2014 NHL Draft Discussion: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Unless we pick top 2, I'm not interested in this draft. It's weak and would prefer not to defer. I'd rather save my number 1 for 2015 and use that to trade up to McDavid. 1/2 punch.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Unless we pick top 2, I'm not interested in this draft. It's weak and would prefer not to defer. I'd rather save my number 1 for 2015 and use that to trade up to McDavid. 1/2 punch.

Trading up will be impossible. No one will move that pick, not unless a star player is involved, and the only star we have is Tavares.

Riddick

Feb 29, 2004
jebus, mcdavid is still TWO years away from the draft? i thought he was draft eligible right after McKinnon.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
jebus, mcdavid is still TWO years away from the draft? i thought he was draft eligible right after McKinnon.

haha yeah..I've been watching him since the year before he got into the OHL. It feels like forever.

I don't think you need a superstar, but you do need to give up something.

Something like Strome + Pokka + Brock Nelson + Poulin OR Koskinen OR other goalie prospect + 2nd rounder + our first. We probably have to throw in a top 6 as well. This is assuming he is living up to his hype. If he just scores 100 pts/season in the O...then he could be anywhere from Schremp to a very good top 3.

Lessee...Lindros went for Forsberg + Hextall + Chris Simon + Mike Ricci + Kerry Huffman + Steve Duchesne, 1st rounder (jocelyn thibault) + another 1st (traded to Leafs) + 15 mill in cash. Mind you..Lindros was way more hyped than McDavid..so much so..he was in the hockey news at like age 12.

I dono..if you knew you could get JT from another team..what would you give up?

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Lessee...Lindros went for Forsberg + Hextall + Chris Simon + Mike Ricci + Kerry Huffman + Steve Duchesne, 1st rounder (jocelyn thibault) + another 1st (traded to Leafs) + 15 mill in cash. Mind you..Lindros was way more hyped than McDavid..so much so..he was in the hockey news at like age 12.

I know this is hypothetical, but keep in mind Lindros was traded because he refused to play for Quebec. That's what made him available, otherwise I'm sure he would have been untouchable.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
right now its looking like we will have a top 10 pick but that really doesn't help us much imo unless we win the lottery and get Reinhart or Ekblad

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
im assuming we can decide to defer the pick after the lottery is held right? just our luck we defer the pick and then win the lottery

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Imagine if we used out first-round pick this year, then Tavares suffered a season-ending injury next season and things spiraled out of control and we finished 30th overall, won the draft lottery, but Buffalo got to select McDavid?

That's my doomsday prediction for next season.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
I created a poll elsewhere to gauge what fans would do if the Isles finish 21st-30th, but what's the early consensus around here? Make a top-10 selection in 2014 or let Buffalo pick in order to keep your 1st-rounder in 2015?

I'm fairly certain if they end up with a top 10 pick this year that they will make the selection. Sends a really bad message to fans if they defer on the possibility of doing even worse the year heading into Brooklyn. Isles are in a tough spot because management speaks that the team has already moved forward into a contending phase (why the Vanek trade was made in the first place) yet now the team is not playing anywhere close to expectations.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I'm fairly certain if they end up with a top 10 pick this year that they will make the selection. Sends a really bad message to fans if they defer on the possibility of doing even worse the year heading into Brooklyn. Isles are in a tough spot because management speaks that the team has already moved forward into a contending phase (why the Vanek trade was made in the first place) yet now the team is not playing anywhere close to expectations.

Its a perfectly legit argument if they say they're deferring it because the draft is deeper next year overall, that means even if they pick 20th they may get someone better than a guy who is 10th this year.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Is a top 10 pick even worth keeping this year? Haven't heard any buzz about this draft or anyone in it. Can someone fill me in on who is projected to go 1st through 3rd?

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Anyone know anything about this kid Nick Ritchie? From the little I have read, seems to be a big bodied winger with a pretty good touch.

scott99

May 13, 2005
If you have a top 10 pick this year you have to use it.

Agreed, much rather keep the top 10. Hopefully with some talent influx next season (Strome, Lee, Reinhart, maybe Pulock, maybe one of Pedan or Mayfield), we won't suck as much as we do now. Therefore give Buffalo the pick in 2015 that hopefully will be anywhere from 16-22.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
If you have a top 10 pick this year you have to use it.

Top 3, yes.
4 or 5... Maybe.
Top 6-10.... probably not.

If we have no plan to hire or trade for real defensemen by next season then no, do not use it this year, because we are going to suck apples next year as well. It is that simple.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Top 3, yes.
4 or 5... Maybe.
Top 6-10.... probably not.

If we have no plan to hire or trade for real defensemen by next season then no, do not use it this year, because we are going to suck apples next year as well. It is that simple.

I think ultimately, the scouting staff will be given this decision. If they see someone they truly, truly, truly believe in, I think Garth gives them the green light to grab him.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
when can we make this decision?

It would be nice if we could decide at the draft table when we are on the clock.

That would make things interesting.

startainfection*

the only player worth drafting would be ekblad, he can also play in the ahl next year too cause he was drafted into the ohl early

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->