Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
New York Rangers: Igor Shestyorkin denies demanding to play only in NHL

Shesterkin calls it an outright lie that he's demanding not to go to Hartford. Very humble kid. Good head.

When Brodeur started the 1993-94 season, he decided against NJ on his helmet because he wasn't sure he'll play in NJ and not Albany. He was a double OT Game 7 goal away from leading the Devils to the Cup Final where NJ would've been a heavy favorite against Vancouver.

Lundqvist also said he wasn't sure he can make the NHL when he first came over. You get somewhere by being good, not by making demands.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Shesterkin calls it an outright lie that he's demanding not to go to Hartford. Very humble kid. Good head.

When Brodeur started the 1993-94 season, he decided against NJ on his helmet because he wasn't sure he'll play in NJ and not Albany. He was a double OT Game 7 goal away from leading the Devils to the Cup Final where NJ would've been a heavy favorite against Vancouver.

Lundqvist also said he wasn't sure he can make the NHL when he first came over. You get somewhere by being good, not by making demands.
This is great to see. I was legitimately worried about Igor’s willingness to come over if weren’t guaranteed a spot.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

This is great news Beacon, thanks!

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Especially as a goalie, one can't reasonably expect to spend zero time in the AHL to start. Plus just knowing what NYR has going on at this position now it should be clear there's a good chance of some AHL time. And that's fine.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
none of these kids want to go there. do you blame them ? hartford is a dumpster fire.

georgie complicaties things for shestyorkin but hell need to go there just for someplace to play.

good or bad, these young russians want no part of hartford.

i would expect him to put up some nice numbers in the A.

cannot wait for him to come over.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Georgi and Hank will split time this year 60/40-ish. Then Hank hangs em up next summer after his numbers pretty much stay the same as this year and the team continues to struggle. Hank is hired to the front office as Special Adviser to the Special Adviser's Special Adviser.

The following season Georgi and Shesty split the duties with a 65-35 split (Georgi has much more NHL exp and so is warranted the lion's share while Shesty gets his feet wet), but depending on who is hot or not the proportion can be adjusted throughout the year.

Most importantly, due to the forecasted influx of Russian (potential) star players coming over, beginning in the 2019-2020 season the NYR are excited to announce that Tuesday's will now be Pirozhki night moving forward! Please make the adjustments to your calendars accordingly.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Already improving his English. A few months ago he would be using his interpreter for everything, now he is understanding and responding much better (still using one for a few questions since the reporters forget these kids are still learning the language and ask complex questions super fast).

Reactions: Leetch3

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

Already improving his English. A few months ago he would be using his interpreter for everything, now he is understanding and responding much better (still using one for a few questions since the reporters forget these kids are still learning the language and ask complex questions super fast).

that was my first thought too. his comfort level in speaking english appears to be greatly improved in just a short amount of time. I also get good vibes about his personality. even with limited words, his laughing and trying to crack jokes makes him seem like a good kid and someone you want to root for.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

His English didn't improve. He is just more comfortable now. This same debate every freaking time. It happened with Kakko as well. They don't just magically learn English in 3 months. Using an interepreter is very common in baseball, for players who lived and played in NA for years.

Shestyorkin spoke English 2 years ago and did interviews in English for Finnish television.

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
I like that brief look at his demeanor as well. As his language skills get better he should be able to make himself a great fit and a popular guy... and in the meanwhile there's now going to be a few other young Russian speakers on both the NHL team and the HFD squad for comfort and support. Things are gonna work out fine.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
His English didn't improve. He is just more comfortable now. This same debate every freaking time. It happened with Kakko as well. They don't just magically learn English in 3 months. Using an interepreter is very common in baseball, for players who lived and played in NA for years.

Shestyorkin spoke English 2 years ago and did interviews in English for Finnish television.

I understand your point but how angry these type of comments seem to make you amuses me lol

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Do you really need to start arguments over everything no matter how petty?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I understand the the "comfortability" factor and it obviously makes a huge difference, but still, I know most guys will continue to actively work on improving their language skills even if they're simultaneously becoming more comfortable. It's like a guy's actual game--he may come over and become more comfortable in his second season, but if he's a young guys he probably also has become better. They're not mutually exclusive, AFAIK.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Do you really need to start arguments over everything no matter how petty?

but thats the part that amuses me...AK is probably the most mellow, overly rational person here. everyone else rages over random dumb stuff and he immediately chimes in with logic...but this small semantics about a guys issue with english just makes him mad lol

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
Igor's Stats so far:

GP: 3
Wins: 3
Losses: 0

1.34 GAA + .952 SV%. 4 Goals Against, 83 Saves and 1 Shutout.

For comparison, Huska has given up 8 Goals in 3 Games. 2.57 GAA + .910 SV%.

Keep it up Igor!:popcorn:

Crazy, he's bringing his KHL stats to North America!

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Who would have thought the one positive this year so far has been Hartford so far?! If these kids like Igor and Chytil are having fun down there keep them there. Right now probably better for their development then being thrown into this mess up with the big club.

Reactions: Lias Andersson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad