given them is a huge part of their success.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
No team in the WHL is beating the Winterhawks in a 7 game series. It doesn't matter which team wins the east. The Rockets were the most capable and Portland made quick work of them. It's unfortunate because I despise everything about them but that doesn't change the fact they are the best team in the league by far.

OKs are unique in that they play a very structured system. Best defensive structure in the WHL imo. They also play a heavy game which is something that Kelowna didn't do enough of in their series. OKs have a shot, although I would agree that Jarry has to be outstanding.

Oct 15, 2008

Edmonton beat both teams in the reg season. Kelowna isnt all that. Portland is too much though. Anything they win will be tainted though. Kind of like Ben Johnson and the gold medal.

Oct 15, 2008
OKs are unique in that they play a very structured system. Best defensive structure in the WHL imo. They also play a heavy game which is something that Kelowna didn't do enough of in their series. OKs have a shot, although I would agree that Jarry has to be outstanding.

Everett played a much more structured/defensive game than the Oil Kings from what I could tell.

Portland has too much firepower. Edmonton cant match that. Not sure they can keep up with Portland's speed either. I heard a stat the other day, something like the Winterhawks have only lost three or four times in their last forty games or something like that.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Everett played a much more structured/defensive game than the Oil Kings from what I could tell.

Portland has too much firepower. Edmonton cant match that. Not sure they can keep up with Portland's speed either. I heard a stat the other day, something like the Winterhawks have only lost three or four times in their last forty games or something like that.

Everett was good defensively, but they don't have the roster talent the OKs have either. OKs are the best combination of system and roster quality that the Winterhawks will face in the WHL. They're the best bet to beat them (not including other teams from other junior leagues in the MC of course).

I know that the OKs win against them this year was pre-Dumba, but it's not impossible for this to happen again even with Dumba.

Obsidian311

Mar 5, 2011
Salem, OR
What does Portland's team look like for next year? Is a 5 year championship run possible?

We lose Boes, Rossignol, and Haar to age

We will likely lose Leipsic, Pouliot, Leier, and Dumba to the NHL/AHL

We could lose Petan and Bjorkstrand to the NHL but I don't think either would stick due to their play style.

That leaves the Hawks with a Lineup of:

Bittner/Petan/?
?/Deleo/Bjorkstrand
Iverson/Turgeon/Schoenborn
Price/DeChamplain/Prednichuck (Or McKenzie)

Cederholm/?
Texeira/?
Hanson/Viveiros

Burke
Hill

So we have 2 forward spots to fill, 2 Defense spots to fill, and 2 20 spots open. If Burke can get better, both Bjorkstrand and Petan come back, and we fill our spots with good players I think we still have enough to make a run in the playoffs. It will definitely be tough for us though but Mike J has done well so far even when people thought we would be in the gutter already.

Hordichuk_24

Cloned said:

The same could be said for Victoria. Portland absolutely lit them up. Edmonton is more talented than Victoria but not so much that I see it being the key difference maker in this match up.

Edmonton beat both teams in the reg season. Kelowna isnt all that.

I've seen plenty of Portland, Kelowna and Edmonton all season long. Kelowna was the team with the best chance of beating them, IMO. Edmonton is a good team but they aren't on the same level in my eyes. And believe me I'd love nothing more than to be wrong. In fact I flat out hope I'm wrong. I just don't see it happening.

edmontonfan59

Nov 9, 2009
Does Leipsic get any extra games for his Spearing Major and Game Misc.? On the Discipline section of the WHL site I saw at least 1 guy got 2 games for that and he has been suspended twice already this year. Will the WHL do the right thing and give him what the would in Reg. season?

edmontonfan59

Nov 9, 2009
Does Leipsic get any extra games for his Spearing Major and Game Misc.? On the Discipline section of the WHL site I saw at least 1 guy got 2 games for that and he has been suspended twice already this year. Will the WHL do the right thing and give him what the would in Reg. season?

Hordichuk_24

He definitely should. I would imagine he does get suspended. How long is the bigger question. That would certainly benefit Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad