2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 4

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Kempe doesn't have elite hands but he's improved a lot in stickhandling and his developmental curve is trending up. Why would we be mad at getting another Lars Eller? at 26 in a weak draft? I'd be ****ing happy to get another playing of Lars calibre.

Highly doubt it will be Kempe. Guys with scoring troubles over there have bad history, especially after Collberg never developed like they thought. Think about it...guy in finesse league can't score how can he in NHL? Unless everybody else Timmins likes around 26th is gone. Then if that is the scenario he likely trade down. Deal the 26th for pick in early 30s and another 2nd rounder. Take a chance on a guy like Masin use later 2nd take a flyer on guy like Donato. He certainly increases his odds. Doubt he trades up as well....ask yourself what will he give up? Plekanec? Maybe but get gut feeling that is too risky for Bergs. He will want help now if moves Pleks.

Last edited:

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I didn't see it, I can't believe it, ooooh but I feel it, when Ho-Sang to me

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Timmins all but shot down Ho Sang in an interview yesterday. Doubt he would take a jab at guy with thought of drafting him

I wouldn't read too much into TT making a joke about Ho-Sang...just shows he has a sense of humour :laugh:
It's well documented that Ho-Sang believes he should be the 1st overall pick which is funny by itself. Ho-Sang doesn't lack confidence that is for sure.

It's going to be fun to watch tonight to see who we get....can't wait until it gets started.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I wouldn't read too much into TT making a joke about Ho-Sang...just shows he has a sense of humour :laugh:
It's well documented that Ho-Sang believes he should be the 1st overall pick which is funny by itself. Ho-Sang doesn't lack confidence that is for sure.

It's going to be fun to watch tonight to see who we get....can't wait until it gets started.

Might he have joked about Ho-Sang to throw other teams off the scent? :naughty:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Highly doubt it will be Kempe. Guys with scoring troubles over there have bad history, especially after Collberg never developed like they thought. Think about it...guy in finesse league can't score how can he in NHL? Unless everybody else Timmins likes around 26th is gone. Then if that is the scenario he likely trade down. Deal the 26th for pick in early 30s and another 2nd rounder. Take a chance on a guy like Masin use later 2nd take a flyer on guy like Donato. He certainly increases his odds. Doubt he trades up as well....ask yourself what will he give up? Plekanec? Maybe but get gut feeling that is too risky for Bergs. He will want help now if moves Pleks.

Scoring troubles? He's almost a 15 and he scored points in the SHL.. Not many draft eligible players score a lot in the SHL..

I agree that he might not have first line potential.. But he's character player and he is hard to play against which is two things timmins specifically identified in his interview. I think his offensive upside gets hated on a little too much for a young player who scored at a decent clip in a men's league.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
I really don't think they'll pick Ho-Sang. Like I said a few times, I'm kinda expecting Honka to fall a little bit because of his size. He would then fit the description of a "risk" because of that. If we're not moving up or down, he's the guy I would target.

GoHabsGo312711*

Said Ho-Sang, in a lengthy interview: “If I was a general manager and had first pick in the draft, I’d pick me No. 1 ... In three years, I’ll be the best player in this draft. And I have no doubt about that. I know myself. I know the other players. I believe in my ability. There are guys ranked ahead of me who are nowhere near me.

“The Leafs have said they want to move up to pick first,” Ho-Sang said.

“Well, they can stay at eight and still get the No. 1 pick.”

He was referring to himself. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

http://www.theobserver.ca/2014/06/24/the-curious-case-of-controversial-nhl-prospect-joshua-ho-sang

Draft

Jan 23, 2013

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you've never watched him play and don't know much, if anything, about the SHL. Try looking up how high-end Swedish players have scored in their pre-draft seasons. He's not an offensive dynamo like Nylander but he plays a pro-style game and has pretty great fundamentals. I can see him playing in the top-6 in a complimentary role.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'd be fine with an off the board guy like Magyar if the better guys are gone.

Magyar might have in him the possibility to be the best player coming out of the 2nd round. But 1st round? That's stretching it a bit. Mind you, if the idea is to get that type of winger like Scherbak, Kempe etc., type of guys with some size and possibility to even be bigger with scome scoring touch....sure Magyar fits the profile.

It is a weaker draft....but geez would a 2nd round pick be great. And not only that but while we have a 3rd round pick...it's incredibly far. 2 picks in the top 100....you need to be extremely Wise and Lucky to get something out of this.

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you've never watched him play and don't know much, if anything, about the SHL. Try looking up how high-end Swedish players have scored in their pre-draft seasons. He's not an offensive dynamo like Nylander but he plays a pro-style game and has pretty great fundamentals. I can see him playing in the top-6 in a complimentary role.

That's a great description of Kempe's game, and is also a great description of De La Rose's game.

I'd be very happy with Kempe at 26, but would completely understand if the Habs went for a swing for the fences type pick. De La Rose presented a great value for the habs in the 2nd round last year. I'm not sure Kempe at 26 offers the same.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
That's a great description of Kempe's game, and is also a great description of De La Rose's game.

I'd be very happy with Kempe at 26, but would completely understand if the Habs went for a swing for the fences type pick. De La Rose presented a great value for the habs in the 2nd round last year. I'm not sure Kempe at 26 offers the same.

They're quite similar but have some notable differences in how they play and what their offensive strengths are. Size, skating ability, physicality, and defensive play are both their strong points but DLR is much more likely to crash the net or take advantage of plays created by his line mates whereas I've found Kempe more capable of creating plays and moving the puck.

He's got everything else, maybe we're "swinging for the fences" hoping he develops more offensive upside (i.e. McCarron). Just about every player could be considered a big risk.

I've got a feeling it'll be Masin.

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net
They're quite similar but have some notable differences in how they play and what their offensive strengths are. Size, skating ability, physicality, and defensive play are both their strong points but DLR is much more likely to crash the net or take advantage of plays created by his line mates whereas I've found Kempe more capable of creating plays and moving the puck.

He's got everything else, maybe we're "swinging for the fences" hoping he develops more offensive upside (i.e. McCarron). Just about every player could be considered a big risk.

I've got a feeling it'll be Masin.

It also helps that Kempe is (I believe) the youngest player projected to go in the first 2 rounds.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
I want to thank all the posters that got me up to speed on this years draft. I put together a list of players that have been mentioned the most on here (players some believe could still be available at 26) sorry if I missed someone....the rankings are all over the board so it is very possible we can draft one of these players.

Nikita Scherbak rankings
Craig Button: 35 | THN: 18 | ISS: 27 | hockeyprospect.com: 14 | McKeen's: 16 | NHL CS: 15 NAS and TSN: 21

David Pastrnak rankings
Craig Button: 25 | THN: 23 | ISS: 33 | hockeyprospect.com: 17 | McKeen's: 25 | NHL CS: 5 ES and TSN: 22

Ivan Barbashev rankings
Craig Button: 14 | THN: 22 | ISS: 19 | hockeyprospect.com: 13 | McKeen's: 23 | NHL CS: 18 NAS and TSN: 23

Travis Sanheim rankings
Craig Button: 8 | THN: 21 | ISS: 30 | hockeyprospect.com: 16 | McKeen's: 15 | NHL CS: 53 NAS and TSN: 24

Nick Schmaltz rankings
Craig Button: 24 | THN: 31 | ISS: 24 | hockeyprospect.com: 28 | McKeen's: 30 | NHL CS: 19 NAS and TSN: 26

Adrian Kempe rankings
Craig Button: 10 | THN: 29 | ISS: 22 | hockeyprospect.com: 21 | McKeen's: 26 | NHL CS: 6 ES and TSN:28

Brendan Lemieux rankings
Craig Button: 33 | THN: 37 | ISS: 34 | hockeyprospect.com: 26 | McKeen's: 50 | NHL CS: 28 NAS and TSN: 33

Jack Dougherty rankings
Craig Button: 81 | THN: 25 | ISS: 42 | hockeyprospect.com: 27 | McKeen's: 22 | NHL CS: 30 NAS and TSN: 35

Nikolay Goldobin rankings
Craig Button: 34 | THN: 34 | ISS: 28 | hockeyprospect.com: 29 | McKeen's: 41 | NHL CS: 24 NAS and TSN: 37

And last ....but Ho-Sang would like you too know....THE BEST PICK lol. I must admit I would like to take a home run swing on this guy!

Josh Ho-Sang rankings #1 ;)
Craig Button: 39 | THN: 27 | ISS: 18 | hockeyprospect.com: 61 | McKeen's: 33 | NHL CS: 22 NAS and TSN: 30

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
If guys like Barbashev or Scherbak are somehow available at 26 and we trade down I won't be a happy camper :shakehead

Exactly. It all depends on who's still on the board when our picks comes along. Then and only then will they decide if they want to trade down. Even then, they'll need to have a dance partner.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
Magyar might have in him the possibility to be the best player coming out of the 2nd round. But 1st round? That's stretching it a bit. Mind you, if the idea is to get that type of winger like Scherbak, Kempe etc., type of guys with some size and possibility to even be bigger with scome scoring touch....sure Magyar fits the profile.

It is a weaker draft....but geez would a 2nd round pick be great. And not only that but while we have a 3rd round pick...it's incredibly far. 2 picks in the top 100....you need to be extremely Wise and Lucky to get something out of this.

Sometimes reaching isn't a terrible thing. Would've preferred we reach for Merrill instead of trading up to get Tinordi. Magyar looks like a really solid player going forward, just as much as most guys around the later part of the 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad