2014 NHL Draft Discussion: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
the only player worth drafting would be ekblad, he can also play in the ahl next year too cause he was drafted into the ohl early

That would be an argument against him. Possible additions to bridgeport next year include pelech, pokka, pulock and reinhart. Add pedan, mayfield, de haan and you can see the logjam coming already. Better to draft the forward reinhart and restock the junior prospect pool.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That would be an argument against him. Possible additions to bridgeport next year include pelech, reinhart and pulock. Add pedan, mayfield, de haan and you can see the logjam coming already. Better to draft the forward reinhart and restock the junior prospect pool.

As I posted above, startainfection is wrong about Ekblad's AHL eligibility. The criteria, in general terms, is either 4 full seasons of junior hockey (this is Ekblad's 3rd year) or 20 years old the year the AHL season begins (Ekblad is only turning 18 next year).

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
Like I said before, if we have a top 10 pick we have to keep it and Snow WILL keep it. This draft has plenty of talent.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Anyone know anything about this kid Nick Ritchie? From the little I have read, seems to be a big bodied winger with a pretty good touch.

He is a prototypical power forward in the mold of Milan Lucic, with a pro shot already.

He has a devastating physical game, smart offensive player, and is a skilled fighter. Absolute manchild. Some were worried last year that his style of play led to too many injuries, but he's managing to stay healthy thus far this year. If the Isles pick around 5-7 they'll need to strongly consider him as I believe he'll step right into the NHL next year and has unique upside.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He is a prototypical power forward in the mold of Milan Lucic, with a pro shot already.

He has a devastating physical game, smart offensive player, and is a skilled fighter. Absolute manchild. Some were worried last year that his style of play led to too many injuries, but he's managing to stay healthy thus far this year. If the Isles pick around 5-7 they'll need to strongly consider him as I believe he'll step right into the NHL next year and has unique upside.

Ritchie is really a throwback to when the term powerforward referred to a guy who throws his weight around consistently and drops the gloves, as opposed to nowadays where a powerforward is someone who just has some size and uses it to fend off checkers and drive to the net, but doesn't necessarily hit a lot or fight at all.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Ritchie is really a throwback to when the term powerforward referred to a guy who throws his weight around consistently and drops the gloves, as opposed to nowadays where a powerforward is someone who just has some size and uses it to fend off checkers and drive to the net, but doesn't necessarily hit a lot or fight at all.

Would we be referring to niño ? Good1

YashinWorksHard

Jun 14, 2012
I think Nylander is the most talented and dynamic player in this draft, i would love to take him. Not ready and has his weaknesses though. A top six with Tavares, Vanek, Strome and Nylander would be deadly.

MarginallyTalented

Mar 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Considering the isles will pick like 3-5, how much do you guys think it would cost us to get Sam on the team? Would love to see the Reinhart bros on the same team. Since there is no true #1 this year, I don't think it would be that much

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Considering the isles will pick like 3-5, how much do you guys think it would cost us to get Sam on the team? Would love to see the Reinhart bros on the same team. Since there is no true #1 this year, I don't think it would be that much

I don't think we could/should. If that happens, then we are out of a 1st and 2nd in '15, which means we probably shouldn't be dealing anymore picks(it would at least cost us our '14 2nd+ to move up to 1st). I'd rather just sit back and take one of Ekblad, DalColle, Bennett or Nylander. The top-5 is strong. IMO the drop-off comes after that.

Ron C.

Sponsor
Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
Top 3, yes.
4 or 5... Maybe.
Top 6-10.... probably not.

If we have no plan to hire or trade for real defensemen by next season then no, do not use it this year, because we are going to suck apples next year as well. It is that simple.

Sabres fan coming in peace. This is the big question. At what point will Garth decide to keep the pick? Certainly, Reinhart , Ekblad and DalColle, but after that at what point does he defer? Even disregarding McDavid, the 2015 draft is projected by many to be much better in the top 10 than 2014.

I have to admit that I look to the standings for the Isles pick. Best case for us would be 4-6. Garth would have a tough decision. I would be happy with either (I would have preferred Vanek to a long term deal, but that ship has sailed).

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Sabres fan coming in peace. This is the big question. At what point will Garth decide to keep the pick? Certainly, Reinhart , Ekblad and DalColle, but after that at what point does he defer? Even disregarding McDavid, the 2015 draft is projected by many to be much better in the top 10 than 2014.

I have to admit that I look to the standings for the Isles pick. Best case for us would be 4-6. Garth would have a tough decision. I would be happy with either (I would have preferred Vanek to a long term deal, but that ship has sailed).

It's a tough spot. Regardless of how you want to pump up the '15 draft, deferring a top-10 pick is basically implying that you expect to struggle again next season, which could really bother some fans.

My hope is that if/when Vanek is traded, which I'm sure he will be if they continue to free-fall(no chance he re-signs if they are a bottom-5 or 10 team), they are able to get at least one 1st rounder in return. With another 1st in your back pocket, it might be easier to pass on a pick in the 6-10 range. If that pick is top-5 though, I'd keep it regardless of what we get back for TV.

Ron C.

Sponsor
Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
I want NYI to defer. Any extra chance at McDavid is preferred. We don't have that Crosby. Toews, Tavares player on our roster...nor have we since Lafontaine. I just want to win once in my lifetime.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I want NYI to defer. Any extra chance at McDavid is preferred. We don't have that Crosby. Toews, Tavares player on our roster...nor have we since Lafontaine. I just want to win once in my lifetime.

I would cry myself to sleep for the rest of my life if our pick turned into McDavid, only for another team.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I remember when I was a kid I really wanted Michael Nylander to play for the Islanders simply because "Nylander" is two letters and a space away from "NY Islander". Seeing as though we never got Satan playing for the Devils, St. Louis playing for the Blues, or Ranger playing for the Rangers, I gotta believe we can make this happen.

The Fabulous Reinhart bros would be nice too. If we're picking top 10, don't defer the pick. Fire Cappy, bring in a legit #1 goaltender via UFA, and we won't be in the running for McDavid.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I remember when I was a kid I really wanted Michael Nylander to play for the Islanders simply because "Nylander" is two letters and a space away from "NY Islander". Seeing as though we never got Satan playing for the Devils, St. Louis playing for the Blues, or Ranger playing for the Rangers, I gotta believe we can make this happen.

The Fabulous Reinhart bros would be nice too. If we're picking top 10, don't defer the pick. Fire Cappy, bring in a legit #1 goaltender via UFA, and we won't be in the running for McDavid.

I'd like to think that we'll be much better next year with a couple of changes, but as long as we miss the playoffs that pick could turn into McDavid. We don't have to be bottom-5 anymore to have a shot at the 1st pick.

I almost cried when the Sabres picked Ric Seiling over Mike Bossy.

You guys can get him with your own pick!!!

Honestly though, I'll be happy as long as he's not a Ranger or a Penguin... or a Flyer I guess.

Ron C.

Sponsor
Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
I'd like to think that we'll be much better next year with a couple of changes, but as long as we miss the playoffs that pick could turn into McDavid. We don't have to be bottom-5 anymore to have a shot at the 1st pick.

You guys can get him with your own pick!!!

Honestly though, I'll be happy as long as he's not a Ranger or a Penguin... or a Flyer I guess.

Ouch. The Blackhawks could still jump up to pick him (Kane) :laugh:

I expect us to be bad again two years from now, but the last time we had the lottery ball advantage, Pittsburgh got Crosby and we got Marek Zagrapan. :cry:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I cant belive we are here already..

Draft Griffs Brother or Ekblad if we are not in potision to do so, Trade the pick...

We need A REAL NHL caliber golie and a few real defenseman....Overpay if you have to IDC

CLUTTERSTACHE*

Draft Pick Watch (Currently Sitting @ #2 Overall)

top 10 protected pick thank god

Who do we draft?

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
top 10 protected pick thank god

Who do we draft?

For the last time, fans need to stop rejoicing over having the Top 10 protected pick rule as part of the Vanek trade. If next year we finish dead last and miss out on Connor McDavid, the Vanek trade will go down as the worst trade in the history of hockey.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
Also, news flash, this years top 10 sucks compared to the past 5 years worth of drafts. Really. Worst top 10 in a long time. It is deep, but there are no obvious super stars. No Seth Jones, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad