2014 NHL Draft Discussion: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
For the last time, fans need to stop rejoicing over having the Top 10 protected pick rule as part of the Vanek trade. If next year we finish dead last and miss out on Connor McDavid, the Vanek trade will go down as the worst trade in the history of hockey.

I have a really bad feeling that this will happen, and it's very possible. Even if we're to draft 2nd or 3rd overall-I'd still let Buffalo draft this year. I'll be ok with drafting with whatever we can get for Vanek this year-and covering our bases for McDavid.

CLUTTERSTACHE*

For the last time, fans need to stop rejoicing over having the Top 10 protected pick rule as part of the Vanek trade. If next year we finish dead last and miss out on Connor McDavid, the Vanek trade will go down as the worst trade in the history of hockey.

Wow that kids a stud

born in 97. omg lol

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
I thought the top 3 were pretty solid?

Sam Reinhart is not considered in the same league as MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin and Jones.

Barkov dominated the FEL at 17 years old.

Drouin would have gone number one this year. He is so many miles better than Reinhart. He averages almost a goal a game in the Q, which, while a lopsided league in terms of talent, is still amazing.

Jones was the best defensive prospect in 10 years and he went FOURTH.

Really, what draft do you have Ekblad or Reinhart going no. 1, or even top 5, in the past 5 years, even with hindsight 20/20?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Sam Reinhart is not considered in the same league as MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin and Jones.

Barkov dominated the FEL at 17 years old.

Drouin would have gone number one this year. He is so many miles better than Reinhart. He averages almost a goal a game in the Q, which, while a lopsided league in terms of talent, is still amazing.

Really, what draft do you have Ekblad or Reinhart going no. 1, or even top 5, in the past 5 years, even with hindsight 20/20?

Ekblad's future as a blueline force looks good and would probably step on the ice immediately next season from what I have read and what little I have seen. Sure, none this class is on MacKinnon's level, but would you call it 2002 bad?

Hershey Hockey

#AskNeal
Oct 5, 2010
Hershey, PA
Here's my question. We have this clause with the trade that we can hang on to this year's pick if it's top 10, but do we HAVE to? If we have a top 2 or 3 pick, OK, maybe that's one thing. But say things turn around somewhat and the pick is in like the 6 to 10 range, which I think is plausible.

Can we just say eh screw it and let them have it so we have our first round pick next year?

There's no one I really see as an elite talent coming out of this year's draft. Everyone's saying it's deep, but nobody who comes off as a potential superstar. We already have plenty of promising guys in the system so missing the first round of a draft like this shouldn't be that big of a deal. Why not exercise the option to take a pass on the first round this year even if the pick is top 10 that way this nightmare situation of missing out on a possible supreme talent like McDavid isn't a possibility?

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I'd let the Sabres have our pick this year and trade Vanek for whatever return they can get at the deadline. They way this rebuild is going we might well be looking at another top 3 pick next year and I wouldn't be without both a 1st and 2nd rounder then

kuwo

Jun 2, 2010
SVK
I'm a bit surpised so many people think the Isles may actually have a real shot at McDavid in 2015. I know the predictions that Isles will be better next year are getting old and this season is a testimony to it, but honestly I don't believe they will be in the "McDavid race", despite the lottery rules change...

I also think that the pick in this upcoming draft will be closer to 10th than to 1st overall. Some of my thoughts may change based on Vanek's contract status, but I say keep the pick and try to draft one of the skilled good-sized wingers available (Draisaitl, Dal Colle, Perlini or perhaps Ritchie, Virtanen).

Also the lack of 2015 first rounder may create a little bit of an extra pressure on GM to really make sure to improve the team and staff (it's actually sad to think like this) as he simply can not afford to ice a team full of questions marks in a "McDavid year" without the pick...

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
Draft Sam.
Trade for Max.

Have all three Reinharts play for Bridgeport.

At least one of them is guaranteed to be a stud... preferably Griffin, as the other two play the same position [and so does JT]... not to mention he's the one under contract already.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
And if we really like Strome's game apparently his long lost twin brother will be available as well.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Brendan-Perlini

"In the early years of Brandon Perlini's career in the OHL, he shares many similarities to Ryan Strome. Both were high draft picks if the Barrie Colts, but after failing to breakout were shipped to Niagara before the end of their rookie seasons (Strome for Pietrangelo and Perlini for Theoret). Both Perlini and Strome finished their rookie seasons strong in Niagara giving fans a glimpse of their potential and hope for the future. This year Perlini is on pace to finish the season with very comparable numbers to the numbers Strome set at the same age. However, the point projections and career movements are where the comparasins end. Strome is a dynamic playmaking center, while Brandon Perlini is a natural goal-scoring left winger."

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Wait... What? What did I missed? I thought that our 1st rounder was gone in the Vanek trade. Is it true that we can keep it if it's "better" than 10th overall?

edit: Found the information by myself...

Buffalo will receive a first-round pick in 2014 or 2015 at New York's choice, if the pick is a top 10 selection at the 2014 draft. If the pick is outside the top 10, then this will remain a 2014 pick.

This is awesome! Let's lose some more, than we will have one of the highest picks and a new coach! Win-win... almost!

Last edited:

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I totally see us finishing bottom 5 this year, keeping our pick, then having the #1 pick next year only to have it go to the Sabres. That's just something that would totally happen to us.

Part of the problem with letting the sabres have the 1st round pick this year is it's basically telling the fanbase "well we're gonna stink again next year." Even if we all know deep down we're going to stink, and even if we all know that letting the sabres have our pick this year, regardless of where that pick sits, is the right move, it sends a bad message to the fans that management thinks we're going to be awful again.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
As much as this forum likes to hate on Snow, he really worked the fine print in the Vanek deal.

And if it turns out we keep the pick this year and miss the playoffs again next year there's a chance it could be one of the worst blunders of all time.

Would you rather have an Ekblad or another Tavares?

Sam Reinhart has a chance to be good but he is no JT.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
I totally see us finishing bottom 5 this year, keeping our pick, then having the #1 pick next year only to have it go to the Sabres. That's just something that would totally happen to us.

Part of the problem with letting the sabres have the 1st round pick this year is it's basically telling the fanbase "well we're gonna stink again next year." Even if we all know deep down we're going to stink, and even if we all know that letting the sabres have our pick this year, regardless of where that pick sits, is the right move, it sends a bad message to the fans that management thinks we're going to be awful again.

There is no way the fans can live with another 2 years of lottery picks. Its insane.. If they give the draft pick this year to Buffalo with the intention of getting the #1 next year then look for our real #1 John Tavares to bolt 3 years later.

We are past being a lottery team and to say well lets choke again next year is something that this organization is contemplating then the league needs to step in and do something. We are Brooklyn bound and have all this revenue coming in. Wang crying poverty and not spending is criminal.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

Barkov dominated thhe FEL at 17 years old.

ekblad is really good. You dont play in the ohl at 15 and not be ridiculous. he goes ahead of alot of players...cough...nino...cough

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
ekblad is really good. You dont play in the ohl at 15 and not be ridiculous. he goes ahead of alot of players...cough...nino...cough

Is the kid really good enough to play in the NHL next year? Never seen him but he seems big enough to handle the physical side. We certainly need the BPA but do we go 3 years in a row with our first pick being a defenseman?

MattMartin-I noticed Ritchie last week when reviewing projected draft lists and he seems to fill a void we have NOW-true power forward with skills and equal amount of aggression. He seems to be projected out in the #6-8 range so if we end up in top 2, maybe we trade down to pick this kid up and get an asset to go along.

Can't believe looking at draft lists in December this year :shakehead:facepalm:

scott99

May 13, 2005
And if we really like Strome's game apparently his long lost twin brother will be available as well.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Brendan-Perlini

"In the early years of Brandon Perlini's career in the OHL, he shares many similarities to Ryan Strome. Both were high draft picks if the Barrie Colts, but after failing to breakout were shipped to Niagara before the end of their rookie seasons (Strome for Pietrangelo and Perlini for Theoret). Both Perlini and Strome finished their rookie seasons strong in Niagara giving fans a glimpse of their potential and hope for the future. This year Perlini is on pace to finish the season with very comparable numbers to the numbers Strome set at the same age. However, the point projections and career movements are where the comparasins end. Strome is a dynamic playmaking center, while Brandon Perlini is a natural goal-scoring left winger."

I'm a big Perlini fan, could be this years Mantha.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
And if it turns out we keep the pick this year and miss the playoffs again next year there's a chance it could be one of the worst blunders of all time.

Sam Reinhart has a chance to be good but he is no JT.

I was referring to McDAVID ie..would you rather draft Ekblad or go for McDavid in 2015

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
I was hoping to not pay much attention to this years draft, but if the Isles pick inside the top 2 I would 100% keep the pick.
Reinhart will be a solid player dare I say a better version of Josh Bailey.:sarcasm: Did I really just say that
Ekblad will also be a good player, he does everything pretty well or very well at his level so far. The problem here is the Isles already have 2 Dmen knocking on the door, do u really want to go into next season with 3 rookies, Hamonic, Vish and other D fodder.
The 2 other players I like in the first round are Ritchie and Glover.
Glover can be had later in the first and plays a solid all around defensive game with a very good first pass.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I was referring to McDAVID ie..would you rather draft Ekblad or go for McDavid in 2015

I may be naive (dumb, stupid, whatever), But I really don't think we will be as bad as we are this year. I think you will see an influx of new blood and TALENT. Strome and Lee should be with the team fulltime, the goalie situation should be more stable, and Griffin Reinhart and Pulock (or one of Mayfield or Pedan) should be helping us defensively. If we wind up with a top 5 pick, I think we should take it, don't think we will be top 5 the following year headed into Brooklyn. If we wind up with Reinhart or Ekblad, that just gives this team one more stud prospect. Ekblad is better than Reinhart and Pulock, imagine having all 3 !

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
My top 5 for us INPO is

Little Reinhart
Ekblad
Leon Draisaitl
Dal Colle
Ritchie

I love Draisitle and could be a great winger for Strome or Tavares

Also not first round but I love USA goalie Thatcher Demko....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad