2014 NHL Draft Discussion: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
2013-14 OHL Coaches Poll Winners

Sam Bennett finished 1st in the Eastern Conference's Smartest Player, Best Playmaker, and Best Stickhandler categories, as well as finishing 3rd in Best Defensive Forward.

Aaron Ekblad finished 1st in the Eastern Conference's Best Offensive Defenseman and Best Defensive Defenseman, Best Shot and Hardest Shot, and 2nd in Best Penalty Killer.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida

Sam Bennett finished 1st in the Eastern Conference's Smartest Player, Best Playmaker, and Best Stickhandler categories, as well as finishing 3rd in Best Defensive Forward.

Aaron Ekblad finished 1st in the Eastern Conference's Best Offensive Defenseman and Best Defensive Defenseman, Best Shot and Hardest Shot, and 2nd in Best Penalty Killer.

Did Crapuano have a vote?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Very impressive results for players in their draft years (beating out drafted players). I especially like that they both do well in offensive and defensive voting.

When I think of NHL players that I'd love to have on my team, Toews is very near the top of the list. It seems that Bennett has a similar type of game (obviously not saying he's Toews, yada yada).

Barzilla

Sep 16, 2009
Dirty O
So hypothetically, if we win the lottery. Who would you guys want to draft first overall? Reinhart or ekblad?

scott99

May 13, 2005
So hypothetically, if we win the lottery. Who would you guys want to draft first overall? Reinhart or ekblad?

Can't lose either way, but I think the Poll on the top of the page show's how close our board feels about those 2. My preference is Ekblad, I think he is a rare talent. Reinhart is a helluva prospect as well, one draft site said he compares to Nugent-Hopkins as far as his skating and passing. I also am a huge fan of Bennett. So I hope we pick in the top 3, and don't go off of the board.

I got the Hockey News Future Watch last night, and oddly enough, they rank Draisatl #1 ! Followed by Ekblad, Bennett, and Reinhart #4 ! Interesting ranking.

OhNoItsComeau57

Sep 15, 2006
New Orleans
Can't lose either way, but I think the Poll on the top of the page show's how close our board feels about those 2. My preference is Ekblad, I think he is a rare talent. Reinhart is a helluva prospect as well, one draft site said he compares to Nugent-Hopkins as far as his skating and passing. I also am a huge fan of Bennett. So I hope we pick in the top 3, and don't go off of the board.

I got the Hockey News Future Watch last night, and oddly enough, they rank Draisatl #1 ! Followed by Ekblad, Bennett, and Reinhart #4 ! Interesting ranking.

Yea, got mine the other day and was surprised as well. As we are mostly guaranteed a top 5 pick at this point I think we will get a good prospect no matter if it is Reinhart, Bennett, Ekblad, Dal Colle or the Deutschland Dangler.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I don't care how good our defensive prospects are you take the BPA and I think that's Ekblad. You can never have enough big D-men in your system and he's a right shot to boot!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Where would the top three or 4 this year fall in next year's draft? Somewhere between 5-10?

The only two who would likely bump this year's top players down the rankings are Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel. After that, there's no real evidence that the players projected from #3 and beyond are superior to this year's top guys. They could end up being, obviously, but the only two who thus far project to being superior to this year's is the two at the top of the draft.

This is why I think this year's draft is being underrated. It's gotten to the point where people are believing that the top guys this year would have a hard time even cracking next year's top-10, which simply isn't the case. Next year's draft's advantage over this year's primarily boils down to McDavid and Eichel.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
The only two who would likely bump this year's top players down the rankings are Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel. After that, there's no real evidence that the players projected from #3 and beyond are superior to this year's top guys. They could end up being, obviously, but the only two who thus far project to being superior to this year's is the two at the top of the draft.

This is why I think this year's draft is being underrated. It's gotten to the point where people are believing that the top guys this year would have a hard time even cracking next year's top-10, which simply isn't the case. Next year's draft's advantage over this year's primarily boils down to McDavid and Eichel.

i think people should also pay attention to that fact that a guy like eichel is only 4 months younger than a guy like bennett. if bennett was to be drafted next year, he would have yet another monster season under his belt and i am not convinced that he couldn't give eichel a run for his money. alas, bennett was born in june and eichel in october, so i guess we'll never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad