Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Oh I realized that's what you meant.

I was just giving you some additional reasons he might be available ... saying that he's not an unreasonable target and you might get what you want.

Well actually I guess I was mainly throwing that out there to further spur discussion over that.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Well actually I guess I was mainly throwing that out there to further spur discussion over that.

:laugh:

Well then yes I agree that's a good thing. Falls in-line with Dallas' stated goal of getting a bunch of guys around the same age and keeping them together for a while.

Most of Dallas' best or most promising players are currently in their 20's, but that teenage group has some decent options outside of Nuke. Still, I think their 20 somethings have the most upside overall ... again outside of Nuke.

Truth be told, this year I'm more concerned about getting better right now or next year so I haven't been as concerned with the draft. I think it's just the natural progression of Dallas getting better and better.

I really do expect the next group of kids to take 4 and 5 years to make the NHL anyway considering the Red Wings typical path to the NHL. I already expect Dallas to have good drafts because of Les Jackson so I can't even fathom being all that concerned now that Nill and some of his DET guys are in the mix. It's pretty freaking awesome to have that mix now.

Honestly, for the past 3 or 4 years ... outside of 2nd and some 3rd round picks ... every guy was someone I had no idea who he was and had fun looking up stuff on. I pretty much think that's how I'll most look at future drafts. Outside of always watching the WJC, I won't dedicate too much time to the draft overall and checking out Bobbie Mac's rankings and snippets.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Truth be told, this year I'm more concerned about getting better right now or next year so I haven't been as concerned with the draft. I think it's just the natural progression of Dallas getting better and better.

I'm not sure there is currently enough talent in the NHL, farm, and the system to really get help now. Perhaps with after another draft or two, but not right now. I'd like to be wrong though...

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm not sure there is currently enough talent in the NHL, farm, and the system to really get help now. Perhaps with after another draft or two, but not right now. I'd like to be wrong though...

I don't think it's close to last year at all, but these short vet contracts should pay off quite well this year and next.

I noticed even Frank P. (Dallas' old Assistant GM not writing for ESPN Insider) mentioned he expects Dallas to get something for Robidas since he should be back in April. He specifically mentioned mid pick, but I think there will be conditions that would allow it to be better if Robi plays deep into the playoffs.

Whitney and Fids should get decent but not great returns.

Next year Cole, Horcoff, and Gonchar are pretty popular deadline type players to move. I'm hoping Dallas won't be in sell off mode next year, but I think Dallas' depth with allow them to move one or two for futures.

There could be several 2nd round picks in that group that could be used for current players to get better now.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
OH yeah ... and how'd I forget.

At least one of Daley or Goligoski IMO are getting moved, and I wouldn't exactly be shocked if it's both. Daley has the most value IMO, probably quite a bit, and I think under the right circumstance you could get a decent return for Goligoski.

I don't expect these guys to be moved for picks. I think they'll get moved in NHL deals to improve the team, but that's just my feeling on the situation.

Jul 4, 2010
New Brunswick
How would you guys feel about Ivan Barbashev? If he is still on the board when we pick I wouldn't mind seeing the Stars pick him to give Nuke a Russian running mate to play with. Not saying we have to go full-blown Russian with our draft picks, just think it would be nice for Nichushkin to have someone he can, more closely, relate with on the team.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
How would you guys feel about Ivan Barbashev? If he is still on the board when we pick I wouldn't mind seeing the Stars pick him to give Nuke a Russian running mate to play with. Not saying we have to go full-blown Russian with our draft picks, just think it would be nice for Nichushkin to have someone he can, more closely, relate with on the team.

If he's he BPA, no doubt in my Dallas takes him. The days of Dallas' bias are gone.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
I guess you have to weigh each situation on its own. There was absolutely zero doubt in my mind that Nuke was the best player available when the Stars picked. If Barbs is available when Dallas is picking there definitely isn't going to be that same level of confidence.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I guess you have to weigh each situation on its own. There was absolutely zero doubt in my mind that Nuke was the best player available when the Stars picked. If Barbs is available when Dallas is picking there definitely isn't going to be that same level of confidence.

It should be for the Stars. They'll have their board assembled and know who is BPA according to their scouting.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
It should be for the Stars. They'll have their board assembled and know who is BPA according to their scouting.

Well let's say they had Nuke 5th on their board last year and Barb at 10 this year. When drafting at 10 having someone you ranked 5th on the board is a bigger difference than drafting at 15 and having whoever is ranked 10th on your board.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Well let's say they had Nuke 5th on their board last year and Barb at 10 this year. When drafting at 10 having someone you ranked 5th on the board is a bigger difference than drafting at 15 and having whoever is ranked 10th on your board.

This is different than what you previously said. This is about value ... and yes I agree there's almost zero chance Dallas gets the type of value they did last year ever again. That's rare and pretty special.

As far as a no brainier of who to take ... that should be pretty easy if they're sticking to the board which is what you referred to the first time ... i.e. it should be a no brainer because Dallas is likely sitting there looking at a predetermined board.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
For those who will be watching the WJC keep an eye on Sweden's Anton Karlsson. It's like watching a more talented Antoine Roussel. If the Stars are picking around the #12-15 spot then this is a guy I would love to have.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm pretty excited to watch David Pastrnak and Jakub Vrana of the Czech Republic. Both are playing/developing in Sweden, and Pastmak is actually outperforming Flip Forsberg in his draft season playing in Hockey Allsvenskan (Sweden's 2nd tier men's league).

Elite Prospects Profile:
Pasternak is a flashy, electrifying offensive talent with gifted hands and shiftiness in his feet. He also has a bullet shot and is a very dangerous finisher. He uses quickness and good lateral elusiveness to avoid bigger opponents. (August 2013)

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
It was Corey Pronman tweet that I saw the Forsberg comparison:

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman

David Pastrnak currently has 15 points in 25 games in the SHL-2. At the same age Filip Forsberg had 17 points in 43 games.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
There's something about Vrana that scares me, and I don't know what it is. Pastrnak on the other hand is intriguing, he could be the guy who climbs the rankings fast as the draft gets closer, a la Bo Horvat.

Another intriguing player is Nikolaj Ehlers, although i'm biased because I always wanted the Stars to draft a player from the Mooseheads.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
This is different than what you previously said. This is about value ... and yes I agree there's almost zero chance Dallas gets the type of value they did last year ever again. That's rare and pretty special.

As far as a no brainier of who to take ... that should be pretty easy if they're sticking to the board which is what you referred to the first time ... i.e. it should be a no brainer because Dallas is likely sitting there looking at a predetermined board.

My overall point is that when the Stars are on the clock if Barb is available there very may well be several players they've determined to be on par with him whereas when Dallas was picking and Nichushkin was on the board you had a damn good idea Dallas would take him because he was clearly the best talent. Obviously they are going to pick whoever they've got highest ranked on their board, but when putting together the list outside factors could play a bigger role in Barbs ranking simply because there won't be as big of a talent gap between him and players around him.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
I'm pretty excited to watch David Pastrnak and Jakub Vrana of the Czech Republic. Both are playing/developing in Sweden, and Pastmak is actually outperforming Flip Forsberg in his draft season playing in Hockey Allsvenskan (Sweden's 2nd tier men's league).

Elite Prospects Profile:

he might be fun to watch but 5'10 165 lbs could be an issue for him

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
he might be fun to watch but 5'10 165 lbs could be an issue for him

Wait ... so what? I know size is important to some, but weren't you all over Teuvo Teravainen two years ago?

Also, I've always seen him listed at 6'0 and around that weight.

Regardless ... WTH? I know you were pretty upset about passing on Teravainen who is essentially the same size.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Wait ... so what? I know size is important to some, but weren't you all over Teuvo Teravainen two years ago?

Also, I've always seen him listed at 6'0 and around that weight.

Regardless ... WTH? I know you were pretty upset about passing on Teravainen who is essentially the same size.

Size could be an issue for any small player. I just haven't heard enough praise for this guy to fall in love with his possible projection like i did with TT. Maybe its on the way, I dunno.

Jul 4, 2010
New Brunswick
I guess my real question is do you feel the Stars would take a Russian over any other nationality in order to bring some more comfort around Nuke to ensure he'll stay long-term in Dallas?

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
I guess my real question is do you feel the Stars would take a Russian over any other nationality in order to bring some more comfort around Nuke to ensure he'll stay long-term in Dallas?

I doubt it. He seems to be learning the language and getting along well with teammates. I don't know how much a fellow young Russian would really mean to him.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
No.

I'm skeptical that simply adding other Russians would have any impact on where Nichushkin decides to play hockey. The critical period is right now and the Stars have addressed that with having Gonchar as a mentor. You don't see the Penguins obsessing over how to bring in more Russians for Malkin to play with now that he's acclimated.

Besides, Nichushkin is an exceptional case making the Stars as an 18 year old. Other drafted players from this point onward, Russian or not, will almost certainly take multiple years to reach the NHL, if ever, rendering their use as a supposed safety blanket speculative at best.

Nichushkin's future in Dallas will depend on his personal success, the team's success, and his compensation. Not how many Russians are on the team.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
This is a little off topic from the usual "first round/top prospect" talk, but looking at potential players in the 2nd round, 3rd, etc, a guy who I find very intriguing is Sudbury Wolves forward Dominik Kahun, who was passed over in last years draft. The thing that caught my eye the most was his speed. He's a little on the smaller side at 5'11'' 175lbs, he plays LW/C, he was a point per game player in the WJC playing for Germany and is almost at that rate in the OHL (16pts in 18gp).

It's hard to read where/if he'll go at this years draft, but if he's still around in the 5th, 6th, or 7th rounds I don't see why he wouldn't be worth a shot.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
This is a little off topic from the usual "first round/top prospect" talk, but looking at potential players in the 2nd round, 3rd, etc, a guy who I find very intriguing is Sudbury Wolves forward Dominik Kahun, who was passed over in last years draft. The thing that caught my eye the most was his speed. He's a little on the smaller side at 5'11'' 175lbs, he plays LW/C, he was a point per game player in the WJC playing for Germany and is almost at that rate in the OHL (16pts in 18gp).

It's hard to read where/if he'll go at this years draft, but if he's still around in the 5th, 6th, or 7th rounds I don't see why he wouldn't be worth a shot.

He impressed me at the WJC too, Id take a shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad