2014 WHL Tie Break and Playoff discussion

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Great game between the Wheat Kings and Pats this evening. Regina up 4-1 mid first and Brandon wins 5-4 in regulation from a Hawryluk hat trick.

Is the pats goalie hurt? He seemed to have a hard time with his one leg. A few times he had to shake it off after a save.

ace4

Mar 11, 2014
Listening to the Victoria Royals 6-1 win in Spokane, I couldn't understand why the game operations people kept playing a Homer Simpson "woowho" during play. Anytime the Spokane goalie made a save or a player got a shot on goal you would hear this. Isn't that type of sound effect they should play after a goal?

Oct 15, 2008
Jayce Hawryluk collapsed on way to dressing room and was taken to hospital. Seems to be doing ok now.

Hopefully it was something minor and he will be alright.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Jayce Hawryluk collapsed on way to dressing room and was taken to hospital. Seems to be doing ok now.

Hopefully it was something minor and he will be alright.

@wheatkingsvoice: 2/3 "Jayce was taken to hospital after tonight's game...While concerned the club believes it is not serious..." #bdnmb

@wheatkingsvoice: 3/3 ..."Until we have more information we can not pinpoint the cause...Jayce is resting comfortably." #bdnmb

Sounds like he's doing better. Scary stuff though.

trckrdr

Jan 31, 2013
Hitmen in a bit of a spot of bother now. Kootenay takes game four 5-4. Backup Wyatt Hoflin comes in in relief and stops all 20 shots he faced. Jaedon Descheneau scored the winner with 51 seconds left in the third. Calgary simply has no answer for that top line, now with the series tied and a goalie the Ice may be able to count on, things could get real dicey for the Hitmen. Great series, great games, if you can catch the rest of the games you really should. They are being broadcast on Shaw.

The thing is, they handled that line well in game 2. We'll have to see if they can get things going again tonight at home. Maybe if we're lucky, Hoflin got left in Cranbrook. :D

ace4

Mar 11, 2014
Victoria sweeps Spokane for the first series win in franchise history. Now they have to play one of the big dogs in Portland. No one in Victoria is expecting much, but it would be nice if Portland didn't dominate this series.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Victoria sweeps Spokane for the first series win in franchise history. Now they have to play one of the big dogs in Portland. No one in Victoria is expecting much, but it would be nice if Portland didn't dominate this series.
Portland is stacked, but Victoria is a good team, too. The Royals have the edge in physical play, defense, and goaltending, IMO, but Portland is just so skilled, especially up front.

Looking forward to a good series.

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
I was hoping for Portland to overtake Kelowna down the stretch. The Royals beat Kelowna five times this year, a full third of all Kelowna's losses during the season. I would have enjoyed that match-up. :handclap:

Although Victoria beat Portland three out of four meetings this year too, but all the games were before Portland's late season streak. All four were one-goal games.

Portland is certainly the big favourite, but I think Victoria will put up a good fight.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Congrats to the Royals on making the 2nd round for the first time in franchise history! :yo:

It's going to be a battle in the second round, for sure.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Dreidger completely fell apart and basically cost the Hitmen the series.

sunsoutgunsout

#redacted
Jan 14, 2013
Welp, little late in posting this, but congrats to Liquor and any other OK fans on here. You guys have a hell of a team.

Oct 15, 2008
Oil Kings vs Brandon Weak Queens. Oil Kings in 4.

Medicine Hat vs Kootenay. Really waffling on this one. I think the Tigers are the stronger team but man that Reinhart/Descheneau line is a runaway train. I liked Kootenay from the start of the season so Ill go Ice in 7.

Portland vs Victoria. Cheaterhawks in 5.

Kelowna vs Seattle. Kelowna in 4.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Oil Kings vs Wheat Kings - Oil Kings in 6 :(

Tigers vs Ice - Ice in 6

Winterhawks vs Royals - Hawks in 6

Rockets vs Thunderbirds - Rockets in 5

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
http://whl.ca/article/whl-announces-2nd-round-playoff-schedules

Edmonton Oil Kings vs Brandon Wheat Kings
Oil Kings in 6: I seriouslyyyyyyyyy underrated the WKs, and now I have them putting up a fighting, but ultimately losing to a better OKs team.

Medicine Hat Tigres vs Kootenay Ice
Ice in 7: Hard one to predict because whenever see Tigres team on paper it's meh at best, but whenever watching them you see their work ethic. I still like Ice and actually cheering for them to go all the way.

Kelowna Rockets vs Seattle Thunderbirds
Rockets in 5: I thought Seattle was going to be one year away from making an impact, but their offensive game came through against a good Silvertips defense. Rockets are too good, but they will surprise Kelowna every game.

Portland Winterhawks vs Victoria Royals
Winterhawks in 6: As I said before, Royals are one of the deepest teams offensive so I see it as whoever has the better 2nd/3rd lines in the series wins it. Royals gotta play some displine hockey, Hawks PP is Ovechkin with Stamkos deadly.

spfan

May 4, 2009
Edmonton in 5
Brandon in 7
Calgary in 6
Swift Current in 7

Kelowna in 4
Portland in 4
Spokane in 7
Seattle in 7

5/8 on winners. 1/8 on correct series length and winners.

Edmonton in 5
Kootenay in 5

Kelowna in 6
Portland in 5

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
People forgetting that Seattle was up 3-0 against Kelowna last year before Kelowna came back and won in 7. Might be closer than many expect but think that Kelowna will prevail

Hordichuk_24

Eastern Conference:

7. Brandon Wheat Kings vs 1. Edmonton Oil Kings
Oil Kings in 5. I underestimated Brandon in round one (that or overestimated Regina) but I really can't see an upset here. Maybe they can push the series to six games but I don't see Edmonton losing this series barring some significant injury.

6. Kootenay Ice vs 4. Medicine Hat
Ice in 7. Definitely a tough one to call. Hardest match up to predict in the second round. My gut tells me Kootenay wins this one in either 6 or 7. It's really a coin toss, IMO.

Western Conference:

4. Seattle Thunderbirds vs 1. Kelowna Rockets
Rockets in 5. I'd rather see Seattle somehow advance but I think it's been a foregone conclusion they will play Portland in the Western Conference Finals for a long time now. Seattle is good enough to win at least one game possibly even two but I think that is the best they can hope for.

3. Victoria Royals vs 2. Portland Winterhawks
Winterhawks in 6. I hate to say it but as I said previously I think it'll come down to Portland and Kelowna out west. I'll really be rooting for Victoria to pull of an upset but I'm not counting on it. I know the Royals have played well against the Winterhawks this season (mostly prior to the Dumba trade) but the Hawks just seem to be firing on all cylinders. The one potential weak spot for Portland (as per usual it seems) is in net. Burke did not look solid against the Giants. Fortunately for Portland the Giants hardly tested him all series. When he did see some action he looked very shaky. If Victoria can generate some offense they are good enough defensively and in goal to hang in there with Portland. It'll be an interesting battle.

Hordichuk_24

People forgetting that Seattle was up 3-0 against Kelowna last year before Kelowna came back and won in 7. Might be closer than many expect but think that Kelowna will prevail

I haven't forgot that. And ever since Seattle acquired Kozun they are a much improved team. He gives them a legitimate chance. I just think Kelowna is the more rounded team. Although the injury to Myles Bell could be significant. I haven't heard any update recently. Anyway I'm definitely cheering for Seattle. I hope they can pull it off.

JimmyJet

Mar 31, 2014
Predictions

Edmonton over Brandon in 4
Medicine Hat over Kootenay in 6
Portland over Victoria in 5
Kelowna over Seattle in 6

Maddog

Dec 17, 2008
Last year it took number one seeded Kelowna seven games to beat the eight seeded team. Expect the same this year and maybe a different outcome. Thunderbirds are hot when they are hot but are very terrible when they are not. Only advantage Kelowna has is is not to take Seattle lightly.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Edmonton/Brandon
Oil Kings in 5. Brandon will steal one methinks, but the OK's overpower them.

Kootenay/Medicine Hat
Ice in 7. Hard fought battle.

Kelowna/Seattle
Rockets in 6. Seattle will battle, but the Rockets will prove a little too much.

Portland/Victoria
Royals in 7. Going with an upset here. Royals stun the Cheaterhawks to move on to the West Final.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad