2014 WHL Tie Break and Playoff discussion

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Leipsic only received a 1 game suspension. I'm surprised considering his history. Good break for Portland.

That's one less game the OK's have to deal with him. He's a fairly big part of their offence.

I'm thinking the W wussed out on his suspension for exactly that reason.

lopper

Oct 22, 2006
AB
Kelowna swept Portland in the regular season. Of course, I believe they had Myles Bell and Portland hadn't yet got Mathew Dumba.

Dumba and Corbin Boes turned the Winterhawks from merely great to damn!

Are the asterisk championships as cool as the real ones?

Hordichuk_24

Almost forgot to make my prediction for the finals

WHL Championship:

Edmonton Oil Kings vs Portland Winterhawks
Winterhawks in 5. I can see the Oil Kings pushing it to six games but I'm going to stick with my gut instinct. I truly hope somehow the Oil Kings can win this series I just can't even think of a likely scenario in which that is possible. I've watched every playoff series the Hawks have been in this season and I don't think there is a team in this league capable of beating them in a seven game series. I always go back to their goaltending as a weak spot but Boes has stepped in and strengthened that area significantly, IMO. Good luck Edmonton you are going to need it. :(

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So I said earlier in the thread that the dedicated systems play of the OKs could give the Hawks fits. It's happening right now. It took Portland until the middle of the third period in tonight's game to realize they had to start dumping and chasing, and then the OKs were ready for that too. The OKs are completely in the Hawks' heads right now, including Jarry. Laxdal has out coached Johnston thus far as well.

Hawks are a good team though - I suspect Game 6 will be an absolute war. I'm still staying with my prediction - OKs in 6 games.

WesternHockeyScout

Apr 29, 2011
So I said earlier in the thread that the dedicated systems play of the OKs could give the Hawks fits. It's happening right now. It took Portland until the middle of the third period in tonight's game to realize they had to start dumping and chasing, and then the OKs were ready for that too. The OKs are completely in the Hawks' heads right now, including Jarry. Laxdal has out coached Johnston thus far as well.

Hawks are a good team though - I suspect Game 6 will be an absolute war. I'm still staying with my prediction - OKs in 6 games.
It's hard not to be impressed with the Oil Kings from top to bottom. What an amazing turnaround from looking at a 2 goal deficit in game 3 and down 2-0 already. Then just flip a switch and shut the doors completely on the Hawks. Really impressive hockey by Laxdal's team

Hordichuk_24

The OKs are completely in the Hawks' heads right now, including Jarry. Laxdal has out coached Johnston thus far as well.

I definitely agree with the latter. Statistically Victoria was one of the best defensive teams in the league and Portland lit them up. So it isn't as simple as saying it's the system a team plays. Many teams play a tight defensive system. I think the main difference here is Laxdal is doing a hell of a job figuring out how to shut down Portland's high flying offense. Something a few pretty good coaches couldn't do in Don Hay and Ryan Huska. I didn't think the Oil Kings stood a chance and quite frankly after the first two games of the series it seemed that was a safe bet. Good for the Oil Kings. I still wouldn't count out Portland but I hope Edmonton can hang on and win one more.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Hopefully the boys can end it tonight. Going back to Portland, where the Winterhawks rarely lose, isn't something that excites me.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Would love to know what Samuellson was thinking while he glided in while his man puts in the OT winner.....Winterhawks in 7?

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
So in the same offseason, I attended Game 2 of the Winterhawks v Kelowna and listened (and watched the delayed broadcast, damn Mariners owning damn Root Sports) tonight- and that after the Timbers pulled one out in stoppage after ****ing it up in stoppage. I'm tempted to believe that's too much excitement for one post-season for a guy my age.

Two defensemen who were deer-in-headlights Friday night scored goals tonight. What a damn boring random sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad