2014 Non-Wild Playoff Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
They're all ABC, but it's not an apples to apples situation since ESPN doesn't need to established. It's not a dumb move by NBC and honestly people should shut up about it.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
It's not NBCSN we really care about getting established when it comes to Cup Final games. This is the only time hockey is broadcast on flagship NBC game after game. Having all 7 games on NBC would help the NHL get better established and I think that would work better to get people interested in the NHL and by extension NBCSN than forcing people to have a cable provider to watch games 3 and 4.

I certainly understand it from NBC's point of view. They want to take NHL fans and force them to get cable to watch what usually is the best hockey of the year. It's just we don't give a damn about NBC. We want to see the game grow, and having all games on NBC would do that better than splitting it.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
According to you it would do it, but NBC doesn't care about how much the game grows on one network and i'm sorry but if having 2 out of 7 games on another network is so taxing on people to watch, they likely aren't going to stick around and help "grow the game" anyway.
If you want to watch, you'll find a way to watch. The game can grow just fine being split. All this is, is hockey fans finding something new to whine about.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
That's the whole point. People shouldn't have to "find a way" to watch. They should be able to just watch. The people we need to get interested to grow the game are not current hockey fans, they're casual sports fans who see a game on TV and switch to it. It's easiest for those people to find the game if all 7 finals games are on NBC. Of course hockey fans are going to find a way to watch. But what we need are non-hockey fans to get interested in the game and decide "hey this is cool, I might watch a few games next year and check it out more". The chance of that happening is reduced with the series being split between a flagship OTA network and a Cable TV network that is still somewhat obscure.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
When it's 2 games, I don't think it's as big a deal as you think it is. Also, most casual people don't stick to watching a game because it's on TV. Hockey is one of the worst sports to become hooked on through TV. Fans become fans by going to games, not through TV IMO.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
When it's 2 games, I don't think it's as big a deal as you think it is. Also, most casual people don't stick to watching a game because it's on TV. Hockey is one of the worst sports to become hooked on through TV. Fans become fans by going to games, not through TV IMO.

After getting people down here to watch games with me, you are completely right. Through tv it took people 5, 10, 15 games just to grasp the game and actually start to enjoy. But it doesn't really come together until you see it in person.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
I'm annoyed at something I've noticed done by both these teams. They make no effort to stop a puck shot up the wall. It's like they are purposely playing out of position in certain situations. It really limits your offense when your team can't keep the puck in.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Total non-sequitur here, because I just noticed it on the NBC intermission montage, but it really irks me that the Kings drop streamers after every home playoff win. It's like...talk about tacky. Show some restraint!

OK, exit cynical nitpick mode.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Is is one of the most insane overtimes I have ever witnessed.

Thank god I'm not a fan of either the Kings or Rangers at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad