League News: 2014 Off-season Around the League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
And the Penguin slurpfest by Pierre McGuire is out in full force.

Pierre: After a rough start, Fluery is doing everything he can to keep the Penguins it. He really is.

Kenny Albert: Well, he's given up a goal on the only shot he's faced this period.

LOL.
Did that even count as a shot though? The initial shot was clearly wide of the net. Not exactly sure how they score those type of deflections.

On Cooke: Not to defend him too much, but the Av player did it to himself. Cook was set in position for the hit way before contact, and the Av player pretty much dived out of the way leaving himself exposed. Take the hit and nothing happens.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
CBC is making sure to blame every European possible for the Lightnings problems.

And Healy just praised Stamkos for a pass to the point.

Last edited:

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
They are ****ing getting ridiculous. Stamkos skates into a wall of Canadiens in front of the net, literally is not a scoring chance what so ever, but Healy praises him and then bashes Lindback for a damn well placed shot.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Really... Stamkos takes a hooking penalty, then goes back and punches the guy after the whistle and doesn't get called.

Also on the goal highlights, apparently they decided to add ads for GCL, even for people with GCL already...

Last edited:

ryan519*

i feel like stamkos never gets criticized for anything. he apparently has some amazing backchecking and defensive abilities that ive never personally seen

even after tampa bay most likely gets swept im sure hardly any blame or negativity will be said about stamkos's performance like the media and fans would for ovechkin while tearing him apart

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
i feel like stamkos never gets criticized for anything. he apparently has some amazing backchecking and defensive abilities that ive never personally seen

even after tampa bay most likely gets swept im sure hardly any blame or negativity will be said about stamkos's performance like the media and fans would for ovechkin while tearing him apart

Stamkos is a better overall player than Ovechkin because his on ice shooting percentages is one of the highest in the NHL...

Hes had 2 seasons with nearly identical GA/20, but when he was on the ice in both his team scored on 12% of the shots where as Ovechkins was 5.74%...

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Better than Ovechkin swept.

People don't care whether a goal is correct just that it was 2 minutes from OT(like that made any difference, its the playoffs) in a tie game. The guy ignored the puck and yanked the guys legs out so he couldn't get the puck out of the zone.

ryan519*

Stamkos is a better overall player than Ovechkin because his on ice shooting percentages is one of the highest in the NHL...

Hes had 2 seasons with nearly identical GA/20, but when he was on the ice in both his team scored on 12% of the shots where as Ovechkins was 5.74%...

im not debating who the better player is... im wondering why he never gets any negativity on his game when he hardly plays any more defense than ovie. in fact, both of their games are pretty similar

tampa just got swept but it had nothing to do with stamkos being a no-show in games 2-4 right

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
maxpaciorettyp.k.subban_4244-430x298.jpg

Pic looks shopped into a trollface. haslkdfjaslkd

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Tampa got no breaks that series. Calls went against them. Sticks broke at inopportune times. Goal waived off. And their goalies not playing all that great.

Karmic retribution for 2010-11 when they get ALL the breaks.

I love how every game Craig Simpson took the opportunity to bash Ovechkin/praise Stamkos.

At one point here is what Simpson said (Paraphrased)

"...blah blah blah..(montreal defender/Carey Price) just stopped Stamkos who is the best goal scorer in the planet beyond a shadow of a doubt! Don't talk to me about Ovechkin...he doesn't play a 200ft game"

Now...I thought of that...what is Simpson talking about here?? He suggests Stamkos is the best goal scorer (argument could be made despite Ovie being a 2 time reigning Richard winner) but then supports his argument by saying "because Stamkos plays better D!"

In every game he reinforced this by saying Stamkos was the best goal scorer on the planet.

I learned Simpson is a Candian mediot for sure. But then I remembered this:

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2013/03/13/cbc-analyst-craig-simpson-the-caps-need-to-clean-house-toxic-alex-ovechkin-should-be-bought-out/

Seems like Simpson is bitter that the Ovie-log didn't flush down the toilet.

Hockey Night always takes the opportunity to bash Ovechkin and pretty much any Russian player. Canadians seem very insecure about this subject and it goes for guys like Esposito too who always took shots at Russian players on XM.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Tampa got no breaks that series. Calls went against them. Sticks broke at inopportune times. Goal waived off. And their goalies not playing all that great.

Karmic retribution for 2010-11 when they get ALL the breaks.

I love how every game Craig Simpson took the opportunity to bash Ovechkin/praise Stamkos.

At one point here is what Simpson said (Paraphrased)

"...blah blah blah..(montreal defender/Carey Price) just stopped Stamkos who is the best goal scorer in the planet beyond a shadow of a doubt! Don't talk to me about Ovechkin...he doesn't play a 200ft game"

Now...I thought of that...what is Simpson talking about here?? He suggests Stamkos is the best goal scorer (argument could be made despite Ovie being a 2 time reigning Richard winner) but then supports his argument by saying "because Stamkos plays better D!"

In every game he reinforced this by saying Stamkos was the best goal scorer on the planet.

I learned Simpson is a Candian mediot for sure. But then I remembered this:

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2013/03/13/cbc-analyst-craig-simpson-the-caps-need-to-clean-house-toxic-alex-ovechkin-should-be-bought-out/

Seems like Simpson is bitter that the Ovie-log didn't flush down the toilet.

Hockey Night always takes the opportunity to bash Ovechkin and pretty much any Russian player. Canadians seem very insecure about this subject and it goes for guys like Esposito too who always took shots at Russian players on XM.

Back when Bure came into the league, Grapes took every opportunity to bash him. In fact, on some nights I though Bure's nickname was the "Little Flea". I don't expect the Euro bashing to stop, especially with CBC. As for the Tampa/Montreal series, this was a very boring playoff series. Perhaps, it is the Hugson/Simpson team. I have enjoyed most of the Western games and the Boston/Detroit series though.

Kegger

Apr 23, 2002
Texas
Is it just me, or is anyone else enjoying watching Eakin on one of the more entertaining shut-down lines, or Varly looking like a stud. Or how about MP setting up on the halfwall on the Ducks PP....

How McPhee is still around, is beyond me...

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Is it just me, or is anyone else enjoying watching Eakin on one of the more entertaining shut-down lines, or Varly looking like a stud. Or how about MP setting up on the halfwall on the Ducks PP....

How McPhee is still around, is beyond me...

The only thing worse than his ability to build a defense is his pro scouting.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Back when Bure came into the league, Grapes took every opportunity to bash him. In fact, on some nights I though Bure's nickname was the "Little Flea". I don't expect the Euro bashing to stop, especially with CBC. As for the Tampa/Montreal series, this was a very boring playoff series. Perhaps, it is the Hugson/Simpson team. I have enjoyed most of the Western games and the Boston/Detroit series though.

They definitely seem to pander to the canadien viewers but to me that shows the thirst the viewership has for this stuff. Talk about inferiority complex.

I thought Tampa/Montreal was pretty good actually! I agree on most of the games in the West.

Boston/Detroit tho...talk about a boring trapfest. Not my kind of hockey personally. Boston is really really good at trapping tho. Have to give them credit there. They are the new Devils. Intimidating physical dman, strong goalie, scoring depth, stringent trapping system, selke caliber shutdown guy (Bergeron vs prime Madden)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad