2014 Non-Wild Playoff Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Sorry if I offended. The bolded is kinda what I and others are poking fun at. Not that hockey can't survive in warm areas, but that it becomes cool in May and/or June. Anybody who is a passionate fan year round gets a little peeved when their hobby becomes the hip thing for a hot minute.

No worries, not offended. Just a little generalized rant. Hockey is growing out here and I'm happy about that.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
The Wild vs The Kings would have been an incredible series.

And if we'd managed to get past them, we'd be curbstomping the rags as well. Additionally we would have had home ice.

If the series ends on wed. I can finally take this blasted avatar off and get back to my regularly scheduled Karkat.

The Enemy Within

Holl at .6 seconds
Feb 25, 2014
West of the SOH
The Wild vs The Kings would have been an incredible series.

And if we'd managed to get past them, we'd be curbstomping the rags as well. Additionally we would have had home ice.

If the series ends on wed. I can finally take this blasted avatar off and get back to my regularly scheduled Karkat.

I didn't realize how long you would have to keep that avatar. Definitely hurts my eyes everytime I see it. lol Sorry man. I really hope the series doesn't end tonight.. Hate to see a sweep in the Stanley Cup Final.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I'm okay with it ending for reasons beyond this abomination of an avatar.

Game 3 was not very entertaining.

The Enemy Within

Holl at .6 seconds
Feb 25, 2014
West of the SOH
I'm okay with it ending for reasons beyond this abomination of an avatar.

Game 3 was not very entertaining.

No it was not. That is for sure. I just think it would be horrible to have the series end and have the cup presentation on NBC sports network.. To not even have the possible clenching game on the main network is just crazy.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
No it was not. That is for sure. I just think it would be horrible to have the series end and have the cup presentation on NBC sports network.. To not even have the possible clenching game on the main network is just crazy.

The fact that this entire series isn't on the main network is a joke. God forbid the NHL interrupt their prime time TV schedule. If the NHL really wants to grow the sport and maybe grab some new fans during the Final you think that TV contract would come with a condition that the NHL gets the prime time slot during the Final.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
The fact that this entire series isn't on the main network is a joke. God forbid the NHL interrupt their prime time TV schedule. If the NHL really wants to grow the sport and maybe grab some new fans during the Final you think that TV contract would come with a condition that the NHL gets the prime time slot during the Final.

The NHL was looking at revenue. The amount of money NBC paid for the US TV rights seemed to imply that they would be giving the NHL a ton of exposure, and in the first year or two of the deal it seemed like they were headed in that direction. Having games 3 and 4 on NBCSN probably didn't bother the NHL at that point.

Now however I agree with you. The NHL needs to man up especially during the playoffs and advertize the hell out of the games, and for the love of pete put more games on NBC, especially in prime time on the weekends instead of this 12 noon **** they love since they don't have to pre-empt their affiliates afternoon infomercials and saturday night filler.

Part of the reason games 3 and 4 are on NBCSN is because NBC still wants to put pressure on cable providers to carry NBCSN, and to get viewers to subscribe to cable. It's literally fan punishment for the sake of the almighty dollar.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

It's not just NBC. Before that, it used to be first 2 games on ESPN (which usually shoved it back to ESPN2), rest on ABC.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I'm honestly interested to know how Fox Sports would have treated the NHL had they won the rights.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
They would've brought back that glowing monstrosity. Ugggghhhh, that Foxtrax puck makes me wanna hurl.

Like it or not you have to admire their attempt to make the game more followable to casual viewers in the age of SDTV.

Plus, technology like that could one day be used to determine if the puck went into the net once they can get that technology accurate down to the millimeter.

The Enemy Within

Holl at .6 seconds
Feb 25, 2014
West of the SOH
They would've brought back that glowing monstrosity. Ugggghhhh, that Foxtrax puck makes me wanna hurl.

I've only seen the glowing puck in youtube videos.. Definitely looks like something I wouldn't have liked. But then I also don't like advertising on the ice or on the boards that isn't actually there. Whatever is really there, that is what I want to see. This is only different when it comes to football because I consider the first down line to be very helpful when watching replays or live.

And I feel like no matter what in the end you want to have the viewers. To put the game on a secondary channel instead of a main cable channel you are losing soe viewers. That is just the way it is. You aren't going to catch all of the casual viewers that might happen upon the channel and that is just sad.. You have to sell your product and I feel they are doing a bad job of that.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I've only seen the glowing puck in youtube videos.. Definitely looks like something I wouldn't have liked. But then I also don't like advertising on the ice or on the boards that isn't actually there. Whatever is really there, that is what I want to see. This is only different when it comes to football because I consider the first down line to be very helpful when watching replays or live.

And I feel like no matter what in the end you want to have the viewers. To put the game on a secondary channel instead of a main cable channel you are losing soe viewers. That is just the way it is. You aren't going to catch all of the casual viewers that might happen upon the channel and that is just sad.. You have to sell your product and I feel they are doing a bad job of that.

The only ads that are on TV that aren't in the arena are the ads on the glass.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
To be fair, that's what everyone said about the Sharks and Kings after the Sharks went up 3-0, outscoring the Kings 17-8 along the way.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
It feels like you've had that avatar for months. I was looking forward to it being gone tonight but....it lives another day

I was going to change it the moment LA won tonight, but that didn't happen. Thanks a lot, Lundqvist :shakehead

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
LAK moving the puck is something I want Yeo to recognise. That's how you build chemistry.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
The NHL was looking at revenue. The amount of money NBC paid for the US TV rights seemed to imply that they would be giving the NHL a ton of exposure, and in the first year or two of the deal it seemed like they were headed in that direction. Having games 3 and 4 on NBCSN probably didn't bother the NHL at that point.

Now however I agree with you. The NHL needs to man up especially during the playoffs and advertize the hell out of the games, and for the love of pete put more games on NBC, especially in prime time on the weekends instead of this 12 noon **** they love since they don't have to pre-empt their affiliates afternoon infomercials and saturday night filler.

Part of the reason games 3 and 4 are on NBCSN is because NBC still wants to put pressure on cable providers to carry NBCSN, and to get viewers to subscribe to cable. It's literally fan punishment for the sake of the almighty dollar.

I was curious and took a look to see what was airing on NBC. They had a dateline episode documenting the OJ Simpson trial. I understand it's in the contract to show two games on NBCSN and they want cable subscriptions but basically the NHL is being bumped to document a trial that took place what...20 years ago? Ridiculous

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
For comparison, does anyone know if all 7 games of the NBA finals air on ABC or if some of them are on ESPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad