Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I know people hate this but...imagine if we picked Hertl instead of Faksa (I still like Faksa a lot) and cut the veteran fat of Cole, Whitney and Horcoff. 2014-2015 could have looked like this :cry:

Benn - Seguin - Nichushkin
Ritchie - Hertl - Chiasson
Peverley - Eakin - Sceviour
Roussel - McKenzie - Garbutt

To be honest tho, we could be 1 good 2C away from a similar team next year anyways...so Im still optimistic :yo:

Size and speed, aww yiss

Last edited:

aloonda*

I know people hate this but...imagine if we picked Hertl instead of Faksa (I still like Faksa a lot) and cut the veteran fat of Cole, Whitney and Horcoff. 2014-2015 could have looked like this :cry:

Benn - Seguin - Nichushkin
Ritchie - Hertl - Chiasson
Peverley - Eakin - Sceviour
Roussel - McKenzie - Garbutt

To be honest tho, we could 1 good 2C away from a similar team next year anyways...so Im still optimistic :yo:

Size and speed, aww yiss

those lines look awesome

is benn, goalagainstki, daley, rome still on the back end?

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
What draft picks do we have this year? Surely one of you guys know that off the top of your head.

The only pick acquired or traded that I can remember is we get Calgary's 6th for MacDermid. Is there anything else I'm forgetting?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Probably wishful thinking ... but the Ducks want a RHD ... several teams do ... and they also already have an extra 1st round pick from Ottawa. That could motivate them to let go of their 1st round pick ... probably 25 or better.

I just really doubt Robidas is enough. I wonder if they'd be interested in another Dallas asset.

STL and MIN also have potential high 2nd round picks from Edmonton and Winnipeg they might use to go shopping. I don't really see much STL could use from Dallas. Minnesota might be interested in Robidas.

EDIT: Sharks also have an extra 2nd ... ANA has an extra 2nd because Holland played his 25th game for Toronto yesterday.

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Lot of interesting players who are likely destined for the second round. Some big upside players whom as having "disappointing" seasons. Wouldn't mind if we acquired 3 or 4 second round picks instead of trying to get firsts.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Lot of interesting players who are likely destined for the second round. Some big upside players whom as having "disappointing" seasons. Wouldn't mind if we acquired 3 or 4 second round picks instead of trying to get firsts.

That was kind of the strategy Detroit has been using. Although they generally acquired extra 2nds by trading back or out of the 1st round.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

They'll just use one of the 30-40 picks to draft Elie 2.0 and troll you.

:sarcasm:

I think most of the fans around here seem to hate when Armstrong was constantly trading back. Every other year it was constant complaining about who we didn't take when we chose to slide back.

Detroit does regularly do the same thing ... but that's OK.

If Dallas values picks over prospects ... there is a reasonable shot they could get one or two from Robidas and Whitney ... Ray seems a bit of stretch though because of how the season is going.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
They'll just use one of the 30-40 picks to draft Elie 2.0 and troll you.

:sarcasm:

I think most of the fans around here seem to hate when Armstrong was constantly trading back. Every other year it was constant complaining about who we didn't take when we chose to slide back.

Detroit does regularly do the same thing ... but that's OK.

If Dallas values picks over prospects ... there is a reasonable shot they could get one or two from Robidas and Whitney ... Ray seems a bit of stretch though because of how the season is going.

Detroit was trading back a 20-30th overall pick, not a top 14 or top 10 pick. When we get to a level where we are picking late in the first, I'd be game for trading back.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Your last post was a red herring. Nobody is discussing trading our 1st rounder now so our draft position is irrelevant.

Big G discussed how Detroit (IE Nill) has traded back a bunch, I was pointing out they were trading back much less valuable picks, making the draft position totally relevant.

cmwang

Nov 4, 2011
Typically I'd be fine trading back but with the amount of prospect depth we have now I'd just take BPA where are picks are. In fact, I'd might even be looking to trade up using picks if anything.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Typically I'd be fine trading back but with the amount of prospect depth we have now I'd just take BPA where are picks are. In fact, I'd might even be looking to trade up using picks if anything.

Let's say we finish the season in drafting position 5-7. I would give up quite a bit to get up to #2-3.

Primetimey*

Trading back a 25th-30th 1st rounder to get a 2nd and a 3rd makes sense if you like what is available later.

Trading back a 10th-15th rarely happens and if you are trading back its to move back 5-10 spots at most.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
If you're trying to land Ekblad I think your only hope would be to win the lotto or have Kari blow an o-ring and watch the team out sink the Oilers.

I think you're right about Ekblad, but if the target is DalColle and Florida has the 4th pick that could be doable. They've got centers and need a right wing. If Dallas has a high enough pick perhaps Dallas could send them Goligoski/Daley, Chiasson and our pick for their pick, the 4th overall and Trocheck.

They get the right winger they need plus a defender to replace Kulikov who may be on the way out to fill another hole. Dallas gets two legit top six forwards one of whom Trocheck is close to NHL ready and DalColle can play center or wing and has immense talent.

The only way we're drafting Ekblad is if we amazingly drop far enough or win the lottery. There are still several good centers we could get if we either get lucky or creative and I expect Nill and company to make several moves at the draft, especially if Daley or Goligoski are still here, in addition to a sell off at the deadline.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I don't mean trade our first I mean try to aquire some more seconds.

I knew that's what you meant, and I do agree with you.

The other part was in general people complained about Armstrong moving around so much rather than taking the BPA at that time. I assume the second Nill does it here, it'll be more of the same ... regardless of the fact he did it in Detroit.

That's pretty much what we do here ... complain in hindsight. So no I was going after you Ambassador for talking about trading back.

Re-reading that ... I did make it sound confusing. I was saying that you don't see the hockey world bat an eye really that Detroit was doing the same thing at the same time as Armstrong and they've continued to do it. Basically Armstrong never got the pass Detroit did, and I was even guilty of that with the Fistric pick (passed on Green). I just think Nill would more than likely be received the same way as Armstrong rather than giving him the benefit of the doubt.

The Wings are drafting so low that quantity is way more important because the quality is extremely hit or miss. When Dallas is drafting back in the 20's, that could be a good tactic as well, but you know there's going to be someone mad that we didn't draft player A when they moved back.

In 2003 it was Perry and Eriksson. I believe it happened in Zach Parise's draft year as well. I just remember it being a hot topic when I first started posting here. I will say that, when you look at many of Armstrong's drafts ... and I don't know who was running then ... they were pretty awful. I don't know that moving down the board was the only reason his staff drafted so poorly. There are some rough years though of drafting.

usefulfiction

Jan 10, 2006
Prosper, TX
I knew that's what you meant, and I do agree with you.

The other part was in general people complained about Armstrong moving around so much rather than taking the BPA at that time. I assume the second Nill does it here, it'll be more of the same ... regardless of the fact he did it in Detroit.

That's pretty much what we do here ... complain in hindsight. So no I was going after you Ambassador for talking about trading back.

Re-reading that ... I did make it sound confusing. I was saying that you don't see the hockey world bat an eye really that Detroit was doing the same thing at the same time as Armstrong and they've continued to do it. Basically Armstrong never got the pass Detroit did, and I was even guilty of that with the Fistric pick (passed on Green). I just think Nill would more than likely be received the same way as Armstrong rather than giving him the benefit of the doubt.

The Wings are drafting so low that quantity is way more important because the quality is extremely hit or miss. When Dallas is drafting back in the 20's, that could be a good tactic as well, but you know there's going to be someone mad that we didn't draft player A when they moved back.

In 2003 it was Perry and Eriksson. I believe it happened in Zach Parise's draft year as well. I just remember it being a hot topic when I first started posting here. I will say that, when you look at many of Armstrong's drafts ... and I don't know who was running then ... they were pretty awful. I don't know that moving down the board was the only reason his staff drafted so poorly. There are some rough years though of drafting.

Being perennial contenders didn't hurt Detroit's benefit of the doubt either.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson

You want to know why Army never got a pass like Detroit did? Cause he never once got anything from them. We never got a 2nd round pick outside of 2003. We never got a player that was here more than a couple years. It was a complete nightmare whenever he traded our 1st round pick (or 2nd...though we did get Barnes, but even that was a 2 for 1).

2002, traded 1st to NJ for Arnott/McKay
2006, not 1st but traded 2nd to New York for Niinimaa/5th round
2007, traded 1st to PHX for Nagy
2007, traded 1st to LA for Norstrom/Pushkarev/3rd round/4th round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad