24). D Haydn Fleury, Red Deer (WHL), 6-3, 200
25). LW Matt Mistele, Plymouth (OHL), 6-2, 185
26). RW Austin Poganski, St. Cloud Cathedral (USHS), 6-1, 190
27). RW Nikolay Goldobin, Sarnia (OHL), 6-0, 165
28). RW David Pastrnak, Sodertalje J20 (SuperElit), 5-10, 150
29). D Anthony DeAngelo, Sarnia (OHL), 5-11, 165
30). LW Spencer Watson, Kingston (OHL), 5-10, 160

2014draft.png

The 52nd annual National Hockey League Entry Draft will be on Friday, June 27 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania at 6 PM Central and on Saturday, June 28th at 9 AM Central.

Round 1 will be broadcast on NBCSN, TSN and RDS. Rounds 2 through 7 will be presented on NHL Network.​

2014 DALLAS STARS DRAFT PICKS
1ST ROUND
14th Selection -

2ND ROUND
45th Selection -

3RD ROUND
75th Selection -

4TH ROUND
105th Selection -
115th Selection -

5TH ROUND
135th Selection -

6TH ROUND
154th Selection -
165th Selection -

7TH ROUND
195th Selection -

Last edited by a moderator:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yes ... I know this is ridiculously early, but I didn't know where to put this ....

I don't know if this would even interest you, but from the 2005 draft to present, Detroit has traded ONLY 1 first round pick outright for a player (does not include moving back in the draft which they've done several times).

They've only traded TWO seconds and TWO fourths in that time for players (a 2006 4th was trade for Robert Lang, but that trade happened in 2004 before the lockout).

That's it ....

Obviously Jim Nill isn't going to be a Holland clone, but until he proves otherwise I think it's safe to say he'll hoard picks just like Detroit did while he was there.

Someone in the free agent forum made me curious so I looked up Detroit's recent history of trading picks for players. They don't do often at all.

I would imagine Nill will likely hoard picks like GM Joe did and Holland does in Detroit.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Yes ... I know this is ridiculously early, but I didn't know where to put this ....

Someone in the free agent forum made me curious so I looked up Detroit's recent history of trading picks for players. They don't do often at all.

I would imagine Nill will likely hoard picks like GM Joe did and Holland does in Detroit.

I think he will as well. Thats one thing I loved about Nieuwendyk. It was refreshing to see a guy really place so much value on picks. Being a scout kind of guy I definitely think Nil wont part with picks often.
Hell look at the Horcoff trade where he doesnt want to give up a pick until 2016.

RastaRockett

Apr 12, 2013
I think he will as well. Thats one thing I loved about Nieuwendyk. It was refreshing to see a guy really place so much value on picks. Being a scout kind of guy I definitely think Nil wont part with picks often.
Hell look at the Horcoff trade where he doesnt want to give up a pick until 2016.

And a 7th rounder at that :laugh:

It's a great sign though. I am only really ever a fan of trading away picks (still reluctantly) if you are trying to make a cup run and don't want to wait around for development. Obviously we are not in that situation so right now we need to focus on young players. We have Dillon who went undrafted and Benn who was a 5th rounder, each are huge pieces to our team. Picks are way too valuable!

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

That makes Dallas become a top free agent destination again a priority. All that takes is winning. I think some guys ... like Gonchar and Horcoff ... are buying the stuff Nill was selling. Other guys are probably going to need to see the success first.

No other team is in a better tax situation (only a handful are as good). Hopefully the easier travel within the new division will make some Eastern only guys willing to dip their toe in the west via Dallas.

I'm really hoping they get the winning part shored up in a big way this year. NY will likely have to get very creative to retain Dan Girardi, and that's a guy I would not mind seeing Dallas take a run at. He's far from flashy, but I think he's a potential glue type D that would be a fantastic partner for a risky partner like Goligoski or Connauton. I think he'd be a much better version of what the previous regime has tried to use Robidas as ... the calmer that helps bring young D around. Even though this goes against using him with more offensive first guys ... if Oleksiak plays a full AHL year this season ... I'd love to see him break in next season with a partner like Girardi.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site

It's a great sign though. I am only really ever a fan of trading away picks (still reluctantly) if you are trying to make a cup run and don't want to wait around for development. Obviously we are not in that situation so right now we need to focus on young players. We have Dillon who went undrafted and Benn who was a 5th rounder, each are huge pieces to our team. Picks are way too valuable!
Yup there are too many great players taken in later rounds to toss around picks. You never know when you might hit on a late round steal and the more chances the better the odds.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

That's the thing that shocked me though .... every single year I looked at Detroit was obviously considered one of the best teams in the league. They constantly finished with a late, late pick and were contending if not winning Cups.

They STILL didn't trade picks for quick fixes. Of the picks that really matter .... only 1 first and 2 seconds. That really surprised me.

When Dallas get's to that point, I would not mind one bit keeping the same philosophy.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
So Nill's only given up a 6th (Gonchar) and a 7th (Horcoff) ... yet he acquired Seguin ... pretty wild.

Obviously he gave up some assets for Tyler ... but those weren't his guys, and I think teams tend to value picks more than players (just my opinion).

RastaRockett

Apr 12, 2013
That's the thing that shocked me though .... every single year I looked at Detroit was obviously considered one of the best teams in the league. They constantly finished with a late, late pick and were contending if not winning Cups.

They STILL didn't trade picks for quick fixes. Of the picks that really matter .... only 1 first and 2 seconds. That really surprised me.

When Dallas get's to that point, I would not mind one bit keeping the same philosophy.

It's probably one of the biggest reasons they are able to constantly compete at the top of the league. You never see Detroit fade away and draft in the lottery to build up a contender after their core players (like Yzerman, Lidstrom, etc...) retire. They always have the farm stacked (from late picks) ready to fill in when called upon and they have a smooth transition into a new era. Like this off season they add Alfredsson and Weiss. They just patch up some holes in FA and keep on moving along. We saw Boston and Pittsburgh give up picks and prospects to us at the deadline last season to patch up mid season and they barely did more damage than Detroit. I'm surprised Nill landed Seguin without throwing in a pick.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Where's Gary the tank guy? I figure he is pleased with the way the draft wint even though we didn't pick in the top 3.

I actually thought about him for a brief moment just before the 9th pick, and an absolutely insane, sick part of me for a fraction of a second thought it would be hilarious to see how pissed Gary would be after Dallas lucked into elite talent despite not tanking just to pass on it.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
I don't think the team makes the playoffs. Unless they make a few more signings, there will be too much reliance on young players to do the bulk of the scoring, as well as on D.

There will be some growing pains IMO, and I think we finish with a similar pick as this year, as I said unless more moves are made. I think the Stars are better off having this coming season as a development year where they can snag another high draft pick. What's the strength of next years draft anyway?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
16th to 20th in the draft, but I could easily see their overall record being outside of the Top 16. I think the other division in the West is the best in the league, and I would not be surprised if one of their teams has a better record than 3rd in our division (hopefully Dallas) and still misses the playoffs. I think the East overall is trending upwards as well.

I don't think the team makes the playoffs. Unless they make a few more signings, there will be too much reliance on young players to do the bulk of the scoring, as well as on D.

There will be some growing pains IMO, and I think we finish with a similar pick as this year, as I said unless more moves are made. I think the Stars are better off having this coming season as a development year where they can snag another high draft pick. What's the strength of next years draft anyway?

I disagree their relying more on younger players. If anything it's less.

Their older (Bachman)/more experienced (Nilstorp) in net with the backup goalie.

Larsen and Benn have likely been replaced by Gonchar and Connauton.

Forward they are mostly older.

Seguin for Benn is a wash. Seguin's younger but they have the same experience in years, and Seguin has superior playoff experience.

Benn for Eriksson

Horcoff for Roy

Peverley essentially for the combo of Wandell and Vincour who split the year essentially. I still think he's the center that ends up on wing.

Nichushkin for Smith/Fraser

The only place they gave up significant age and experience is with Jagr, Morrow and Nystrom. Roussel probably takes on an even bigger role, and so does MacDermid. Chiasson likely steps in for Jagr once again.

Overall, I think it's an older team with more experience. If they miss the playoffs, their D let them down once again or Lehts missed significant time.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
16th to 20th in the draft, but I could easily see their overall record being outside of the Top 16. I think the other division in the West is the best in the league, and I would not be surprised if one of their teams has a better record than 3rd in our division (hopefully Dallas) and still misses the playoffs. I think the East overall is trending upwards as well.

You have a much higher opinion of Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver and Phoenix than I do.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
You have a much higher opinion of Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver and Phoenix than I do.

I bet Vancouver is still decent, like 4th in that conference, Edmonton is going to put it together eventually, and Phoenix added a big offensive piece in Ribeiro. With their defense and goaltending, they could be right in it again.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

Not Calgary, but yes I do believe the other 3 could easily finish ahead of Dallas. They'll all be in the same mix IMO though. I doubt any of them blow Dallas away in points this year. Although ... I'm pretty stunned you'd mention Vancouver in this group. They still have a top goaltender, and they didn't lose any major pieces on defense or in the forward group.

Phoenix is typically plays a great team game, and I'm actually concerned that now they don't have crazy potential relocation looming they could blow up. Plus, I don't know that a team added a more perfect free agent. Ribs is what they've needed for years.

Edmonton is going to put it together very soon, and I'd put some money on next year being the last growing pains year. I doubt they'll make the playoffs. I'm betting that SJ, LA, ANA, VAN, and PHX get in, but they'll be in that group the following season.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Holy ****, Ritchie is a big dude. Would love to have the Benn Bros and the Ritchie Bros.

It sucks just how unlikely it is for him to be in Dallas' range to pick. Their only bet would be a Saad-like fall.

Just think though ... two Ritchie's on the same line. Would be nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->