GDT: 2014 Free Agent Frenzy - Shot Gun start at 12:00 PM est

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
where the hell do you see anyone saying Galchenyuk is a complete player? The point is that he's another offensive threat added to a team that already beat us in 7. He only makes them deeper if we meet them again and they're healthy, while we lost depth.

This.

I'm not saying he is an all star YET (buckle up guys) but this is exactly my point. Boston (like Bill posted) went all in and lost to Montreal and are now about to go through the big cuts that the salary cap brings. Boston had to win as much as possible with ELC contracts and now those ELC contracts need to be turned into RFA contracts.

Iginla just put it best:

- Boston was having trouble even offering him a 1 year deal.
- He wanted to make it work there.
- Boston has a lot of young players to sign and give raises to.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I wouldn't either, but he doesn't play their type of game.

Iggy isn't a 3rd line player, he's going to play with MacKinnon or Duchene. They play a run and gun type of game with crazy speed. Iginla... doesn't do that, to say the least. Don't think it's a great fit. But the team is great. Got the money he wanted and a chance at the Cup to boot. But he has a weird place there. He did well with Krejci and Lucic because they played a slower game that emphasized possession.

it's a great fit precisely *because* he doesn't play that kind of game. He adds an element of toughness and power on the wings that they are lacking along with a wealth of experience for a young team to benefit from.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
I think the Bruins also lost a lot of leadership with Thornton as well. Guy was a leader and has multiple rings from different teams. He was a great teammate and had a lot to do with the chemistry of the team. Iginla was a perfect fit but cap room issue reared its ugly head. Lets see what Chia can do but its not looking promising. I think the team is weaker this season than last.

I do not see how we would be better.

the Cap penalty hamstrings the ability to ice the same quality of team, let alone the raises etc.

No, the bruins will be hard pressed this year to show the same moxie in the regular season for sure.

Its too bad. Chara's legacy should be stained by a team that cannot even put out a full salaried complement.

We will have a solid team, but I do not see a favorite in the east anymore.

Lost alot of luster losing to the habs the way they did.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Lets see Iggy went to cup favorites in the Pens and lost. Next season he went to a cup favorite in Boston and lost. Might as well go to the Avs as they probably have as good as chance as anyone especially with MacKinnon and Landeskog entering their prime.

He will have more skill around him for sure.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
You know if they had real prospects, not the overrated ones this board loves, I would be ok with this.

I don't believe Ryan Spooner is a top 9 forward, or Alex Khokhlachev. Jared Knight is not a scrappy third line warrior (who can't make an AHL teams top 3 lines), Anthony Camara is a long term bottom 6 forward, Craig Cunningham is to small to be a true impact NHLer and Justin Florek might be an ok bottom 6 winger a year or two down the road.

Their best bet is packaging some of that lot with Bartkowski and a pick to grab a legit prospect who may be able to fill a bottom six roll this year but has upside.

I see no real help from Providence and Eriksson on the top line is basically admitting this is a retooling year, that will make Chara and Siedenberg a year older and past their primes.

If you can't compete, and I don't believe they can, blow it up, keep your young core (Lucic, Marchand, Bergeron, Hamilton, Krug, Smith and Miller,) resign Soderberg to 4-5 years and start retooling.

Well said man (Bolded). :laugh: Good post

Heisenberg77

Jan 8, 2007
It's funny seeing people constantly bringing up the "the Avs could be better than us in 2 years and Iggy could flourish".

Are people even considering the fact that he'll be 2 years older and even less effective? Who's to say the Avs will still want his salary on the books in that final year? Nothing is guaranteed.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
it's a great fit precisely *because* he doesn't play that kind of game. He adds an element of toughness and power on the wings that they are lacking along with a wealth of experience for a young team to benefit from.

I'd agree if he wasn't going to play with Duchene or MacKinnon. If he was going to play with someone like Stastny, sure. But he's going to be lagging behind. His experience definitely helps, but I don't think he'll be NEARLY effective on the ice as he was here. He'll be good on their PP, though.

You could also be very right.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Ah, regular season stats. Gotcha.

How did they match up head to head in the playoffs?

His whole argument is that a 7 game sample size in the playoffs shouldn't usurp the entire regular season and doesn't mean that Montreal is better than us going forward, and your response is basically "yeah, but how did they match up in the playoffs?".

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
you still have not admitted to the fact we were down our number 2 defenceman.

Wow this thread is horrible this year, losing iginla and adding half a season of sides makes us from prez trophy to bottom of the barrell holy hell.

Who said 'bottom of the barrel'? Stop putting poorly spelled words into my mouth...

Montreal was better last year and Boston is in a year of transition where they are subtracting players from last years roster.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
You know if they had real prospects, not the overrated ones this board loves, I would be ok with this.

I don't believe Ryan Spooner is a top 9 forward, or Alex Khokhlachev. Jared Knight is not a scrappy third line warrior (who can't make an AHL teams top 3 lines), Anthony Camara is a long term bottom 6 forward, Craig Cunningham is to small to be a true impact NHLer and Justin Florek might be an ok bottom 6 winger a year or two down the road.

Their best bet is packaging some of that lot with Bartkowski and a pick to grab a legit prospect who may be able to fill a bottom six roll this year but has upside.

I see no real help from Providence and Eriksson on the top line is basically admitting this is a retooling year, that will make Chara and Siedenberg a year older and past their primes.

If you can't compete, and I don't believe they can, blow it up, keep your young core (Lucic, Marchand, Bergeron, Hamilton, Krug, Smith and Miller,) resign Soderberg to 4-5 years and start retooling.

People seriously need to stop this crap. "grab a legit prospect who may be able to fill a bottom six roll this year but has upside" Like who? Names, man...names.

Bruins apparently have nothing coming up, share the riches of other teams.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Derek Engelland has a cap hit of 2.9 million a year for 3 years.

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Chris Kelly.

I don't think Kelly's contract is that bad considering what he provides, but using one bad contract to justify another is weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad