2014 WHL Tie Break and Playoff discussion

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Rough Game 1 for the Royals, 8-2 loss to the Hawks.

Victoria lost their composure completely after the 5-1 goal. Magee got tossed after a stupid two hand slash and then chirped the ref for a good minute, then Kanzig initiates a line brawl.

Just a bad game in general for the Royals.

Hordichuk_24

That's what Portland does. They agitate a lot, trash talk a ton and draw a bunch of penalties. Some of them warranted others not so much if you catch my drift. Then of course they score on the PP. They don't mind running up the score either. I hate the way they play but unfortunately it works for them.

alcoraces

Jun 1, 2008
Kootenay keeps winning. 2400 fans in the building tonight. And Cranbrook is supposed to be such a great hockey town.

Get em outta there! Why did Chilliwack lose the Bruins again????

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Portland and Kelowna will meet in the West Final. Really hoping the Rockets can beat the Winterhawks.

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
From a Royals fans perspective, what a brutal way to end the season.

Seeing Hicketts getting knocked out, all because of Magee and Hodges being idiots. Embarassing to say the least.

Mind you Petan needs to stop diving and playing like a you know what.

Hordichuk_24

Mind you Petan needs to stop diving and playing like a you know what.

The entire Portland team is build like that. Petan isn't even their worst offender.

Anyway nobody should be surprised by the result. It was almost a given Portland and Kelowna would meet up since the start of the season. While I dislike both teams I would prefer to see Kelowna advance as painful as that is to say. But I have a gut feeling it'll be Portland. I just hope the Rockets can test Burke. He is their weak link.

Hordichuk_24

Eastern Conference:

4. Medicine Hat Tigers vs 1. Edmonton Oil Kings
Oil Kings in 5. Medicine Hat has surprised me and I'm probably underestimating them. That said I really can't see them beating Edmonton in a seven game series. Maybe they can squeeze out two wins but I have a feeling this series won't be very long. Edmonton isn't as strong as previous years but they are good enough to return to the league finals once again.

Western Conference:

2. Portland Winterhawks vs 1. Kelowna Rockets
Winterhawks in 6. I don't like either team but it's easy to root for the Rockets in this series. Part of me thinks this series goes the distance but the other part of me just has a gut feeling Portland wins and we'll have another Portland and Edmonton league final. I just hope the Rockets are able to test Burke. He hasn't had to be a difference maker so far and he is the one weak link on the Hawks.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Oil Kings/Tigers - Oil Kings in 6. Tigers take two to make it a fight but the OK's end up being too much

Rockets/Winterhawks - Rockets in 7. **** Portland.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
OMG that Kelowna-Portland game...

Definitely game of the night, puts the NHL to shame.

alcoraces

Jun 1, 2008
Oh I could not agree more! So glad that Sportsnet covered that game last night. Now THAT was playoff hockey at its finest! Can't wait for Game #2. It's 3 hours away but I almost feel like going there for the game tonight. Such good hockey!

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Love that Rockets-Hawks series.

Both teams had the "we're going to start strong and blow you out" attitudes going in alternating games and though they would run away with the game like they typically do against inferior teams, but then the other team reminded them that it wasn't going to be so easy. It's going 7.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
How good is this kid Merkley for Kelowna, I hadn't really noticed him before but man he has got some serious wheels, he is gonna be a high pick for sure.

alcoraces

Jun 1, 2008
How good is this kid Merkley for Kelowna, I hadn't really noticed him before but man he has got some serious wheels, he is gonna be a high pick for sure.

Still has another year to grow too.

I am liking what I see out of Madison Bowey as well. Looking good for the future with the Caps.

Wish the game was on last night. This is one tough series going on between these 2 great teams!

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010

That line with Tvrdon Chartier and Merkley has been unbelievable.

Reinhart has had quite the playoffs for the Oil King.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad