Injury Report: 2014 Injury Thread (Updates in First Post) | Beau Bennett 'out a couple weeks'

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
You can't count on BB at all, it really doesn't matter how long hes out for now, hes just going to get injured again whenever he comes back.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Because hockey players break out wrestling moves all the time, right? That'll totally happen again.

penguins2946*

Does anyone here actually expect Bennett to stay healthy enough to be a long term top-6 solution here?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Because hockey players break out wrestling moves all the time, right? That'll totally happen again.

Uh, yeah, they do some dirty **** in the playoffs. That's the point. I just can't see Bennett making it through a long playoff run.

pinguino

Nov 24, 2014
People are overreacting here. Getting injured after someone’s knee gets twisted in that way after a barely legal hit like the one Bennett took yesterday has nothing to do with being made of glass or not. In fact it was very encouraging that Bennett still came back on ice. Which imo means that the injury shouldn’t be that serious and that the poor Beau will miss at maximum a few weeks.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
People are overreacting here. Getting injured after someone’s knee gets twisted in that way after a barely legal hit like the one Bennett took yesterday has nothing to do with being made of glass or not. In fact it was very encouraging that Bennett still came back on ice. Which imo means that the injury shouldn’t be that serious and that the poor Beau will miss at maximum a few weeks.
This. He's fine. That hit would have injured a guy like Adams.

The solution here isn't to throw Bennett onto the street. Rather, I think Beau, after watching him play a bit this year, should spend the summer with Gary Roberts. He not only wants to be an effective skater and playmaker, but also a forechecking machine. He needs the size to play on the boards.

He'll be fine.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

I don't think he looked encouraging at all when he came back on the ice. Reminded me of the time Godard tried to fight Carkner with an obviously broken orbital. Only a flesh wound...

I understand what Bennett was doing--with the injury-prone knock getting into territory where he's going to start being considered a "reclamation project" instead of a "young skill player." He probably felt he needed to prove that he was willing to play through pain. It's admirable, but beside the point.

Bennett's problem (well, biggest problem) is that he misses way, way too many games--period--not that he misses games that he's capable of playing (see Olausson, Frederik, who missed a month with a cracked tooth).

pinguino

Nov 24, 2014
I understand what Bennett was doing--with the injury-prone knock getting into territory where he's going to start being considered a "reclamation project" instead of a "young skill player." He probably felt he needed to prove that he was willing to play through pain. It's admirable, but beside the point.

Not saying you’re totally wrong but I highly doubt that someone with a serious knee injury –and with serious I mean badly stretched or even torn ligaments- comes back on ice and skates around like Bennett did.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Not saying you’re totally wrong but I highly doubt that someone with a serious knee injury –and with serious I mean badly stretched or even torn ligaments- comes back on ice and skates around like Bennett did.

Kasparaitis played for half a year with a torn ACL. Fetisov an entire year.

mxvinny

Jul 30, 2005
Arizona

It can be done. I have no ACL and I can still play hockey(sort of). It's scary and hurts like hell if/when your knee flexes the wrong way and rubs/pops on some part of the joint it's not supposed to. But if your in great shape your muscles can hold everything in place while you skate.
Beau looked cautious to me. Similar to how I feel when I play now. I guess we'll see the results soon enough. But I won't be surprised if it's ligament damage of some sort.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I really hope he does. If he can't, we only have Kapanen and Hornqvist long term as top-6 wingers.

Hopefully the 2015 1st... Maybe something Shero did pans out... :help:

JR really needs to do something about this, get another 2015 1st, flip Dumoulin for a comparable winger prospect, get a potential top 6 winger for Martin, make a trade with a package, do something. ****ing kidnap someone.

Even Johnston said he hopes this is the the end of the bad streak for Bennett, the coach is acknowledging the bad luck.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I really hope he does. If he can't, we only have Kapanen and Hornqvist long term as top-6 wingers.

Maybe Megna puts it together. It wouldn't be straight out of crazy town of it did happen. He has all of the tools, buk is raw as hell.

Sometimes roadblocks are put in your way to see how badly you want something in life. BB just needs to fight through this BS and I think he will.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

For the same reasons I told you Crosby would be ok when you wigged out a few years back... just my belief that other athlete have fought through injury problems and overcome them.

Sometimes they can't overcome their issues, but I believe BB will overcome it.

pinguino

Nov 24, 2014

Yes after training your knee muscles in a certain way over a certain amount of time this may be possible to some extent. But not right after breaking it. At least in my experience. I've seen some torn ACL's and I swear to you that all those guys were far away from continuing to play hockey, soccer or whatever.

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Sometimes they can't overcome their issues, but I believe BB will overcome it.

Can you rely on him as a key contributor this year? I don't think you can until he proves he can get past these injuries. Longterm? Who knows. Your guess is as good as mine.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
do you think crosby is as good now as he was pre-concussions?

Yep. He doesn't take the puck to the net like he did before, but I'm ok with that. Lemieux and Gretzky didn't do that either. Your aren't long for this league if you play that style for long at his size anyway.

If you put him with two capable wingers he will still easily shred wannabes like Voracek. He just won a scoring title by one of the biggest margins in two decades, playing with crap on his wing most of last season.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Yes after training your knee muscles in a certain way over a certain amount of time this may be possible to some extend. But not right after breaking it. At least in my experience. I've seen some torn ACL's and I swear to you that all those guys where far away from continuing to play hockey, soccer or whatever.

I don't think Kasparaitis missed very much time at all. Like, 3 or 4 games. Come to think of it, Yzerman played most of the 03-04 season with a torn ACL. Google says he barely missed any time, either. If they can do it, Bennett can play 3 shaky-looking shifts.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Can you rely on him as a key contributor this year? I don't think you can until he proves he can get past these injuries. Longterm? Who knows. Your guess is as good as mine.

I think he is going to have scares like this and we are going to always be concerned about him until he stays healthy for a year or two, but I think he will be there and make it through the playoffs.

If he didn't blow out his knee or anything stupid, I think he will want to play through anything nagging like he did with his wrist last playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad