2014 Non-Wild Playoff Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Discuss all playoff action not involving the Wild here!

Edit.

Boston-Detroit
Tampa Bay-Montréal
Pittsburgh-Columbus
New York - Philadelphia

SJ - LA
St. Louis - Chicago
Colorado - Minnesota
Anaheim - Dallas

Last edited by a moderator:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
That's how the new system works.

It's a slight improvement on the old system. More divisional series is a good thing. Rivalries drive this league.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Yeah, the problem isn't so much the format but the fact that the East is comically weak this year.

As far as matchups go... I mean, really, Rangers-Flyers is fine, as is Boston-Detroit. The only disappointing ones are MTL-TB and PIT-CBJ. But really, any matchup involving CBJ is going to be disappointing because they just haven't had a chance to develop any real rivals yet. So that just leaves MTL-TB as an avoidable disappointment. Yeah it's kinda sucky but I totally get why those guys are in the same division (namely, to boost TB's regular season ticket sales).

Wild Caniac

@WildCaniac
Jan 23, 2013
NC
PIT vs CBJ is going to be a bloodbath. The cities are not very far apart, and now that they are divisional opponents, Penguins fans are EVEN MORE inclined to travel a couple hours to Columbus to see their Penguins. Will not miss a game in that series.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
PIT vs CBJ has the potential to become PIT vs NYI from last year. One team determined to win the Stanley Cup with a shaky playoff goaltender, vs an underdog team with rabid fans just happy to be in the postseason, who could put up a huge fight against the big name team and possibly knock em out.

If it ends up anything like that Isles series, it should be very fun to watch. :nod:

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Boston vs. Detroit and Anaheim vs. Dallas don't excite me, others look like fun.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Boston vs. Detroit and Anaheim vs. Dallas don't excite me, others look like fun.

Detroit doesn't seem to go down easy in the playoffs. Offense vs defense in that series, which has the makings for a good one.

Anaheim fans are openly afraid of playing Dallas. I'm actually looking forward to this one the most (besides ours I think). Maybe LA/San Jose a little bit more.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It has to be uniform. You don't want the East starting their conference finals at the same time the West is starting the semifinals. Then all of a sudden the East champs are waiting a week and a half for the finals to start, while the West is still playing.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
It has to be uniform. You don't want the East starting their conference finals at the same time the West is starting the semifinals. Then all of a sudden the East champs are waiting a week and a half for the finals to start, while the West is still playing.

Basketball does it. That's why I was wondering if they changed it.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Basketball is bad and should feel bad

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Just going to throw this out there...the reason that Peel and Lee (and anyone else you might call out) are notorious/infamous is not necessarily that they are worse at their jobs than any other officials, but that they get more attention for their mistakes.

It's possible that they actually are bad. But it's far more likely that they are, on average, slightly better than other officials, so they get more critical/high-profile game assignments, and because of this their mistakes get blown way out of proportion.

My point is this: Ref A makes 2 mistakes in a Pens-Rangers playoff game on national television. Ref B makes 5 mistakes in an un-televised Coyotes-Panthers exhibition game. Objectively, Ref A is a much better ref than Ref B. But subjectively, the court of public opinion will assume Ref A is horrible because they remember two mistakes.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Damn, why did I have to get the new FIFA World Cup game the day before the NHL playoffs start?!

So conflicted on what to do tonight :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2