Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Like others have mentioned, it seems that Shesty is more of the number 1 this year as opposed to last year where he was more of a split/Shesty the backup kind of.

Either way it’s nice he’s getting the chance to string a few games together and not constantly be looking over his shoulder.
Don't know how that conclusion can be made when Igor played 28 games this season and Hellberg played 34.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Don't know how that conclusion can be made when Igor played 28 games this season and Hellberg played 34.
Yes and two years ago, Shesterking started 39 games in the regular season compared to 19 for Koskinen, and then Koskinen got 15 of the 20 playoff games. I'm not going to argue whether these moves are justified or not, but it's undeniable that SKA has made some (on the surface) unusual choices in how they split up their goalies' starts.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Igor blew it.

SKA was up 2-0 with 15 minutes to go and he gave up 3 goals in those 15 minutes, including the GWG with 5 seconds left in the game.

15 saves on 18 shots.

Now...I will confidently say, he's played his last game with SKA.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Igor blew it.

SKA was up 2-0 with 15 minutes to go and he gave up 3 goals in those 15 minutes, including the GWG with 5 seconds left in the game.

15 saves on 18 shots.

You haven't seen the goals, obviously.

First goal was a good pass and shitty coverage by SKA's defense. Tying goal you maybe could make a case, but it was a shot on a PP through a partial screen with traffic in front and Shestya gave up a rebound. 3rd goal again shitty defense not tying up the forwards stick and a good shot by Karsums from perhaps seven or eight feet out. He played that one well, positionally. Nothing he could do.

Of course SKA might switch to Hellberg, but Shestyorkin has made maybe half a mistake in those two games. It's discipline and hybris that cost SKA. To blame it on the goalie or state he "blew it" is beyond ridiculous.

Reactions: cheech70

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
You haven't seen the goals, obviously.

First goal was a good pass and ****ty coverage by SKA's defense. Tying goal you maybe could make a case, but it was a shot on a PP through a partial screen with traffic in front and Shestya gave up a rebound. 3rd goal again ****ty defense not tying up the forwards stick and a good shot by Karsums from perhaps seven or eight feet out. He played that one well, positionally. Nothing he could do.

Of course SKA might switch to Hellberg, but Shestyorkin has made maybe half a mistake in those two games. It's discipline and hybris that cost SKA. To blame it on the goalie or state he "blew it" is beyond ridiculous.
Thanks, I did see the goals. 2nd goal was definitely his fault on the bad rebound and I didn't think is positioning was good at all for the 3rd goal. Regardless he gave up 3 goals in the final 15. He didn't make the big saves to bail his team out, SKA needs to right the ship fast and they will definitely be looking for a change for game 3.

He's got a .853 save % in the first 2 games, c'on man, I'm the biggest Shest fan around, but when he's not playing well you have to just admit it. He was making those huge saves all season to bail his team out and through 2 games, he hasn't.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
So, because of SKA's obvious dominance this is not a topic that I recall seeing breached much before, but...

If their season does end prematurely, is there a chance that we could see Shesty play some games in NA before our year is over?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So, because of SKA's obvious dominance this is not a topic that I recall seeing breached much before, but...

If their season does end prematurely, is there a chance that we could see Shesty play some games in NA before our year is over?

It all depends on what Shestyorkin wants to do.

Scenario A: Stay in Russia, earn 25k a month and play for the national team in spring tournaments, with the chance to earn a spot on the team for the World Championships in Bratislava in May

Scenario B: Come to North America, sign a PTO for 5K a month, and play some AHL games

If it was me, I would go with scenario A.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
It all depends on what Shestyorkin wants to do.

Scenario A: Stay in Russia, earn 25k a month and play for the national team in spring tournaments, with the chance to earn a spot on the team for the World Championships in Bratislava in May

Scenario B: Come to North America, sign a PTO for 5K a month, and play some AHL games

If it was me, I would go with scenario A.

Scenario A certainly sounds better.

I assume the PTO would be necessary for expansion draft purposes?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Scenario A certainly sounds better.

I assume the PTO would be necessary for expansion draft purposes?

Yes. Either way, if he signs an entry level contract and plays in the AHL, he would still only make 5k, which is just not worth it when they can make 25k in Russia until the end of April.

Also, the teams would have to agree to release them (Kravtsov, Shestyorkin, Rykov) if they are eliminated early. It's not a given

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Igor blew it.

15 saves on 18 shots.

This is not a good sign. I haven’t liked his big game performances honestly.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'm sorry that's not a penalty. He was in a full split with his blocker on his pad. I didnt see an attempt to pull him arm in after the stick was in the guys skates. He was aggressively facing the shooter. may be too far out of the crease but a major and a game? Come on

Reactions: haveandare

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Absolutely terrible call. What is he suppose to not try and save the puck? The guy skated into his pad. Brutal

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Absolutely terrible call. What is he suppose to not try and save the puck? The guy skated into his pad. Brutal

Yeah, but this is what happens in all leagues, and across different sports. The moment an injury occurs, referees tend to use that as validation for a penalty/suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad