Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
All the right answers.

And, to point #8, its always amazing to me that prospects can get to near-NHL level before someone tells them "Don't eat garbage, and you must work out in the off-season"

I think part of it is instilling good habits before their bodies stop letting them get away with it. Kids in their teens and early 20s still thrive on Big Macs and Red Bull. I miss those days :laugh:

Reactions: haveandare

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Shesterkin gave an interview to a Russian outlet. Based on a tone he seems pretty comfortable with himself and his current situation.

A few points that could be of interest:

1. He's a little bit surprised that he's successful so early on but gives credit to the rest of the team and notes that there's more work for him to be done to continue progressing
2. Noted more shots overall in AHL compared to KHL and due to smaller ice surface things developing quicker so he needs to stay more focused
3. Notes that hockey in AHL is simpler (probably meant to say "less creative) but not for goalies as the guys can still really shot
4. Interviewer noted that Kravtsov complained about what coaching staff demanded from him and ask if Shesterkin had similar issues. He answered that Kravtsov was playing in a different hockey than was asked of him while demands to him are simple - to stop a puck
5. Said he doesn't have a problem sharing workload with Huska so far almost 50/50 given all back-to-back games. But was told he should expect to play more in the near future
6. Likes living in Hartford, staying with his girlfriend who fluently speaks English in a rented apartment
7. Can't explain disappointing performance in Traverse City. Just says he wasn't prepared
8. Along with Kravtsov and Rykov came over early to NA to work with Prentiss. Said he got physically stronger and learned a lot about nutrition
9. Very impressed with Lundqvist. Said he's a great person and also noted that noone works as hard in practice as the King. Seeing this dedication made him want to practice just as hard
10. No one reached out to him from SKA, he does not consider returning back to the KHL. Said he doesn't expect to spend "few years" in the AHL (after being asked would he consider staying in the AHL for a few years)
11. Doesn't mind being on a bus or getting paid significantly less. Looks at it a stimulus to get better (for the future to come sooner)

Separately, there's another article / digest of what is said in America about Kravtov's return to the KHL. Brooks' and P. Williams' quotes were translated. Also a hole bunch of quotes that I swear sounds like where taken from HFNYR.

Thanks for sharing! I love this kid.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Hope he gets to see some NHL ice time in the next few months. I'd love to watch him play at the garden.

Reactions: haveandare

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
He's forcing the issue. In the small AHL sample size he's proving that his KHL run was no fluke. He's going to force the team to give him some NHL games later this season or early next season.

This is a good problem to have.

I also feel like almost ten games in NA looking this good, when can we end the 'sample size' argument? Ten games for a goalie has to be the equivalent of 20+ for a skater, yeah?

PromoterDave

Apr 22, 2016
Toronto
Is this guy better than Georgiev? As a Leafs fan I wouldn't mind trading for Georgiev if Shestyorkin beats him out for the backup job for the NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad