Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Aside from the Nuke mention, the other thing Gaglardi mentioned/brought up was his love of Western Canadian guys.

This is a weird year to see most of Dallas' eggs in the OHL basket, and they have so few in the NCAA and especially the WHL. Nill and Detroit have leaned towards the OHL mostly. Sometimes when I look at the scores every weekend, I wonder if this is the new look of the Dallas prospects.

I get the feeling though, that despite he was just talking about the fact the new coach and new GM are "good Western boys", that I can't see Dallas ever really totally changing their identity. They've always been a heavy Western Canadian organization, and Les Jackson and Dennis Holland are still here as well.

Really wasn't that important of a statement, but it did touch on a reoccurring thought I've had.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
He's 24th and rising according to the ISS posted above, but Robby Fabbri is a name a constantly see following the Storm. Last night he went off in a big way with a dramatic hat trick. He scored with 0.2 seconds remaining to force OT, and then he scored the OT winner.

Over the past month, he seems to have been one of Guelph's best players. If his season keeps going this well and Guelph manages a deep playoff run giving him even better exposure, he could be a guy in Dallas' range at the draft.

NFKappaB

Mo Money Mo Problems
Jun 29, 2011
Nova Scotia
What would it take to trade up to Ekblad at the draft? Completely unlikely, but fun to speculate.

Daley (healthy) + Oleksiak + 1st (10-15 range)

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
What would it take to trade up to Ekblad at the draft? Completely unlikely, but fun to speculate.

Daley (healthy) + Oleksiak + 1st (10-15 range)

Probably not enough. I always think it's reasonable to expect the cost to be the equivalent of a 2nd rounder to move up two spots in the Top 10.

You're essentially asking to move from lets just say 14 to 2. I always think it's doubtful a team is going to take market value when they're giving up a potential franchise draft pick.

Daley, Oleksiak, and that 1st to me just don't feel like they even get you in the conversation.

NFKappaB

Mo Money Mo Problems
Jun 29, 2011
Nova Scotia
Probably not enough. I always think it's reasonable to expect the cost to be the equivalent of a 2nd rounder to move up two spots in the Top 10.

You're essentially asking to move from lets just say 14 to 2. I always think it's doubtful a team is going to take market value when they're giving up a potential franchise draft pick.

Daley, Oleksiak, and that 1st to me just don't feel like they even get you in the conversation.

Yah, i'd throw in a few more draft picks to *try* to make it fair, but GMJN 2.0 doesn't seem the type to trade away his picks.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
I was pretty happy to hear that they liked the WHL the most as well. We already knew they kind of preferred it, but to get such a big conformation is great. Can't ever go wrong drafting out of the west.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
A strong organization drafts from everywhere and has scouts that will crosscheck the various territories to compare across leagues. Obviously Gaglardi is a Western Canadian guy but I wouldn't make any more of that than just small talk. I certainly hope the owner isn't dictating draft decisions or strategy, or would even want to.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
A strong organization drafts from everywhere and has scouts that will crosscheck the various territories to compare across leagues. Obviously Gaglardi is a Western Canadian guy but I wouldn't make any more of that than just small talk. I certainly hope the owner isn't dictating draft decisions or strategy, or would even want to.

To me it sounded like he just has a special place in his heart for people from western canada.

Anhero

Jul 2, 2013
Texas
I hope we end up with Nick Ritchie for some reason. I could of swore he was projected a top 5 pick last year. I'm guessing we would have to end up top 8 to get him? We would have to be really horrible down the stretch and I dont see that happening.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

Of course ... but it's impossible to not look at Dallas' drafts with Jackson running the board and even before him and notice that the team leaned heavily on Western Canadian picks.

It's also pretty apparent that Detroit has gone to the OHL more so than other leagues.

It's pretty reasonable and clear IMO that teams tend to have places they lean more toward. If anything, Dallas is probably better off now when you consider the Detroit scouts they've added to Dallas' mix. You have some top notch Western scouts in guys like Holland and Jackson. Then Detroit's guy get add to a guy like Jimmy Johnson who in his own right has done very well for Dallas in the Ontario area. It's probably a very good thing the WHL and OHL are colliding with the new marriage.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I hope we end up with Nick Ritchie for some reason. I could of swore he was projected a top 5 pick last year. I'm guessing we would have to end up top 8 to get him? We would have to be really horrible down the stretch and I dont see that happening.

He was rated pretty highly, and ISS has him 15th right now in Dallas' zone.

He's a LW, and the OHL website already lists him at 235 lbs. IIRC. For once ... Dallas doesn't feel too weak at any one position in prospects, but LW would be up towards the top. It's just ... most guys can play both wings so I'm not exactly concerned. I think if you ignore R vs. L ... and just look at Dallas' wing depth it's pretty impressive. I'd still prefer a center over wing at this point ..... well always honestly.

I admit thought I haven't paid a ton of attention to the prospects yet. I get interested this time of year when the WJC rolls around.

I just know drafting Ritchie would be about getting a damn good prospect rather than taking Brett Ritchie's brother like Dallas did when they drafted Michael Neal.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Here's something on Ritchie:

The Orangeville, Ont., native's bloodline barely needs referencing. Nick's brother, Brett Ritchie, is a Dallas Stars prospect who was a load for OHL defenders over his final two seasons of junior with the Niagara IceDogs. Nick Ritchie presents a similar challenge to opponents; the difference in the siblings' games appear to be minute.

"He's been dominant physically holding off defenders and forcing himself to the net, making it very difficult to defend against him," Petes general manager Mike Oke says. "I can really notice a maturation in his physical abilities. Nick comes in early in the morning for workouts before heading off to school. I think he's really trying to establish those daily habits and the routine of being a pro hockey player. Understanding that you have to put the time in."

Didn't realize he's an overage player. He'd go pro in just 1 year ... like Oleksiak did. He'd get a ton of quality time in the AHL probably though and not play much in the NHL early on if he came to Dallas. He and Dickinson would join Texas at the same time, and they both could end up at wing.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Overage was the wrong term ... meant he's a late birth. He's currently playing his 3rd full OHL season, and next year will be his 4th and final.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Didn't realize he's an overage player. He'd go pro in just 1 year ... like Oleksiak did. He'd get a ton of quality time in the AHL probably though and not play much in the NHL early on if he came to Dallas. He and Dickinson would join Texas at the same time, and they both could end up at wing.

Overage was the wrong term ... meant he's a late birth. He's currently playing his 3rd full OHL season, and next year will be his 4th and final.

That makes me want to draft him even more.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That makes me want to draft him even more.

Unless someone in the Top 10 falls in love with him because of the size/speed combo, he'll likely have less of an opportunity to make an impression on scouts than most in the top part of the first round.

He won't participate in the WJC, he's too old of the U-18 this summer (played in it last year), and the Petes aren't that good of a team meaning they'll likely go out early in the OHL playoffs.

I wouldn't be shocked if guys getting international experience and playing deep in the playoffs win some scouts over.

Point is ... it's probably not too unreasonable to believe he's going to be in the teens rather than Top 10 now.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
As good as it would be to have Ritchie, I don't see him being a necessity for this team whatsoever. I'm going to push for Mckeowen or McCann. #2 centreman and top pairing RHD are our true needs and getting either of those players would really round out our prospect pools nicely.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
As good as it would be to have Ritchie, I don't see him being a necessity for this team whatsoever. I'm going to push for Mckeowen or McCann. #2 centreman and top pairing RHD are our true needs and getting either of those players would really round out our prospect pools nicely.

McKeown seems to be a guy who is dropping down lists this season. His rankings sort of remind me of Ryan Pulocks from last season. In general he has slipped and in some he has slipped very far, even out of the top 30.

McCann seems to be going the opposite direction right now. When I started looking at him he was in the mid to late teens now lists are putting him in the top 10.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
McKeown seems to be a guy who is dropping down lists this season. His rankings sort of remind me of Ryan Pulocks from last season. In general he has slipped and in some he has slipped very far, even out of the top 30.

McCann seems to be going the opposite direction right now. When I started looking at him he was in the mid to late teens now lists are putting him in the top 10.

Don't know how much stock people put into scouting services but this guy Mark Edwards has an interesting thread going.

Couple of very interesting quotes.

Where is Roland McKeown?

Has he fell off the face of the earth?

Fell out of our top 30. He has struggled with decision making. We don't see as much progression in his game as we had hoped. One go my biggest personal surprises of the year so far.

Originally Posted by NaughtyDog
Perlini at 23? ....especially considering you have Ritchie at 5 and McCann at 6

Was waiting for a Perlini comment I don't have much time this morning but I can tell you that I know two NHL teams who have him in the 2nd round. A few more have him around the same area we do. I also know two teams who ( as of about a month ago when I spoke to them) seemed high on him.

In general, NHL scouts I have spoken to have not been kind when speaking about him. One said this to me "He's a player who gets you fired."

Last June people ripped us when we ranked Shinkaruk at 24. If memory serves he was drafted 24th. We just watch the games and call em' as we see them. Shinkaruk didn't help himself at combine interviews.

Lots of hockey to play and Perlini could move up or down our rankings. We don't close the book on players in December. I'm actually seeing him Friday night. I will see him a lot in the 2nd half.

One thing I tried to do was watch him vs good Dmen. ( Ekblad is one example) Perlini was not effective at all.

And a final quote about Ritchie. Go read the whole thread and leave a question if you have one. He's been good about responding and giving good insight.

Although Ritchie can frustrate me at times, he has as much potential as anyone in this draft. He's on an awful team who seems to make everyone look worse.

This kid has a ton of skill and plays big. I have had plenty of conversations about him with NHL guys and not one scout i have spoken to doesn't like him. A couple weeks ago a scout room chat was about where would Ritchie be if he was playing on a better team, or as one scout said "flip Ritchie to Oshawa for Dal Colle and where is he?" I don't personally blame the Petes for everything concerning Ritchie but it plays a factor.

I have seen Ritchie play much more often going back to his minor midget days but IMO, Ritchie has more to offer NHL teams than Perlini does.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Unless someone in the Top 10 falls in love with him because of the size/speed combo, he'll likely have less of an opportunity to make an impression on scouts than most in the top part of the first round.

He won't participate in the WJC, he's too old of the U-18 this summer (played in it last year), and the Petes aren't that good of a team meaning they'll likely go out early in the OHL playoffs.

I wouldn't be shocked if guys getting international experience and playing deep in the playoffs win some scouts over.

Point is ... it's probably not too unreasonable to believe he's going to be in the teens rather than Top 10 now.

I should have probably clarified. The idea that Ritchie would enter the AHL at the same time as Dickinson intrigues me as that means those two and Faksa would roughly be on the same schedule.

While Faksa would be on his 2nd year in the AHL, those two would be breaking in, and the following season we'd have three rookie forwards chopping to make the NHL team.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I should have probably clarified. The idea that Ritchie would enter the AHL at the same time as Dickinson intrigues me as that means those two and Faksa would roughly be on the same schedule.

While Faksa would be on his 2nd year in the AHL, those two would be breaking in, and the following season we'd have three rookie forwards chopping to make the NHL team.

Oh I realized that's what you meant.

I was just giving you some additional reasons he might be available ... saying that he's not an unreasonable target and you might get what you want.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Not sure if this is the best thread for this, feel free to move if there is a better fit...

Anyone have any thoughts on the draft wheel making the rounds today?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-ban-draft-lottery-162726362--nhl.html

Honestly that's pretty dumb.

The draft format needs to be changed, but bad teams do need a path to getting better. The reason Dallas is finally pulling out of their bankruptcy crap is how well Dallas has drafted .... particularly after the 1st round which is atypical.

They do need to tweak the lottery. Sure it can be weighted slightly, but not as much as it is right now. They took a small ... pretty much smallest ... step forward with that last CBA. I'd honestly like to see every lottery spot up for grabs. That way you truly prevent tanking. In some drafts .... there's not a significant difference between 1 and 2 so you aren't really punishing anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad