Pre-Game Talk: 2014 Training Camp (Starts 9/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
What I'd like to see, assuming all players continue the play they've shown in the first two preseason games:

Zuccarello - Brassard - Nash
Kreider - Stepan - Kristo
Duclair - Miller - St. Louis
Hrivik - Moore - Stempniak

I loved Zucc - Brass - Pou last season. I think replacing Pou with Nash makes that line elite.

Where's Hagelin?

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
Interesting stuff how things could work out with the forwards... Curious to see who the 13 forwards will be in the end.

As with the defense, it really seems no one at this training camp is even close to cracking the top 6 of McD, G, Staal, Boyle, KK and JMoore. As a previous poster mentioned, #7 will have little relevance as he will only fill in on an emergency basis, not if any of the top 6 are injured for a longer period. Kaempfer/Hunwick/or maybe Kostka if he turns it around 180 degrees. The young guns should get top minutes in the AHL.

In goal, there was never any doubt how it will play out, but I was super happy to see Desjardins play so well vs. Chicago. A bit scrambly (it is pre-season), but FINALLY a solid good 3rd string / top AHL goalie. As a Wolfpack viewer and supporter, having had to go through Missiaen, Scott Stajcer and Jeff Malcolm was BRUTAL. Good on the Rangers for addressing this F up they had last season (also, thanks Biron for that).

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
Zuccarello - Brassard - Nash
Kreider - Stepan - Kristo
Duclair - Miller - St. Louis
Hrivik - Moore - Stempniak

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Moore - Klein
(any 7th not including Allen or McI)

Lol what? No.
1. Where's Hagelin
2. Kristo will not make the team
3. Hrivik will not make the team
4. Zucc doesn't need to be on LW

Kreider Stepan MSL
Duclair miller Nash
Hagelin brass Zucc
Malone Moore Stempniak
Glass

Lombardi will make the team while Stepan is out.. That's just my 2 cents but I definitely don't see kristo cracking this line up and hrivik isn't beating out fast Lindberg Malone glass for that last spot.

hockey365

Apr 6, 2012
North of MTL
Anyone got inside info on the "real" line-up for tomorrow's game? If I follow AV's logic, it's Team A's turn right? .... with some additions.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I would think at this point he'd start mixing and matching with team A and B. For the first game I don't think we'll see much guys with locked spots instead we'll probably see guys who are on the bubble.

Agreed.

I expect to see a lot of prospects against Philly.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
i hope they give Bodie a game.
Tuesday, on the ice where he would Captain'd the NCAA champs last spring, against his ex-teammate Gostisbehere, would be interesting. But obviously obviously not stuff that NHL coaches should be considering.
I don't expect him to make the team out of camp, but NO ONE has looked too good yet for the 7th spot. And the kid has great instincts and playmaking ability.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Bodie is way too small. Seriously, the man is a twig. 6'0" 165 lbs at age 24 is very underweight. At this point, I'm not sure if he's even capable of gaining weight.

I could very well be wrong, but it seems like he just doesn't have a NHL frame. Maybe a year with a pro training staff could help him, but he's running out of time.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Bodie is way too small. Seriously, the man is a twig. 6'0" 165 lbs at age 24 is very underweight. At this point, I'm not sure if he's even capable of gaining weight.

I could very well be wrong, but it seems like he just doesn't have a NHL frame. Maybe a year with a pro training staff could help him, but he's running out of time.

60 is too old to gain muscle. 40 is when it gets more difficult. At 24, you gain muscle like a gangsta if you go to the gym and work out properly. Sure, at 18 you are getting bigger by doing nothing just because you are turning into a man, which no longer happens at 24. But you can gain like a beast at 24 if you work hard.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
60 is too old to gain muscle. 40 is when it gets more difficult. At 24, you gain muscle like a gangsta if you go to the gym and work out properly. Sure, at 18 you are getting bigger by doing nothing just because you are turning into a man, which no longer happens at 24. But you can gain like a beast at 24 if you work hard.

He was at college for 4 years, and is still rail thin. College is known for its lighter schedule and heavier weight training routine. He probably would have already put on the weight if he was capable. He might just be a hardgainer.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
He was at college for 4 years, and is still rail thin. College is known for its lighter schedule and heavier weight training routine. He probably would have already put on the weight if he was capable. He might just be a hardgainer.

He may also be someone who first enjoy working out and skipped on it in college, particularly after he failed to get drafted. That said, the Rangers should definitely run testosterone checks to see if someone is a hard gainer before signing them.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
After taking part in group 1 practice, McIlrath and Bodie are also taking part with group 2... Guess they wont play tomorrow. Source Blueshirt Utd.

AHB*

You must have missed the Petr Prucha era.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
After taking part in group 1 practice, McIlrath and Bodie are also taking part with group 2... Guess they wont play tomorrow. Source Blueshirt Utd.
Saw that McCarthy and Noreau were back up from Hartford. They might get a look in one of these Philly games. Probably a mix of both groups for both games.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
:*Kevin Hayes is skating today on the wing with Chris Mueller in the middle and Anthony Duclair on the other side. (Gross)

The other lines at the skate are (Gross):

Chris Kreider, Derick Brassard, Mats Zuccarello. Marek Hrivik, Matthew Lombardi and Jesper Fast

The defense pairs working together are Marc Staal and Dan Boyle, Mat Bodie and Dylan McIlrath, Matt Hunwick and Michael Kostka, Ryan McDonagh and Steven Kampfer

Rick Nash- JT Miller- MSL is the other line

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Seems odd to put Duclair on such a weak line after his showing last game. You'd think they'd want to keep him with big boys and see if he can replicate that success.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
:*Kevin Hayes is skating today on the wing with Chris Mueller in the middle and Anthony Duclair on the other side. (Gross)

TBH, I would be glad if this signaled the end of the Hayes at center experiment. Not only is he more comfortable and more experienced on the wing, he'll also have more opportunity there as well. Between Stepan, Brassard, Miller and Lindberg will likely be our 4 centers for a while, and we also have Nieves and others as prospects.

At RW, MSL will leave sooner rather than later, and even Nash has only 3 seasons beyond this one, meaning his contract will be up just as Hayes is hitting his prime. Three of MZA, Hayes, Fast and Haggerty would be at least a solid top-9 group RW bunch. Hayes is just better off on the RW.

Wolfy*

A line at practice today I've been waiting to see...Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello.

Looks dangerous, I believe it can be one of our two top lines this season :nod:

AHB*

A line at practice today I've been waiting to see...Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello.

Looks dangerous, I believe it can be one of our two top lines this season :nod:

Was that the regular line for practice or just for the PP? I've been hoping we would see that or Nash moved to LW on that line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad