Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
What about that LW in Sudbury?

Nathan Pancel has been passed over twice so this is his last shot at getting drafted, but the guy has decent goal totals the last two seasons before blowing up in his 19/20 season (same as Gemel Smith). He's progressed from 23 goals in 60+ games, he scored 26 in 60+ last season, and he has already scored 36 goals this year in just 40 games.

Did he stick out to any of the Canadian posters who get to watch the OHL?

Anhero

Jul 2, 2013
Texas
If we get a pick from 10-15, I hope we can get Ritchie or Roland McKeown.

If we somehow pick any pick lower than that I hope we can grab Jack Glover or Jakub Vrna.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
So another top 10 pick? I think we need the opportunity to draft another impact player.

An elite Dman prospect should be the aim IMO. We can get second line C's elsewhere. I've liked McKeown a lot since the start of the season, but he's dropped down the rankings quite a bit after a fast start. Haydn Fleury looks pretty intriguing to me. Big fast two way Dman. Would be nice if Nill could stock up on some draft picks to give the team an opportunity to move around in the draft.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Mckeowen's drop is inexplicable to me. The guy was the defenceman of the month for December. His game has picked up as the season has gone on.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
McKeown would be so sick to snag. Not sure what Craig Button was thinking when he ranked him out of the 1st round

usefulfiction

Jan 10, 2006
Prosper, TX
So another top 10 pick? I think we need the opportunity to draft another impact player.

An elite Dman prospect should be the aim IMO. We can get second line C's elsewhere. I've liked McKeown a lot since the start of the season, but he's dropped down the rankings quite a bit after a fast start. Haydn Fleury looks pretty intriguing to me. Big fast two way Dman. Would be nice if Nill could stock up on some draft picks to give the team an opportunity to move around in the draft.

problem is that outside of Ekblad, there really isn't a defenseman we could draft who would be able to step in and help immediately.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Still Ritchie for me. The pick is going to be so high there wouldn't be immediate help, however Ritchie is at an age where he should be breaking into the NHL around the same time as Dickinson and Faksa.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
There isn't a Nichushking situation brewing ... we all get that right?

1 to 2 years to get to the AHL ... then 1 to 2 more to the NHL likely.

Zero impact on next year's team. Just checking ...

I don't know that Ritchie should be drafted purely on his age, but yes that is an attractive thing about him that he's probably in the NHL much sooner than some of the guys in this range. You can't have too many big wingers, but I still feel the bigger need is probably defense then center.

Although ... I'm starting to get the feeling that Shore is the guy. Hockey East is one of the best conferences in the NCAA, and as a sophomore he's killing it. A true sophomore.

More than a high scoring offensive D, I agree with Cin I'd like to see a guy that leans towards an all-around guy. As long as they can make a strong first pass, and many of Dallas' current prospects seem to have that ability, I think forwards are skilled enough to carry the scoring load going forward. They really need another Dillon though ... hopefully one better so that Dillon can be an above average anchor on the 2nd pair moving forward.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
More than a high scoring offensive D, I agree with Cin I'd like to see a guy that leans towards an all-around guy. As long as they can make a strong first pass, and many of Dallas' current prospects seem to have that ability, I think forwards are skilled enough to carry the scoring load going forward. They really need another Dillon though ... hopefully one better so that Dillon can be an above average anchor on the 2nd pair moving forward.

All of this for D.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
There isn't a Nichushking situation brewing ... we all get that right?

1 to 2 years to get to the AHL ... then 1 to 2 more to the NHL likely.

Zero impact on next year's team. Just checking ...

I don't know that Ritchie should be drafted purely on his age, but yes that is an attractive thing about him that he's probably in the NHL much sooner than some of the guys in this range. You can't have too many big wingers, but I still feel the bigger need is probably defense then center.

Although ... I'm starting to get the feeling that Shore is the guy. Hockey East is one of the best conferences in the NCAA, and as a sophomore he's killing it. A true sophomore.

Well you can't be sure. Its a long shot for sure but guys drafted later have had immediate impacts. Maybe we find a Ryan O'Reilly in the draft.

Good centers and top d are definitely harder to find than wingers. I like Ritchie but Id he not be the bpa when the Stars are on the board. He is also starting to get a reputation as a guy who just doesnt live up to his skill profile. Of course you could say his brother had the same issue but his brother had a pretty good excuse.

These big physical dmen seem just as hard to project as anyone else it seems. Sometimes you hear about how safe they are to draft but then they end up busting anyway. I guess it is probably because they tend to dominate smaller guys then in the NHL most players are pretty big and mobile.

If we are talking about drafting one of these types I've read good things about Alex Peters from Plymouth. 6'4 over 200 lbs, is said to be pretty physical, and I believe he came in 2nd in the top prospects skating drill recently. 36th in NA rankings recently so he could be a legitimate option in the 2nd round.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Still Ritchie for me. The pick is going to be so high there wouldn't be immediate help, however Ritchie is at an age where he should be breaking into the NHL around the same time as Dickinson and Faksa.

Nick can play LW from what i remember. We could have a line with two Ritchies!

Imagine something like this

Benn - Seguin - Nich
Ritchie - Faksa ( for now ) - Ritchie
someone - Eakin - Chiasson

Maybe Dickinson playing LW on the 3rd line. Pretty sure he's LW/C

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006

Benn - Seguin - Nich

With this past year, I'd imagine Faksa and Eakin are swapped. It's not looking good for Faksa's offensive potential.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Ritchie's good, but not really needed in the organization. I know you aren't supposed to draft for need, but it is clear that you need to draft your top six centres and top pair defencemen.

usefulfiction

Jan 10, 2006
Prosper, TX
So the cap gave birth to longer term contracts which effectively neutered free agency as a team building route. Teams now have to build through the draft and trades. Does the change in team building philosophy have an effect on how teams draft, BPA vs Need?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
So the cap gave birth to longer term contracts which effectively neutered free agency as a team building route. Teams now have to build through the draft and trades. Does the change in team building philosophy have an effect on how teams draft, BPA vs Need?

I'd say most still draft based on their board. Trades are where you can add guys you need.

Dallas has done a good job of drafting and developing wingers, and in some cases they've done a great job (Seguin) to fill needs, and others (Goligoski) not so much.

As long as Dallas keeps adding tradeable assets via the draft, they'll always have assets to flip to fill needs.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Nick can play LW from what i remember. We could have a line with two Ritchies!

Benn - Seguin - Nich

Isn't Devin Shore regarded as a better prospect than Faksa?

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
With this past year, I'd imagine Faksa and Eakin are swapped. It's not looking good for Faksa's offensive potential.

Hard to say when Faksa is ready. When Faksa, Dickinson and a few others are ready, plus maybe a trade or FA signing, I could see us having our first line, followed by 2A and 2B lines

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Isn't Devin Shore regarded as a better prospect than Faksa?

I get the feeling that people who've watched both of them will say Shore is better. For those of us without that luxury, Faksa has a bit more hype, but they're close.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
At this point we really just need to hope that Faksa is one of those guys who is a better NHLer than JR player because otherwise we totally whiffed.

If there was a lot of players picked after who are significantly better that might be true but really I'm seeing only three players I'd rather swap right now, Girgensons, Hertl and Ceci. Everyone else has questions akin to Faksa. Faksa at least is a good enough skater/defender/physical player that he should be a 20-30 point third line center at least.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
If there was a lot of players picked after who are significantly better that might be true but really I'm seeing only three players I'd rather swap right now, Girgensons, Hertl and Ceci. Everyone else has questions akin to Faksa. Faksa at least is a good enough skater/defender/physical player that he should be a 20-30 point third line center at least.

I'd personally add Olli Maata to that list as well. Still very early for Faksa, but after all the hype about him and his story to getting to North America, it'd be a shame if he just ended up as a guy who can't get to the NHL. Fingers crossed.

MetalGodAOD*

He'll get to the NHL in some manner. He's going to be a late bloomer. Again, I'm predicting a Martin Hanzal type player who breaks out in his late 20s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad