GDT: 2014 NHL Trade Deadline Day (FINISHED) - Pens only, Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nfumass

Oct 2, 2004
Ma
I am confident that our team as currently constructed and coached by DB will fall on its face like ususal. This is a good thing though as hopefully it will get DB fired and Sid's career will no longer be being ruined.

This, were not winning the cup this year so hopefully we get smoked in the 1st round and DB gets canned and maybe Shero too.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
Well we swung out on the big fish, but the way I see it nobody other than Kesler was going to help us in the long-term anyhow. So, we bolstered the 3rd line instead. Can Sutter play the left side? Our playoff lineup presumably looks something like this:

Kunitz - Crosby - Bennett
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Sutter - Goc - Stempniak
Adams - Vitale - Glass

Niskanen - Scuderi
Martin - Orpik
Maatta - Bort/Engo

Fleury
Zatkoff

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 28s
Deal is: Habs trade RW Sebastien Collberg and a conditional 2nd RD pick to Isles for Vanek

exciting prospect but perhaps undersized.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Collberg is the prospect. He's actually petty good so my anger at Shero is lessened

Damn good prospect.

I just don't see what others see in Vanek. He's a guy who should be twice as good as he actually is.

edit: Conditional 2nd, probably becomes a 1st if the Habs make it to a certain point of the playoffs or re-sign him.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
If Goc is the only move. That pushes Kobasew off the starting roster hopefully. Remaining positive. Would like to confirm Stempniak so it pushes Pyatt down the depth chart.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Let's be honest here. Very few people called us contenders no matter what we did. Now everyone is down that we did nothing?

I fully understand people that didn't want them to make a big splash like Kesler or Vanek or whomever. My problem is they could've had a bunch of small irons in the fire to bolster the lineup if those moves didn't happen. Goc and a couple other plug in forwards would make a world of difference. We would have a complete freaking roster at least.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Remember when people said drafting tons of defenseman was a good idea because those guys could be flipped for wingers later? Or at the very least, the older defenseman could be shipped out for a similar return?

Yeah, good times.
Hey man, Shero flipped Morrow for Morrow last year. One of the best deals of all time.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Vanek - Crosby - Bennett
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

Could theoretically work, but once again, we'd be changing our system to make this happen, and changing our lines, and DB won't take Kunitz off Sid's wing. And Vanek is slow as dirt, and they probably don't feel he can keep up with Sid.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
I'm not saying trade Pouliot for Adams. I'm saying if a kid who is several years away from even sniffing NHL time (remember the Bylsma effect as well) is the difference in Shero's decision to pull the trigger, he's a moron. Kesler helps now, AND for the foreseeable future. Anywhere you put him; at 3C, at RW on Sid's line, etc.

Again, I am not advocating throwing away Pouliot. What I'm saying is; if Shero decided not to pull the trigger on a deal that was in place to hang on to a prospect who is still a huge question mark, he's even dumber than I figured he was a month ago. :laugh:

Yeah, I hear your points. I'm not sure about how far away Pouliot is; if it's a few years, then I tend to agree with you that to get Kesler, it was worth considering...

Tough call...but -- we really don't know what actually went down in the negotiations, so who knows who/what was offered...

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Ah, so this is the time we just blaming anyone and everyone and predict our first-round loss. Generally just pretend any of us knows anything, really. Good stuff.

Some of us have been predicting this stuff for 3 years in a row.

Man oh man, it's like some people have no clue what they're watching.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I hope Goc is a good fit. he should be able to get signed at half price of what Sutter will ask. and we score enough goals so having a defenive sound 3rd line center is enough tbh. Then we can trade Sutter (RFA) at the draft.

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
Well, Stempniak still is not confirmed, so I won´t get my hopes up. He and Goc would at least have been upgrades for our bottom 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad