Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Can I ask, though, why it really matters? Like I get why turning Fasth into Fast was stupid, it's already written in the Latin alphabet so dropping the H was just lazy. But going from Cyrillic script to Latin, it gets transliterated all kinds of ways. Just seems like much ado about nothing, personally.

I don't get why they don't just stick to Shestyorkin, which is the name he uses on his jersey already. I've gotten used to it over the years, and there's really no reason to change it. I just feel they should stick to what they use as the Latin translation in Russia. That's where the players are from. It makes sense.

Want to know how they spell Ovechkin in the Netherlands? Ovetsjkin.

That makes my head explode.

igor-shestyorkin.jpg

4b734de45ad99cbd2bc5375fa9d229d1.jpg

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't get why they don't just stick to Shestyorkin, which is the name he uses on his jersey already. I've gotten used to it over the years, and there's really no reason to change it. I just feel they should stick to what they use as the Latin translation in Russia. That's where the players are from. It makes sense.

Want to know how they spell Ovechkin in the Netherlands? Ovetsjkin.

That makes my head explode.

igor-shestyorkin.jpg

4b734de45ad99cbd2bc5375fa9d229d1.jpg
Russia has its own internal standard for this, much of the rest of the world follows an ISO standard on it, and the US has its own standard.

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Can I ask, though, why it really matters? Like I get why turning Fasth into Fast was stupid, it's already written in the Latin alphabet so dropping the H was just lazy. But going from Cyrillic script to Latin, it gets transliterated all kinds of ways. Just seems like much ado about nothing, personally.

Dear Diary,
Today I learned a new word.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I just think it's very easy to, in hindsight, judge draft picks which just isn't fair.

It's only not fair if you didn't have, and voice, an opinion in real time. Everyone on this board that was here to participate in the epic McIlrath draft thread has every right to shit on that pick for the rest of their lives.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Russia has its own internal standard for this, much of the rest of the world follows an ISO standard on it, and the US has its own standard.

Yeah, and Swedish state TV — for a long while at least — has two different standards due to which part of Russia you are from.

The US standard is easy to pronounce but to me it does seem less accurate. In Russian, how accurate is Federov for example? When it’s pronounced in Russia it sounds a bit more slavic, like Fjoderoff.

Reactions: nyr2k2

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
I don’t care how anyone spells his name. I care about how well he plays and if he can play well when he gets here.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think the confusion is that "e" is the letter in Cyrillic that produces the "yo" sound, but it sounds like "yo".

Yes. Syomin turns into Semin, Artyom turns into Artem etc.

But as I said: I just got used to "Shestyorkin" over the last 6 years watching him.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yawn...our boy with another 25 save shutout vs the team behind them in the standings.

23-4 record
.951 save % (1st in the KHL)
1.15 GAA (1st in the KHL)
9 Shutouts (3rd in KHL) (#1 and #2 who have 10 shutouts have played 11 and 18 more games than him)

Reactions: kovazub94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad