Injury Report: 2014 Injury Thread (Updates in First Post) | Beau Bennett 'out a couple weeks'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Just to be clear, there are partially torn ACLs vs full tear.

Full tear, the joint is generally too unstable to play on, barring some monstrous muscle development.
Partial tears....anything goes. You can play on partially tears, maybe not at full speed.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Because hockey players break out wrestling moves all the time, right? That'll totally happen again.

Because players get cut with skates all the time, right? Because players get wrist tendon injuries from dumping a puck in the corner all the time, right? Because players hurt their knee (for 6 weeks) from a fluke play in practice all the time, right? And players break out wrestling moves all the time, right?

At some point, the pro Bennett side, myself included, do have to recognize that fluky things happen to him and will likely continue to happen to him. They may seem unrelated, and they likely are. However, for whatever reason, Bennett seems prone to injury.

I really hope it stops happening and this is just a little scare on a road to a stable and consistently healthy career. All I'm saying is we can't pretend he doesn't do anything to put himself in these situations (whether it's a lack of strength, the way he plays, or even heredity although that he can't control).

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think he is going to have scares like this and we are going to always be concerned about him until he stays healthy for a year or two, but I think he will be there and make it through the playoffs.

If he didn't blow out his knee or anything stupid, I think he will want to play through anything nagging like he did with his wrist last playoffs.

I don't doubt the kid's heart, and once JR does his job with trades, I doubt we'll be all over Bennett about his health.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
It is just the way it is. Some guys are just injury prone. BB is one of them. He has very good ability but that rep follows him and those who like him will always have that thought when he plays. Until he proves differently, he is where he should be third line with Sutter.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
if even one of bennett's injuries was chronic or a repeat of a previous one, maybe you'd have a reason to think he'd be injured again

will he be? of course. all players get hurt. to this point none of bennett's injuries have been anything other than flukes and **** luck

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
is anything more played out than jokes about bennett being injury prone/brittle/always hurt?

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
if even one of bennett's injuries was chronic or a repeat of a previous one, maybe you'd have a reason to think he'd be injured again

will he be? of course. all players get hurt. to this point none of bennett's injuries have been anything other than flukes and **** luck

chris_crocker_leave_britney_alone.jpg

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
I'm still hesitant to call Bennett because he doesn't have any recurring injuries or anything... It's just like consistent bad luck. It's unreal.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Maybe someone with more hockey experience/knowledge than me can answer this. BB appears to me to skate more upright or tall as you will than most others. In sports I have played a good position has more knee flex/forward lean. Just my impression mind you with little experience playing hockey. Would that make him more vulnerable to certain injuries? Sorry if a stupid question.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
It's good to know we are going right back to assuming Bennett is going to miss significant time before we even know the results of his evaluation.:shakehead

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe someone with more hockey experience/knowledge than me can answer this. BB appears to me to skate more upright or tall as you will than most others. In sports I have played a good position has more knee flex/forward lean. Just my impression mind you with little experience playing hockey. Would that make him more vulnerable to certain injuries? Sorry if a stupid question.

Because he used to play roller hockey. It's just a posture thing. I don't think it'd lead to injuries.

At this point he's not "vulnerable" to specific injuries. He doesn't play a style that would lead to injuries, he's not small or slight of build and he's not prone to any specific type of injury (like Lindros with concussions or Michalek with knee injuries). And, as far as we know, his bones and ligaments are still made out of the same materials as every other human being.

I think his injury last night was a combination of a guy falling on him awkwardly but he probably re-aggravated whatever knee issue (MCL?) was not quite 100% from training camp. Aside from that you have a skate cut and a broken wrist (or something) which is all pretty flukey stuff.

It doesn't change the fact that all these injuries are going to affect him as an athlete physically, if not even mentally, as they pile up. He's had about 6-8 years worth of injuries in a 3 year span.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Just saw the MJ presser today. Said it was his decision to take Bennett out of the game, because he thought he didn't look comfortable. Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't miss much time at all. As others have said its encouraging that he did get back out there at all.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013

Not the injuries he's had. If anything, he's just reducing the power of his skating by not having optimal flex on his hips. He's really had a bunch of fluke injuries. The only injury he's had that would suggest there's anything wrong with him was the 2nd wrist injury which was called fluky but never fully explained, and it's possible that it was unavoidable as well. Getting cut with a skate blade, having a surgery not take, getting his skate kicked out and spraining his knee, having someone roll over and actively twist said knee. None of those things have anything to do with his constitution.

Some people are just prone to injuries, fluky or not. It sucks that he's already lost a full season worth of development that he'll never get back though.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Because he used to play roller hockey.

At this point he's not "vulnerable" to specific injuries. He doesn't play a style that would lead to injuries, he's not small or slight of build and he's not prone to any specific type of injury (like Lindros with concussions or Michalek with knee injuries). And, as far as we know, his bones and ligaments are still made out of the same materials as every other human being.

I think his injury last night was a combination of a guy falling on him awkwardly but he probably re-aggravated whatever knee issue (MCL?) was not quite 100% from training camp. Aside from that you have a skate cut and a broken wrist (or something) which is all pretty flukey stuff.

It doesn't change the fact that all these injuries are going to affect him as an athlete physically, if not even mentally, as they pile up. He's had about 6-8 years worth of injuries in a 3 year span.

Thanks! Forgot about the roller hockey. Makes sense.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
Beau is like the unreliable car that's always in the shop. Even when you can drive it you're always waiting for the engine to blow.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Beau is like the unreliable car that's always in the shop. Even when you can drive it you're always waiting for the engine to blow.

Unfortunately, this pretty much reflects how I feel every time I see him in a board scrum...

Hopefully, he can put the injury bug behind him, as I really do like his game, and he has the skill this team needs. Someone earlier said that he needs to spend a summer with Gary Roberts. I think I concur... :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad