Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Even though it's the teams fault for not scoring a goal, this was probably his last game with Ska. No doubt they go with Hellberg next game.

What a burning hot take this is.

Helberg potentially or even likely being the starting goalie the next game does not lead to this being the last game for Shesty.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Even Igor can have a bad game at tims.
Very disappointing.

We’d be singing a different tune if it was game 1 of NHL playoffs and he gave up 2 on 12. Anyone can have a bad game but it shouldn’t be game 1 of the playoffs trying to prove yourself as a big game goalie after putting up astronomical numbers for a few seasons. You really want to see the extra gear in the playoffs. I didn’t see the goals so it could be he had 0 chance, but odds are against that being the case.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Very disappointing.

We’d be singing a different tune if it was game 1 of NHL playoffs and he gave up 2 on 12. Anyone can have a bad game but it shouldn’t be game 1 of the playoffs trying to prove yourself as a big game goalie after putting up astronomical numbers for a few seasons. You really want to see the extra gear in the playoffs. I didn’t see the goals so it could be he had 0 chance, but odds are against that being the case.
Yes, the fact that it’s a playoff game makes judging a player based off a singular game much more plausible!

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Its not really far fetched..

It is. This loss (at this point) is nothing but a minor stumble. SKA is expected to go at least to WCF. That's roughly 18 games give or take. I have a hard time believing that Shesterkin won't get another chance.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Very disappointing.

How could you possibly say that odds are against that being the case? What the hell could that be based on? How would you be able to drawn that conclusion without seeing the goals? It's impossible.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It is. This loss (at this point) is nothing but a minor stumble. SKA is expected to go at least to WCF. That's roughly 18 games give or take. I have a hard time believing that Shesterkin won't get another chance.
Didn't he only play like 5 minutes in the playoffs last year? And only 5 of 20 games or something the year before? I mean the fact that he started today seems to indicate they plan on playing him, but it's not totally inconceivable they don't play him anymore. I guess we'll have to see.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Yes, the fact that it’s a playoff game makes judging a player based off a singular game much more plausible!
Exactly.

I know you're being sarcastic but the games hold more value and matter more. It's definitely not a great statistical method but it's still the way it is.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Exactly.

I know you're being sarcastic but the games hold more value and matter more. It's definitely not a great statistical method but it's still the way it is.
It’s only the ”way it is” if you’re short sighted and can’t see the forest for the trees.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Where the goals he allowed actually his fault?

Hardly. Both goals were allowed on PK. In the first instance there was a cross-seam pass that resulted in an empty net goal. Shesterkin has many highlight saves where he's able to move across and stretch to make a save but in this instance he had no chance as he prevented to recover by a combination of his defenseman and Spartak forward. On the other PK Spartak forward was left completely alone not 10 feet right in front from the goal with enough time to shoot the puck straight under the bar. Objectively Shesterkin had no chance.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Didn't he only play like 5 minutes in the playoffs last year? And only 5 of 20 games or something the year before? I mean the fact that he started today seems to indicate they plan on playing him, but it's not totally inconceivable they don't play him anymore. I guess we'll have to see.

The difference (and the reason why he was a starter in game 1) is that this year he is the #1 going into playoffs. Obviously there is a possibility that this is it for Shesterkin but is it likely? IMHO not even close.

Reactions: nyr2k2

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
How could you possibly say that odds are against that being the case? What the hell could that be based on? How would you be able to drawn that conclusion without seeing the goals? It's impossible.

1- Igor plays for a top top team in a league where the gap between the best and all others is quite wide. His stellar GAA and sv%, while an indication of his skill and potential, are partly (debatable how much) due to the team around him. So is it fair then to assume that he *might* face fewer 'tough' chances?

2- I also assumed that 12 shots will have fewer 'top quality' chances than had he given up 2 on 35. Again, not guaranteed, can spam low quality chances or try for the perfect play with few shots attempted, but I'm just playing percentages here.

Edit:Moot point anyway as it seems they weren't his fault based on an account of the goals.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
It’s only the ”way it is” if you’re short sighted and can’t see the forest for the trees.
Playoffs matter more, and some guys may consistently perform better, some perform worse, and others roughly the same.

However, making conclusions from this one game is nuts you are correct, but being disappointed seeing it is not.

Turns out the goals were not his fault, hopefully he gets the nod the next game.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
For some reason the link won't work, but if you go to en.khl.ru and just move your cursor over the SKA game, you can access the video.

Goals at 1:12 and 1:36. If you want to make the conclusion he won't perform in the playoffs based on those goals, go ahead.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
For some reason the link won't work, but if you go to en.khl.ru and just move your cursor over the SKA game, you can access the video.

Goals at 1:12 and 1:36. If you want to make the conclusion he won't perform in the playoffs based on those goals, go ahead.

Agreed, both were tough goals. First one was a big rebound but it looked like he probably didn't see the initial shot coming in through the traffic. The guy on other team made a hell of a pass to give it to the player wide open on the back door. No chance at that one...

Second goal was just blown coverage by SKA...Datsyuk was on cruise control haha maybe the end of his shift? Either way, I don't think he had a shot at the one either.

Last edited:

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
Very disappointing.

You cannot say that he cannot reach another gear in the playoffs based off ONE game.

That’s a whole lot of assumptions.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
You cannot say that he cannot reach another gear in the playoffs based off ONE game.

That’s a whole lot of assumptions.
Who said that? Not me. I expressed disappointment at the 2 goals (crazy!), said that statistically I would assume 1 or both was his fault furthering the disappointment (incorrect/wrong about that and acknowledged).

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The difference (and the reason why he was a starter in game 1) is that this year he is the #1 going into playoffs. Obviously there is a possibility that this is it for Shesterkin but is it likely? IMHO not even close.
Yeah for sure, like I said it bodes well that he was the Game 1 starter. I just know that SKA likes the goalie-share approach, and I worry that a loss (even if it's not his fault) will cause Hellberg to get more action than he otherwise would have. Hopefully not, though.

Reactions: romba

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah for sure, like I said it bodes well that he was the Game 1 starter. I just know that SKA likes the goalie-share approach, and I worry that a loss (even if it's not his fault) will cause Hellberg to get more action than he otherwise would have. Hopefully not, though.
Exactly, and next game i'm sure SKA will come out on fire after being upset tonight so Hellberg will likely get the easy win if he plays (which i'm confident he will)...so they will just continue to ride the same team after that for a least a few games.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So is the plan next year to rotate Sherts and Georgie up and down ?

Sherts has to be a team guy and learn in the AHL ... did vasy In Tampa?

Not sure what happens the next year though cause Hank would have 1 year left

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So is the plan next year to rotate Sherts and Georgie up and down ?

Sherts has to be a team guy and learn in the AHL ... did vasy In Tampa?

Not sure what happens the next year though cause Hank would have 1 year left

25 in AHL, 16 in NHL his first season.
12 in AHL, 25 in NHL his second season.

But he was just 20 in his first season in NA

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
That it was very unlikely he would play game 2.

And i'm shocked he's in net because this is the complete opposite how SKA has used their goalies over the last 3 years.
Like others have mentioned, it seems that Shesty is more of the number 1 this year as opposed to last year where he was more of a split/Shesty the backup kind of.

Either way it’s nice he’s getting the chance to string a few games together and not constantly be looking over his shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad