2014 NHL Draft Discussion: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

May 13, 2005
-Yes I honestly expect us to compete for a top-5 draft pick next year (thus lottery). By your logic people would have said the same exact thing heading into this season-and yet here we are in contention for yet another bottom-5 finish.

-Even if we lose the lottery-a top 5 pick in that year wont be that much different than this year (which is one of the weakest drafts in recent history).

-As I said if you trade Vanek and grab a 1st for this year-we can still draft in the 1st round (although late).

-Why do you think the Isles wont be in the lottery next year? Just wondering? Because unless they SEVERELY upgrade (2 top-4 minimum defensemen), a starting goaltending, more secondary scoring (our secondary scoring right now is PATHETIC).

Not trying to be a down, or a "chicken little"-I'm just stating the obvious. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
The offseason will be the main indicator to see if the Isles are gonna be a lottery team or not next season. If they sign FA's that can actually help this team, and get their goaltending situation resolved, then we should be a playoff caliber team like last season. IF they sign FA's like PMB and Regin, we will be a lottery team once again. The problem with that is, FA starts AFTER the draft, so the Islanders have to decide whether to keep the pick BEFORE free agency.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
To be honest, I really don't care about the birthday thing. People were saying the same thing about Pulock too. I really don't care, if you're a good player, and can help the team win, who cares. For Pete's sake, Jagr is 41, and he's helping the Devils, leads their team in goals, assists and points. I wish we signed Jagr and Ryder instead of PMB and Regin, whatever, that's a different story. My point is age doesn't matter, especially in the draft when if you have a late birthday, you might be 6 months older, who cares ?

That wasn't really my point. I was just saying that Reinhart's got an extra year of development on some of the other forwards, so he might look more "advanced" based on that rather than simply because he's truly that far ahead of anyone else.

In any case, Reinhart may end up being better by far than anyone in this draft regardless. But I was only pointing out that if he looks more refined/developed than some of the other forwards rated around him, age could be a factor in how polished his game is.

Also, it wasn't about the age, per se, but rather the extra year he's had developing at the major junior level. You're right, age-wise he's only a few months older than some of his draftee peers. But development wise, he's got an extra year on them. Which is absolutely huge when it comes to junior players and their development curve at that age.

scott99

May 13, 2005
That wasn't really my point. I was just saying that Reinhart's got an extra year of development on some of the other forwards, so he might look more "advanced" based on that rather than simply because he's truly that far ahead of anyone else.

In any case, Reinhart may end up being better by far than anyone in this draft regardless. But I was only pointing out that if he looks more refined/developed than some of the other forwards rated around him, age could be a factor in how polished his game is.

Also, it wasn't about the age, per se, but rather the extra year he's had developing at the major junior level. You're right, age-wise he's only a few months older than some of his draftee peers. But development wise, he's got an extra year on them. Which is absolutely huge when it comes to junior players and their development curve at that age.

I just think people make too much of that late birthday stuff, it really is just something people came up with as a talking point. You never really heard about it until the last 10 years or so when the draft has become so over analyzed. Tavares was a late birthday, how's that worked out so far ? So were the Sedin twins, they worked out ok as well.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I just think people make too much of that late birthday stuff, it really is just something people came up with as a talking point. You never really heard about it until the last 10 years or so when the draft has become so over analyzed. Tavares was a late birthday, how's that worked out so far ? So were the Sedin twins, they worked out ok as well.

:laugh: You're totally not getting what I'm saying. You're making it sound like I'm saying it's a bad thing, or suggesting it's a sign a player will bust. I'm not even making too much of it. I'm repeating myself in this thread about it because I feel I have to clarify my meaning to you because you think I'm somehow trying to be negative about Reinhart.

All I'm saying is when comparing a guy like Reinhart to a guy like Dal Colle or Bennett, it's just something to keep in mind. Reinhart's season *last year* is a closer comparison to Bennett's and Dal Colle's season *this year*, in terms of comparing where each respective player is in their development curve. If Reinhart is still seen as better, so be it.

Again, it's not a negative thing or a suggestion it's a sign of any sort of future NHL potential.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
The offseason will be the main indicator to see if the Isles are gonna be a lottery team or not next season. If they sign FA's that can actually help this team, and get their goaltending situation resolved, then we should be a playoff caliber team like last season. IF they sign FA's like PMB and Regin, we will be a lottery team once again. The problem with that is, FA starts AFTER the draft, so the Islanders have to decide whether to keep the pick BEFORE free agency.

A lot can change two or three months from now. By the end of the year our secondary scoring could be strong with an established Strome and Nelson. Our defense could also be respectable with a healthy Vis and Strait as well as an established deHaan.

It's possible that the only real need this offseason will be a #1 goaltender. With Reinhart making the jump next year as well as all the depth we will have in Bridgeport(Pulock, Mayfield, Pedan, Donovan, Pokka, Pelech), our defense really might not need much if any tinkering.

Getting a goalie will be a definite, but time will tell whether we will need to spend big in other areas.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

When's the last time they did that?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Streit, PAP, and Moulson, I believe. Been a few years.

All three were varying amounts of reaching.

I think it would be great if they managed to claim a UFA who came in with a proven track record, not reclamation project John Doe, the late round pick that is very good at (whatever), but also very bad at (other whatever).

If they didn't show willingness to go there this past summer, why will quality UFAs suddenly hurl themselves at the club next summer?

MarginallyTalented

Mar 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
I'm really starting to think we should give Buffalo the pick this year not only because of McDavid but that draft has some high end talent. Barzal, Eichel, Hanifin, Konecny, Strome could all challenge for first overall this year. Actually I think Barzal, Eichel and Hanifin would easily go 1st this year

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I'm really starting to think we should give Buffalo the pick this year not only because of McDavid but that draft has some high end talent. Barzal, Eichel, Hanifin, Konecny, Strome could all challenge for first overall this year. Actually I think Barzal, Eichel and Hanifin would easily go 1st this year

Doubtful.

Having seen some of these players, I disagree. Eichel would be the only player I think may challenge for 1st overall this year. The others (Hanifin, Barzal) would be in the mix with Dal Colle, etc., but wouldn't be favored. I would also put Ekblad above them.

This kind of stuff is always said by fans, but it's rarely true. People have new car syndrome, and next year's toys always seem shinier. They rarely are. I guarantee one of the above players will take a step back development-wise next year.

MarginallyTalented

Mar 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Doubtful.

Having seen some of these players, I disagree. Eichel would be the only player I think may challenge for 1st overall this year. The others (Hanifin, Barzal) would be in the mix with Dal Colle, etc., but wouldn't be favored. I would also put Ekblad above them.

This kind of stuff is always said by fans, but it's rarely true. People have new car syndrome, and next year's toys always seem shinier. They rarely are. I guarantee one of the above players will take a step back development-wise next year.

Thanks for the input!I may have went a bit over board with the last two but you really don't think Barzal or Hanifin would go first this year? What makes you think Reinhart/Ekblad would go before them in the draft?

Arsenalogist24

Dec 10, 2013
I think if we were to keep this years 1st it has to be for an elite pick. That's why I think top 5 or give it to Buffalo and keep the 2015 in case of a McDavid lotto win. Top 5 will easily land us a prospect who will be NHL ready or right on the cusp of making our team from camp. Ekblad I think could easily play top 4 in our system and I truly think Dal Colle or Reinhart could play top 6 or 9 minutes as wingers right away in the NHL.

Arsenalogist24

Dec 10, 2013
I think if we were to keep this years 1st it has to be for an elite pick. That's why I think top 5 or give it to Buffalo and keep the 2015 in case of a McDavid lotto win. Top 5 will easily land us a prospect who will be NHL ready or right on the cusp of making our team from camp. Ekblad I think could easily play top 4 in our system and I truly think Dal Colle or Reinhart could play top 6 or 9 minutes as wingers right away in the NHL.

And I know Reinhart and Dal Colle are technically listed as centers but as we've seen especially with Nelson going from center in college/AHL to being a damn good winger on the JT-Okposo line in the NHL and even with Bailey (not so much right now) to wing its a lot easier to become a successful winger in the NHL so I think they can both become impact players right away in our line up

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
picture.php

We can catch Buffalo. Capuano has them right there.

Gotta get that #1. Our defense pretty much needs Ekblad next year.

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
Ekblad is the pick, if he is on the board Ekblad is the pick. I don't care that we have Big Griff & a bunch of other D prospects, none of those guys are sure things. You take Ekblad.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Even with the top overall pick?

Yes. I think Ekblad is elite. Sam Reinhart is a nice offensive player, but I don't think he's elite. Ekblad is a mixture of Griffin Reinhart (shutdown Dman) and Pulock (offensive Dman), and he's better than both.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Thanks for the input!I may have went a bit over board with the last two but you really don't think Barzal or Hanifin would go first this year? What makes you think Reinhart/Ekblad would go before them in the draft?
No, I don't.

They are simply better players. Reinhart is becoming a little underrated on HF. Barzal is a nice offensive player, but Reinhart has him beat and is better all-around. He's got a higher IQ and will be a top line player in the NHL.

Barzal is hovering close to a PPG so far. Last year Reinhart put up closer to a 1.2 PPG pace and this year he's really refining his overall game.

Ekblad is on another level than Hanifin. Again, it comes down to IQ. I think Hanifin might have a more natural leaning towards the offensive side of the game, but he's not nearly as solid defensively. Ekblad is near flawless at times defensively. Unbeatable one-on-one and a catalyst from the backend.

Yes. I think Ekblad is elite. Sam Reinhart is a nice offensive player, but I don't think he's elite. Ekblad is a mixture of Griffin Reinhart (shutdown Dman) and Pulock (offensive Dman), and he's better than both.

Agree and disagree. Ekblad really doesn't play like Pulock at all. He is cut from the same mold as Reinhart, but he's more talented overall. Plays the same stay-at-home safe game, the difference is he capitalizes on his chances at a much better rate than Reinhart due to his talent level. Pulock is lacking on the defensive side of the game and doesn't quite have the same poise in his own zone. He also takes more chances offensively than the other two.

Bridgeman

Mar 1, 2013
Tampa FL
To say Ekblad is on a different level is simply wrong! Below is a mention of Hanifin in the Redline report from a year and a half ago. Hanifin will be a stud and will continue to develop.

It is not often we write in these pages about prospects who are still 3 years
away from being drafted, but the recent select 15 festival confirmed for us what
we had seen last winter from a precocious 14 year old skating for St.
Sebastians. We don't think it's hyperbole at all to proclaim right now that not
only defenseman NOAH HANIFIN
the best 97 in the US, but we're confident he will become the best player out of
the New England area in the last 20 years.
Hanifin quite literally has it all. Already tipping the scale at 6-3', 195 he
has extraordinary size/strength, mean aggression, swagger, presence, a cannon
shot and sublime passing skills. Plus his hockey sense is off the charts.
We liken his to that of the aforementioned SETH JONES. The only difference is
that Hanifin is playing at nearly the same level on the ice right now that Jones
is performing at--- and Jones is 2.5 years older and took 2 years at the NTDP
and lots of high caliber international play to get to this level. We honestly
believe Hanifin could play on the U-18 blue line this year and never look out of
place.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
To say Ekblad is on a different level is simply wrong! Below is a mention of Hanifin in the Redline report from a year and a half ago. Hanifin will be a stud and will continue to develop.

It is not often we write in these pages about prospects who are still 3 years
away from being drafted, but the recent select 15 festival confirmed for us what
we had seen last winter from a precocious 14 year old skating for St.
Sebastians. We don't think it's hyperbole at all to proclaim right now that not
only defenseman NOAH HANIFIN
the best 97 in the US, but we're confident he will become the best player out of
the New England area in the last 20 years.
Hanifin quite literally has it all. Already tipping the scale at 6-3', 195 he
has extraordinary size/strength, mean aggression, swagger, presence, a cannon
shot and sublime passing skills. Plus his hockey sense is off the charts.
We liken his to that of the aforementioned SETH JONES. The only difference is
that Hanifin is playing at nearly the same level on the ice right now that Jones
is performing at--- and Jones is 2.5 years older and took 2 years at the NTDP
and lots of high caliber international play to get to this level. We honestly
believe Hanifin could play on the U-18 blue line this year and never look out of
place.

Redline is always right. :sarcasm:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
were going to miss out on Ekblad just like we just missed on others...

don't worry though Draistle or Dal Colle will be good for us in 6-7 years....

I predict

Buf- Reinhart
EDM-Ekblad
NYI-Draistle/Dal Colle

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Christmas and the Draft, together again, like Savior-Garth/Wang have always intended. Hohoho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad